Show me your Yamaha SG (gibson fans this is not for you)

bodezeffas

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, that's why I love HC! Always on the ball, awake 24/7, your eyes around the globe, conversant in every language!

The CD covers are endorsements by themselves:
http://www.casiopea.co.jp/rel_cd.html

This evolution of the horn is just what I have been waiting for, albeit short. I wonder what this model is called. Perhaps we can find it at
http://yamaha.jp/
? I did a seach for SG2000 hoping it was grouped with those, but it didn't show.

j_inspire.jpg

That looks pretty neat. Are they using the Finger Clamp with that?

• Members

yamaha sgs are great but they should really make it to look like a real sg

Why?

The Yammy SG's are more of Les Paul style(mahogany/maple) with a doublecut than an SG style guitar. The higher end models are also neck thru body construction..... a different animal entirely.

8^)

Wade

• Members

yamaha sgs are great but they should really make it to look like a real sg

ummm...IMO, the yamaha SG is THE real SG. if you want something that looks like a gibson, with gibson quality, then buy a gibson SG...if you want something that looks like a gibson w/a lower price, then buy an epiphone, jay turser, tradition, etc...isn't the market already flooded w/SG and LP clones at several different price points and quality levels? :confused:

i really wish there were affordable clones of the yamaha SG...

• Members

Never mind the guitar, what the hell is that car?

I used to be in the automotive business and I can't recognize that wheel well.
:confused:

For shame then! :cop:

Obviously, it's a Pontiac, given the Rally II wheel, which was used from the mid 60's through early 80's. Then it's just a matter of narrowing it down to a 1970's model that would have had (optional) side skirts. In this case, it's a '79 Bonneville. (yes, it came stock with Rally II's, but originally they were painted white/silver to match the car) That car is long gone now... :cry: (it was half rusted away when I had it anyhow!)

As for the SG's - I've always been a fan of the 70's Yamaha SG's, but never bought one b/c I'm not a fan of heavy guitars. Though the ones I've played were SOLID and SMOOTH. (you can almost hear Santana sustaining notes just by looking at them!) :thu:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have an SG-85...1973 model, IIRC. Single cut LP style.

Looks just like this one:

sg85.jpg

Paid $100 for it a few years ago...mint condition with original Yamaha hardshell case...the guy at the store couldn't find it in their book (model # isn't listed on the guitar), so he assumed it was worthless.

VERY nice guitar. Smooth, resonant, and sweet. Not a lot of bite to the pickups...but just a beautiful jazz or Santana-esque rock guitar.

• Members

There are many guitar players out there who have the same love for Yamaha SG guitars that I do. I have owned more than a few Gibson SGs and Les Pauls, but I always seem to come back to this classic.

My collection consists of:

1 - SBG1996 30th Anniversary #79 of 120 (NearMint)

2 - SG-2004 Amber Quilt Top from Santana's personal collection (NearMint) only 20 made

3 - SG-2000 Cherry Sunburst 1984 (Very Good++ 'slight fogging on rear")

4 - SBG-3000 Cream 1983 (Very Good+ 'top and neck and back are clean)

5 - SBG-3000 Black sprinkle 1984 (NearMint)

Here are my Yamaha SG axes. The only one in this set that is not rare is the all time favorite SG/SBG2000. I will post some better pictures with close ups and lighting later...

Right to left:

SG2000, SG2004, SBG1996, SBG3000

yamaha1.jpg

Yamaha SBG3000

Yamaha

Wow thats a nice collection:eek:

i love my jade green SG1500 (one of the best things i did while living in okinawa was buying this!)

Heres some old pics:

181427012_iJm3F-M.jpg

181427133_FB5cX-M.jpg

181427158_WpPbB-M.jpg

181427175_XV8ph-M.jpg

181427182_exMKA-M.jpg

181427194_gZxdc-M.jpg

• Members

That finish is a beaut!!! Can you still get the green burst?

Thanks, I don't know if they still have them in other models with that color. I probably bought that guitar some 7 years ago or so. It was on a blowout at MF for under $400 IIRC. It was listed as having a normal street price of over $1K (about $1300 or so IIRC) so I couldn't resist. Came in black, brown burst or the green burst.

It's taken some pup mods to make it work for me, the 500T has worked well, but the '59 should still come out and something more articulate put in its place.

• Members

saw a red SG-1500 two weeks ago but somebody had drilled 4 holes right next to the 4 existing holes for the tone and volume pots, plus, it had problems with the neck binding coming off at the nut for about 3 or 4 inches, they wouldn`t drop the price so I passed.

Did see an interesting SG-1000 recently...natural finish with a MOP inlay on the body, not the SG-175 but some inlay...I couldn`t figure out what it was supposed to be. 2 piece pancake body and...unfortunately...it had been modded with a Fernandes Sustainer system and a Duncan humbucker in a single coil size...no serial number or MIJ on the back of the headstock...might it have been a custom made? Maybe. If so, the $800.oo is not bad but if it has been modded that price is more than I wanna pay. So I bought the red Fernandes instead...and glad I did, that thing may become my favorite guitar.

But, still want one of those used History Les Paul types I saw at another place and will have one...it is written.

• Members

I've had several Yamaha SG's over the years. Sadly most of them have gone now - my rolling guitar collection has been reduced to 5 (hard to justify keeping 20 guitars lying around). Of that 5, 2 are SG's, one is an SG-3000 (given to me as a gift) and the other is this SG-175. It may be rolling off too soon, as it's in such good condition that I rarely play it.

IMG_1282.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's my SG-2000. Just bought it from a dealer over in Japan last week. I love this guitar, plays and sounds amazing, and is in great condition, with zero fret wear. I took the pickguard off. I think it's a 1980 model, maybe a bit earlier.

sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

sg3.jpg

sg4.jpg

sg5.jpg

sg6.jpg

sg7.jpg

• Members

Here is my SG1200s purchased used in the UK in 1986. I played it a lot in the early 90s but its now my #3 behind the LP and the strat. Amazing guitar, plays extremely well, but doesn't have tone quite as good as the LP. Has coil taps so can pass for a rosewood neck strat on a good day, so its a pretty flexible axe

Yamaha%20SG1200s.jpg

• Members

Here's my SG-2000. Just bought it from a dealer over in Japan last week. I love this guitar, plays and sounds amazing, and is in great condition, with zero fret wear. I took the pickguard off. I think it's a 1980 model, maybe a bit earlier.

sg6.jpg
sg7.jpg

:love: :love: :love:

And with original case,too. It looks good without the pickguard. Congrats on a good catch!

• Members

Here's one in action from way back when. It's in the the hands of Neil Finn with Split Enz performing I Got You. If you haven't heard of them maybe some of you older (I say older because I just cant be old :lol: ) guys remember Crowded House which was later formed by this band...they are both very influencial in music down here in Australia/New Zealand.

Enjoy.

• Members

see if theres a date under the p`ups like this, then do a search to find out what year on the Gregorian calendar matches the year on the Japanese calendar...49 in the case of this pic... works for me.

mitch_2550-img600x450-1195580273yam.jpg

Archived