No pay, no drinks, never again

Lurko

• Members
Well, so if you don't care if a crowd doesn't show up, and you don't care if you don't get paid, what's the point in playing out? You could just stay in the practice room and jam all you want and save yourself moving all that gear for nothing.
:confused:
:confused:

We like it when we get at least 10 people or so to show up that we don't know. It's a good feeling. I never said we didn't care if a crowd showed up, although I suspect we have different definitions of "crowd." If I wanted to play to big crowds I'd join some mosh metal band or a cover band or something... and some day I may very well do that. Right now though, we all just want to play exactly what we want to and share it with anyone who is interested. Some folks really appreciate that.

We like playing on stages.

Ever wanted to share your art with someone?

Hey! Listen to the songs on my myspace!!!
www.myspace.com/builtbygiants

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sure. But sharing it and selling it are not always the same thing.

But hey, if you enjoy it, and businesses that hire you keep asking you back, go for it!

I kind of liked what you have up on myspace, FWIW.

My sister lives in Portland, on NE 33rd.

• Members

Luv that, bars can expect bands to play free.

But giving away free drinks

:eek:

THAT COSTS MONEYS!!!

Now bars aren't paying the price they charge for beer, let's get that bull{censored} misunderstanding out of the way right now.

Let's assume they pay what you pay retail (they don't, obviously it's a LOT less). But let's assume that anyway.

Letmesee now, I'm in a four piece band.

We can each down about six beers in a night and the drummer (with a turbo charged liver) can down about a pint of whiskey on top of that.

So that's a case of beer and a pint of whiskey. A case of cheap beer is going to cost you around $30, but let's be wild and assume it's $50. Add another $10 for some cheap whiskey and the total is %60.

This guy brought in 30 people, and let's assume they all only had one $4 beer.

That's $120.

Hmmm, $120 > $60.

So let's stop with the pity party for bar owners, o.k.? They're ripping musicians off left and right and frankly I'm sick of people feeling sorry for them.

man i hate to say anything positive about club owners but...

in the case of Laughing Lizard, the two cute girls tending bar still gotta get paid. now if they work from 8pm to 2am thats 6 hours at $5 an hour x 2 = $60.

so now the band brought in a theoretical $120 and it cost the owner $120 in booz and salaries, so the owner made $0... except he's still got to pay for his liquor license, and his rent, and electricity and water bills, and it would be nice if he could live in an apartment instead of living over top of the bar.

this ain't Major League Baseball.

• Members

man i hate to say anything positive about club owners but...

in the case of Laughing Lizard, the two cute girls tending bar still gotta get paid. now if they work from 8pm to 2am thats 6 hours at $5 an hour x 2 = $60.

so now the band brought in a theoretical $120 and it cost the owner $120 in booz and salaries, so the owner made $0... except he's still got to pay for his liquor license, and his rent, and electricity and water bills, and it would be nice if he could live in an apartment instead of living over top of the bar.

this ain't Major League Baseball.

Well, then the owner in this case is a moron if 1) he depends on live music for income at all, and 2) he chooses to feature music that doesn't bring in bigger crowds.

• Members

Sure. But sharing it and selling it are not always the same thing.

But hey, if you enjoy it, and businesses that hire you keep asking you back, go for it!

I kind of liked what you have up on myspace, FWIW.

My sister lives in Portland, on NE 33rd.

Glad you kind if liked it!

I can't imagine us having a marketable sound without drastically modifying what we currently do though.

If we play around town for a very long time maybe some folks will notice and we'll be able to draw 40-50 people. I think that's pretty much our long term goal. That and a pointless 2 week tour someday.
:D

• Members

We like to play graduation parties, and really any type of party (pay sucks but we usualy make up for it with free food.....just load up the:)

The we usualy do a small 2 week tour each year, and several weekends where we leave the area and play 2 to 4 shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There is so much of this happening to live musicians. One of the problems is clubs have so many more options for entertainment, the other is there are so many musicians out there that just want a venue to play. Bar owners know this, and take advantage of those facts.

I do a solo act, and sing every song. I'm my own roadie, so I have to load in and out, and drive. So I NEVER drink when I work. I bring my own carbonated water, a couple of liter bottles. When I get there, I ask them for a tall glass with ice. That's all I drink.

Its difference in a band because one member can "make the arrangements" and everyone else gets screwed. I wouldn't play there anymore, and the member that booked the gig should have that responsibilities taken away from him, he obviously can't handle it.

Mike T.

• Members

Hypothetical...

There are no smoking laws...anywhere. Smoking is up to club owners.
Well, if it is such a no-brainer wouldn't there be plenty of places that voluntarily go smoke-free??? And if that was the case, why would you care about the places that decide to keep smoking???

