Have you sent back any new guitars, before the "trial" period was over ?

Buttcrust

• Members

I bought an Epi SG bass once, because I was playing bass in a cover band. I wanted to use a 4, since I was singing and sometimes my low B on my Ibanez would throw me off (not used to playing bass and singing). The way that bass hung on your shoulder, the neck felt too far out. The Epiphone SG bass is long scale, not short like the Gibson. I took it back a few days later, and just practiced more. Now I am ok with playing 5-string bass and singing.

• Members

Only when they've arrived damaged.

I rarely buy new guitars, and have never received one that was shoddily constructed or way off from what I expected.  In one case I had to get a minor problem fixed by a local shop on the distributor's dime, but that went fine.

And of course in some cases we just didn't bond and I had to let the guitar go.  But with the new guitars it's taken me many months to arrive at that decision, well beyond the return deadline.  I'm totally fine with that.

• Members

Yeah, I'd return to sender lickity-split.

Even if those are just finish cracks (?) it's supposed to be a new guitar, right?  Not easily fixed, and re-selling in that shape would cause you to take a hit for sure.

The neck joint looks sloppy as well.  Or is that more damage?

Anyway, I'd feel no remorse at all in sending that one back.  Hopefully they can send you a much better specimen.  Regardless, best to be rid of it.

Hope your luck turns around...

• Members

Got a couple rondos that i was tempted to return. A 5 str bass that had a vibration only i could feel. Rondo offered a return but it was so nice i sold it local and saved him the shipping. Another was a rondo lp. Only prob was my cheaper agile was so nice the upscale one was a letdown. Still great so i kept it. The cheaper sx' only neededthe nut lowered. Bought a bass with a messed up truss but even there the guy discounted it so i kept it. So never returned any.

• Members

When I turned 50, my wife agreed to me buying a guitar as a gift and I had wanted a white maple neck strat for a while so I ordered one... an american standard 2008. It arrived with the bridge half off its hooks and was generaly poor in quality compared to what I had expected. I must have got a dog since there are very goods comments on that guitar here. The white had greenish hues all over. i wish I had bought the candy cola one. gorgeous. Anyway I sent it back and looked further than the Fender brand. 2008 was the last year they produced the top-of-the-line japanese made Pacifica 904. I ordered it , tried it and was blown away by the quality. One of my keepers.

• Members

Buying from Thomann, which has a 30 day no questions return policy, yep, I've returned quite a few guitars. If I am going to shell out the dinerii, the guitar has to make me happy, or, at least, have the potential to make me happy with a good set-up.

We don't have a car, and I have a bad back. Schlepping the boxes to the post-office for return was always the worst part of the whole thing. Thankfully, I am out of GAS, and will be for the foreseeable future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've returned two guitars post haste - one complete and one that was a kit. . . both from the same vendor.

Those who've been here a few years will remember TTM, those who haven't . . . well. . . . it's a long story and not one I have the energy to retell.

• Members

I returned an Epi ProFX ....with a Floyd.

It wasn't quite what I expected. Nothing particularly wrong. I buy a LOT of stuff from this company, and I returned it EXACTLY as it came. Not even a finger print on it. Tools bundled back. Perfect return.

I only feel bad because I didn't like it, not that I returned it. Clean conscience.

• Members

Nope. Only ever had two guitars from new (one from a shop, the other online) and both were fine. Of all the dud used ones I've bought, I've usually just worked tirelessly on it to make it right. Of the ones I just didn't like, I traded them for something else.

• Members

Not a guitar, but several amps.  I returned a used Blackstar HT40 to GC because it had a bunch of problems.  I returned a Hughes & Kettner Blues 30 amp because I found an H&K Blues 60 amp for $10 more in better shape.  I returned a used Laney AOR50 to MusicGoRound because 1) it had been heavily modified and 2) it was too big, too heavy and too loud.  MusicGoRound was really cool about it- they comped my purchase price, my initial shipping *and* paid to have it shipped back.

I actually felt bad about the whole thing.  MusicGoRound ended up paying $160 to ship around a $300 amplifier.

Archived