Build in progress- LP Content

Elias

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this is coming out great so far. as far as "blood tops" go, it ain't quite the same, but i have a "candy red top" if you need any pics for reference

w93Gibson_RedTop-014.jpg

That is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, it's nice to know that the red/ natural combination works as well in real life as it does in my mind.

Daily update:

I've changed my strategy a little bit. On a piece of mdf, I marked out where the recurve ends according to the plans. I then used a piece of binding as a ruler to curve between the marks and give it the right shape. A few minutes on the bandsaw and some sanding with the oscillating spindle sander, and I had my template.

I attached the template to the top of the guitar with some double sided carpet tape, and then used my router to clear away the wood from the edges and where the recurve will go.

DSCF1392.jpg

This gives me a lot better reference point for my carving. It's a slow process, but I'm really enjoying working with my chisels and removing one small bit at a time.

• Members

9558nb.jpg

I'm always afraid of using hard zirconia or corborundum discs against wood, especially at 10,000RPM. On my next carved top I was thinking about using these instead. They're flexible, so I'm thinking they'll be more forgiving of pressure, and the mesh will probably keep things a little cooler, thus reducing wood burn.

Those normal grinding discs actually work for you?

• Members

I know chisels are fun and all, but for me, I get WAY sick of them after the 3rd or fourth day. Have you seen anything like this:

VVgaX.jpg
Seems to knock a whole lot of time off the process, along with being pretty accurate looking. Whaddyathink?

I've heard of that method before, but this is the first time I've seen pics of the process. I'll probably make a bunch of templates and try that on the next ones.

If I didn't have way more time than money I'd probably have already bought a grinder by now.

• Members

Today I finally got tired of chiseling and decided to make another template for the router (you can see it behind the body in the pic).

DSCF1394.jpg

It looks a bit off right now, but once I add in the recurve and blend everything together I'm hoping it will look fine. I intentionally left some extra thickness on the top as well; it should look a little more normal it is sanded down.

For the last bit of it I ditched the chisels and have been working with an orbital sander and 120 grit paper. It's a little bit cumbersome to try and maneuver around the contours, but works a lot smoother than chisels and a lot quicker than hand sanding!

Unfortunately for this project, I've got a busy weekend coming up and probably won't get anything else done until Monday.

• Members

I managed to sneak in a little bit of time on the body this weekend. After covering the whole garage in dust with the sander, the top contour isn't perfect yet, but it actually looks pretty good.

DSCF1397.jpg

I've left the upper half as it is for now until I can get the neck and the joint done so I can blend everything together evenly. On to the neck...

I've got a problem, however: the borrowed bandsaw isn't big enough to handle the neck. I guess I just need to find other friends/ neighbours/ relatives who will let me use their tools.:thu:

• Members

purdy.

blacktops, blood tops, candy red tops....

i though i was the only one who like that style. im doing a "daphne blue top" on a kit build next month.

is that a plain top? looks like the top on my gibson raw power, with all the little mineral streaks. one of the prettiest tops. almost a shame you are going to cover it.

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad you are enjoying this. I do hope you continue to be patient as I'm a pretty slow worker...

Thanks to some connections at the local public school, I managed to sneak in to the woodshop and use the bandsaw to rough cut the neck. I didn't get any shots of the neck before I had set it up for routing the truss rod channel:

DSCF1412.jpg

Here's the neck with the truss rod test fitted:

DSCF1415.jpg

Next on the list is a bit of cleaning up around the headstock end for the truss rod to fit well, gluing in a small filler strip at the heel end, and sanding the top until it is perfectly flat. If I'm productive I may get around to starting to carve out the tenon today. If I'm not lucky, this is where it will stay for a while as I'm out of town for the next ten days.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion BG76. That method has been mentioned and I'll most likely give it a shot on the next few. Anything that saves time while still doing a good job is worth trying.

• Members

I use one of these for Strat contours with a flexible disk. They take off material REAL FAST, so you gotta be really careful it. I would NOT do a carve top with one personally

yeah, ive seen people use those for tops, but every time i use a power tool on a part, it mysteriously ends up smaller than it was supposed to be. i dont even like using the belt sander thingy for neck backs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived