What Makes Bad Humbuckers So Muddy?

Elias Graves

• Members

Jealous of what ffs?

Sorry if I dont join your blinkered love fest. 

Hes proved hes a liar but you hang on his every word. Sorry I just dont get it. But I will stand aside on this thread and l let the love in continue. (Unless I get attacked of course)

I will go and enjoy my cheap, faulty humbuckers.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

koiwoi wrote:

Geez knotty... knock it off. You're just jealous.

Please, guys, don't throw mud just because people disagree with Kinman or you. That goes for Kinman himself, too. It's something called Karma, and you should try to have some good on your side.

If Kinman makes a good pickup, great. I don't think we should herald his pickups as the best, yet.

If people disagree with him, why can't you just ignore it?

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

The response to technological advance and change is often "the old stuff was good enough for...", which means "you're calling my gear less than the best and that makes me feel bad".

Sounds like you're being a big baby, as usual. No one said that. Kinman isn't revolutionizing a damned thing, and you need to get over how only a few people are interested.

And I'm out.

• Members

Well this is one of the most entertaining zombie threads we have.

Maybe these things are great, maybe they're overhyped. But the fact that no one puts them in stock says something to me. I have heard of other boutique makers being used in other boutique guitars, at least. Now that's not a knock to you, Mr. Kinman, but have you not tried getting your product into factory models? Or is it just not profitable for you to do that? I figure if the pickups are that good, people will buy a guitar they're stock in, rave about that guitar, and then other people would be more motivated to buy your stuff aftermarket to put in their guitars.

• Members

@chris kinman

For single coils sound I use my blade tele which has ( I believe) levinsons own single coils. It also has the vsc active eq. Its switchable and mid,high,low adjustable. It give a very wide pallet.

My prs is a 20 th anniversary std 24, all mahoganey with thin nitro finish. Mine has the 3 way toggle with coil split. It is very resonant, you can feel every note through the body and the neck.

The hb's are vintage & hfs ( hot fat screaming  - a bit like my ex) the bridge is parallel to strings -  neck is up 0.5 mm on treble side down 0.5 on bass. Prs std whammy, not blocked. 

My pal has these pups in a prs custom22 with poly finish and they dont sound as good. Somehow not as capable of mellow.

I usuall set up with mid volume just on the crunch point so I can drop volume for clean, volume up for major break up. String seperation is really good even with quit high overdrive, although I think this is why some people see prs as sterile, but I like it. Coils split is great for a bit of extra twang and surprisingly good for mellow blues. No noise in split mode. No problem with indistinct wound tones when split or not, not that I can hear anyway.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Mmmmm ... well, I just love 10 ~ 52's, same gauges as the 10~46 on the plains but progressively increase on the wounds to 52 on the low E.  These really thump and bring out the tone of the instrument and pickups.  I don't think they are more work to play than 10~46 set and even if they are the improvement in sound is worth the little extra effort.

Whenever I play 9~42's they strike me as skinny sounding, lacking in bottom end thump. But a long time ago I wouldn't use anything else than 9~46.  Then a friend turned me onto the heavier gauges and I got hooked.  These sets are known as Skinny tops Heavy bottoms, I have preferred D'Addario for years but I heard they have gone off recently and Pyramid are the new GoTo brand.

I also use a 15" speaker for much the same reason.  Whenever customers play through my amp first their expression changes to a look of amazement and then they invariably ask "what the hell is that?"  I rekon I've sold a ton of 15's for speaker makers over the years.  15's don't lack tops like everyone thinks, but they sure as hell pack a wallop in the low end and reproduce incredible detail which is great for my analytical R&D work with pickups.  I've tried several times over the years to switch back to 12's but I feel like there's so much missing I can't take to them after being spoiled by the 15.

Archived