Is there anything you don't like about Les Pauls ??

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

The 24.75 scale length...I like 25.5 better

Playing while sitting...I have to put the lower cutout over my left leg and have the lower bout sitting in my crotch to get the neck in a decent position to play

Upper fret access playing up the neck

Some have necks that are way too thick for me to play comfortably

I don't get why they don't use a volute to strengthen the headstock

Frankly, I haven't liked most of the ones I've played.  On the other hand, I do own two.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

kayd_mon wrote:

@alexilaiho

I believe that the Traditional LPs are not chambered.

not chambered but weight relieved.  ie swiss cheese holes drilled into the body.

I don't think it's possible (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) to find a properly solid body Factory USA les paul.  Pretty sure it's only custom shop.

• Members

The body does not have comfort cutaways, and it's not great for upper fret access. Fairly minor gripes for me

IMO the Explorer was Gibson's best design, from a playing point of view. Good upper fret access, 6-on-a-side tuners, good balance, big fat tone...some people find them too wacky though

• Members

They're too heavy to play standing up for too long, and too uncomfortable and out of balance too play sitting down. 

Sharp body edges, no comfy fender-y body contours.

The fretboard radius is too flat, makes it to hard for me to play 'wrap around' chords.

Humbuckers.

And the one thing that's actually pretty awesome about les paul, is also the main reason why I can't bond with em: They sound too good. The piano-like perfection in each note, the long even sustain...It just doesn't have the character of a good old twangy fender, which really fits my style a lot better. I'll admit, teles/strats are a lot more forgiving for sloppy players like myself:)

• Members

To really understand the instrument you have to go back to how and why it was designed that way...most of your stumble tard musicians just think of Slash and his LP as some kind of starting point for the instrument, so the perceptions about the instrument, as usual, in the musician community, is one that is skewed through the lense of a Rolling Stone writer swatting away bong smoke talking about an instrument he can't play.

• Members

I did post my gripes about LPs earlier in this thread and I've read other people's thoughts, and while not "perfect" I find that I play my best on Les Pauls.  There is something about the combination of features that just works so well for me that I play effortlessly on a LP, and what comes out of the speakers is what I hear in my head.  Whatever gripes, they just work for me, and I don't mind the weight or the neck heel (I'm big and have large hands so I don't notice the weight and I have no trouble wrapping around the neck heel - in fact, I find it rather comfortable and I can play better high on the Paul than on my Strats) 

• Members

Never owned one, but a while back I did borrow one for a while. The one thing I didn't like was the lack of control of dynamics. Now I'm not talking about the volume controls, they worked fine. However, it seemed there was little control through playing harder or softer, it just stayed the same volume until you really backed off on how hard you played, the it really dived down, no gradations. I know for some types of music it's basically turn everything to 11 and blast away, but I like to have some control over this for expressive purposes. As always YMMV.

Archived