Smoking is bad. I'm not confused about this issue. But if a bar is lethal due to smoke then dont go in there. The smart/healthy bars will have banned smoking and you can go there instead...isnt that enough????

• Members

Hypothetical...

There are no smoking laws...anywhere. Smoking is up to club owners.

Well, if it is such a no-brainer wouldn't there be plenty of places that voluntarily go smoke-free??? And if that was the case, why would you care about the places that decide to keep smoking???

Smoking is bad. I'm not confused about this issue. But if a bar is lethal due to smoke then dont go in there. The smart/healthy bars will have banned smoking and you can go there instead...isnt that enough????

No, it's not enough. Bar owners aren't exactly original thinkers and you can't expect them to figure this {censored} out on their own. If it wasn't for anti-smoking laws, we'd still be selling smokes to children, there wouldn't be a warning on the side of the pack, there would still be TV ads glorifying smoking, most offices and restaurants would be stunk up by the few (the minority) who chose to smoke, etc.

Sometimes government has to do what's in the best interest of the community. Clearly, cigs kill people. You can justify smokey bars with all the Libertarian bull{censored} you can think of. The point is, smoking is a smelly, harmful, anti-social thing. The only reason it seems to be prevalent in bars is because the bars have chased away the majority of the people who would like to go out but can't stand to be around the {censored}.

• Members
How can this thread still be going?
:eek:

This thread obviously strikes a chord with many people.

Do I get some kind of reward for a 10,000 view post?
:lol::freak:

I reckon 10,000 plus views is a reward in itself.

You really hit the nail on the head with this one Lurko.

• Members

There is this club out by the airport here in Columbus, OH that won't even allow you to bring any sort of beverage (water, coke, etc) in, I did a live recording there and had to pay the door fee as well as buy 1 drink and bring a friend. Needless to say they are having a hard time getting anyone to play there, I see their ads every week looking for bands to book, and they are even renting the place out for rehearsal space! This is not the sort of soil that allows musicians to grow. :freak:

• Moderators
There is this club out by the airport here in Columbus, OH that won't even allow you to bring any sort of beverage (water, coke, etc) in, I did a live recording there and had to pay the door fee as well as buy 1 drink and bring a friend. Needless to say they are having a hard time getting anyone to play there, I see their ads every week looking for bands to book, and they are even renting the place out for rehearsal space! This is not the sort of soil that allows musicians to grow.
:freak:

Lol I played the Dolphin when I was 15! I did the open jam with Rick P Boals and the souls. Been a loooong time since I've been there ( 18 years?). It was a rip off hole then, and I would imagine it still is, as you suggested. I knew that at 15, but what the hell, I was 15 and just wanted on stage. :p

Is Rick still playing there? He is a HELLUVA a player. He went to nashville for a bit but he wasn't nashville, if ya know what I mean. :)

• Members

No, it's not enough. Bar owners aren't exactly original thinkers and you can't expect them to figure this {censored} out on their own...

I dont get why its not enough.

Why do bars that are hardly frequented by anyone that doesn't smoke have to change their habits surrounding a product that is still currently legal? Its not like I'm lobbying for prostitution or cocaine use.

There are plenty of bars to go in where you won't be around smoke.

• Members

I dont get why its not enough.

Why do bars that are hardly frequented by anyone that doesn't smoke have to change their habits surrounding a product that is still currently legal? Its not like I'm lobbying for prostitution or cocaine use.

There are plenty of bars to go in where you won't be around smoke.

It's a cause and effect thing: "bars that are hardly frequented by anyone that doesn't smoke" is because they chased away the majority of non-smokers. Then they complain that business isn't as good as it used to be. {censored}in' DUH!

The are plenty of bars to go in -- in NYC, CA, MA, etc. because they legislated the smoke out. And now, the owners are happy and doing good business. The Luddite owners here in NC need a non-smoking law to get the non-smokers back in the bars.

I'm not suggesting that we make smoking illegal -- hell, I'm for making prostitution and coke and weed legal while we're at it because banning stuff doesn't work. I just want to regulate where all that {censored} happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't sell yourself (and us) short Poker.

We are all musicians, we have all spent time and money learning how to play an instrument, so that immediately puts us a rung or two above the drooling masses, who just veg out in front of the box and scratch themselves...

You're right, there are lots of bands out there but it's worth trying to get proper paying gigs. I play in a local blues band and we won't play for free except for charity gigs. If the bar owner gets it for nothing, he doesn't value it.You can always use open-mike or jam nights for practice

The key is a careful and professional approach to looking for gigs. Don't be scared to ask for a reasonable fee, you can always negotiate a discount for multiple bookings.

If you take yourselves seriously, so will others. You won't get so many gigs, but they'll all be "real" ones...

Archived