What Makes Bad Humbuckers So Muddy?

Elias Graves

• Members

For the interest of the 14 people still watching this thread and our tragic friend you might like to know that my new humbucker, the one that sounds like a gorgeous P-90, was quite a challenge to design.  See it took some 2 years to get right and has some 189 separate individual parts, regular humbuckers with molded plastic bobbins have 24.  But that's economic compared to my P-90 Hx which has a record 202 parts.  Call me anything you want but you can't call me Cheap Charlie.  Some will think my products should be expensive because of all those parts and the labor required to assemble them into a pickup, but actually you'd be surprised, very surprised ... considering.

About the Law of Electrical Physics that causes most all humbuckers to have less than optimum sonic quality on the low wound strings.  That's the reason practically all humbuckers sound like the tone control is turned down a ways on the low wound strings (compared to a P-90).  It's not easy to solve, my new model is protected by 2 Kinman patents. 

Anyone want to hear a sound file?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

knotty Super Contributor
6:38 AM
Elias Graves wrote:
This is why nobody posts here any more.
Get a real professional come in for a visit and he gets attacked. Lovely.
Who has attacked him?
I called him out for misleading posts?
And he was not visiting he was advertising.
Grow up. Or do you want an apology from me now?
Add Comment
Accept as Solution
Kudo 0

Why? Are you calling me a racist?

• Members

@onelife

I get all that. His noiseless pickups are excellent and I am sure the new HB will be.
My only beef was the assertion that ALL hum buckers apart from his new design are muddy. And his method of advertising by highjacking an old thread on a different subject.

• Members

I understand where you are coming from too.

I can see how Chris may appear to be a bit pushy but, having dealt first hand with the product, I see him more as being confident and proud of his work.

If I had a similar aptitude for self promotion I may have had a much more successful career.

• Members

The idea that a manufacturer needs to have celebrity endorsements to justify the quality of their product shows a lack of basic business understanding.

Companies shell out big bucks to celebs so they can sell you crap and you'll think you're Steve Vai. The best let their products sell themselves and usually don't have a lower priced line made in Cambodia.

Anderson and Kinman are a couple that spring to mind. I bought mine based on sound and playability, not because some incredible artist that would sound great on anything tells me to.

• Members

Ok, sound clips are good, testimonials are good, but do Kinmans come stock on anything? For obvious reasons, I would never consider dropping a couple hundred on pickups that I can't listen to in person first. If I could play something with them, then maybe I can understand the hype.

• Members

McCain wrote:

What I do to get noiseless single coil sounds from humbuckers.

PU Shielding\_Pole Removel 018.JPG

PU Shielding\_Pole Removel 019.JPG

I cant get my head around this. Surely the coil is just acting as a slug. You must lose the opposing phase, which I thought was the whole reason for a humbucker. 

Why do this instead of using noiseless single coils?

I use humbuckers when I want the 'bucker sound. If I want single I pick up my tele. If noise was an issue on my tele I would fit noiseless. We have kinmans noisless p90 if you want that sound.

I am all for variety and new sounds but I am not clear what we are "curing" here.

Maybe when the clip goes up the penny will drop.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

The idea that a manufacturer needs to have celebrity endorsements to justify the quality of their product shows a lack of basic business understanding.

Companies shell out big bucks to celebs so they can sell you crap and you'll think you're Steve Vai. The best let their products sell themselves and usually don't have a lower priced line made in Cambodia.

Anderson and Kinman are a couple that spring to mind. I bought mine based on sound and playability, not because some incredible artist that would sound great on anything tells me to.

1. No, it doesn't. Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio make quality products that the celebrity players actually use. Both Joe Satriani and Adrian Belew hold Dimarzio in high regard, and yes, as revolutionary.

2. I have yet to buy a Duncan or Dimarzio pickup made in Cambodia. You are actually getting the same pickup the people in the ad play.

3. That's great for you, but if Kinman is advertising himself on a message board as the second-coming of humbuckers/p-90s, then I would like to see some proof and more than two people on the board endorsing his product.

I'm not trying to start fights or be overtly negative. I'm stating the obvious, though; IMO. Kinman blew a lot of smoke, and I would like to see him back it up. I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Archived