Performing for Senior Centers and Nursing Homes

• Moderators

kind of hard to sing and play sax simultaneously...;)

I feel your pain on getting a response from facility event coordinators. The few I've spoken to over the past few years tend to admit that they have 3 or 4 'go-to' acts and that is enough for their facility. That makes it a hard nut to crack.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Free should catch there attention, thinking I should establish that if I am liked by residents I will get more for $. I know about these go to acts, feedback from my existing audience is they play the same thing every time. Having a past in sales I have decided on my own to 1) start getting names of contact people. 2) ask for best time to call 3) Not leave voice mail 4) Make appointment for 5 minute meeting to drop of my info and demo cd 4) Once I play for free, ask for more dates and endorsements/ recommendation.

• Moderators

while you are there for the 'drop off', try to get a sense of the age range of the residents. I've heard complaints from Activity Directors that their 'guests' don't react well to classic rock, so I tailor sets for the late 40s early 50s, as well as 'novelty songs' going into the early 70s.

• 3 years later...
  • Members
On 5/30/2007 at 9:40 PM, nitekattz2007 said:

We all must be aware as trained pro musicians, that no matter what market we offer our services, we certainly deserve compensation, the same as any other trade organization has had to develop their skills and the time invested to perfect their craft. Do you actually think the plumber, carpenters, handymen, dry wallers, electricians, maintainance journeymen work for free at these senior facilities? Please, get a grip on reality,of course not, and if you are a truly dedicated trained musician capable of providing a professionally viable act, you deserve to be paid accordingly, the same as any tradesmen. We have been lowballing and offering free services for so long, it is starting to almost be expected, we must provide entertainment for free, because our skills don't have the same value as other journeymen tradesmen.

The freebie players seem to have no concerns about providing a standards of ethics to keep professional artistic standards, and the posts I have read certainly affirm those issues. If you have a professioal value and training as a player, you deserve something for your time invested in the dedication to your craft. Why do you feel as a performer that you are less than a plumber, construction worker, cabinet maker, electrician, etc. artists and trademenb all have a purpose to serve society with their gifts, weather it;s technical, scientific, or artistic? All involvement in a trade and offering goods and services needs to be compensated fairly, what the market can support

katt

bull{censored}...   if money is your motive, empty is your soul...  

many artists of impeccable quality and with the utmost concern about their art often charge no money for work...   i make art because i have to...   whether there is money or not only helps to make more art for others.

the issue here seems to be that youve confused what you do, making money from playing others art, with making art...  professional standards and ethics?  in what reality?

• Members

having been the director of recreation in several facilities, one was a hospital of over 500 beds, i have hired and fired a few performers, entertainers, lifeguards, as well as staff...   attitude and personality entered heavily into introducing anyone new into my clients environment and i took their well being exceptionally seriously...  quite frankly, NK2007, your application wouldve hit the trash as you exited my office, your phone calls likewise dismissed...  i looked for folks that had some kind of empathy...   some guiding principle other than just money...  i fully appreciate needing compensation, ive used music to make my living most of my life and am still doing so.   i also realize there are different musicians just as there are different lovers... and some lovers will work for only money.  

you get what you give.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My fiance is a care manager for a county long term facility.  It's one of the best in the state.  Most of the residents are getting younger it seems like.  We play for a set fee ever year for labor day fireworks. It's an easy show, the band likes it and most of all the residents like it.

Archived