No pay, no drinks, never again

Lurko

• Members

Last Friday my band played a gig at a bar in VA. Turned out to be, while not a disaster, extremely subpar.

The stage was TINY. I'm talking about two steps and you're on the dance floor tiny.

The PA was vox only, which meant that I couldn't hear the bass player all night long and was essentially playing along to drums alone all night.

You can smoke in VA bars. *cough* *hack* (I'll stick to DC and Monty. Co. from now on)

The drinks were not comped. I had to pay $4 for a Miller Lite.

We didn't get any $$$ for the gig. WTF????

So I bring 30 people into your bar for no pay and I can't even get a beer?!?!?!?!?

The singer set the gig up because we were invited by his old bass player's band. The old bass player is the one who decided not to charge any admission and why we made no money. He did not consult with us before doing this. We will not be playing with them again.

We're all mid '30s and not in it for the money. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy beer at my own show!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel your pain. NC is a tabaccy state, too and non-smoking clubs are few and far between. As for the $$ thing: Tell the singer the next time he sets things up, make sure and get the details worked out.

If not, at least make the singer pick up the band's gas and bar tab.

• Members

The Laughing Lizard Lounge in Alexandria. They charged my bass player for a freaking COCA COLA!!!!!!

L-A-M-E

Sorry to hear about that. I'm in the Roanoke area, why I was askin. I'm convinced that every place you go, there's some wtf-ness to be dealt with.

• Members

I can understand charging for drinks. Most bands try to take advantage of free drinks and that costs bars money at the end of the night. Its pretty standard for MoCo at least for bands to have a tab. What surprises me is that they charged for a coke. Most bars give sodas away because it means someone is a DD.

• Members

Most bands try to take advantage of free drinks and that costs bars money at the end of the night.

Yeah, I've never really understood the mindeset either. Just cause we're the band, that shouldn't automatically entitle us to free drinks all night. I mean, if they do end up comping the tab, great, really appreciate that. My drummer, however, gets uber-pissed whenever they come to collect on his tab.

• Members

Last gig I did was at a club that was part of a microbrewery, so beer was free. I can't drink beer while singing, cuz it rags my voice out.

To make up for it, the manager/bartender gave me free shots of Jack all night (two before each set that promptly got sweated out). I made sure to tip her well!

• Moderators

Last gig I did was at a club that was part of a microbrewery, so beer was free. I can't drink beer while singing, cuz it rags my voice out.

To make up for it, the manager/bartender gave me free shots of Jack all night (two before each set that promptly got sweated out). I made sure to tip her well!

Most clubs we played allowed us one beer each per set on the house. That is fairly normal out here. Then you also get the drunks who offer to buy the band a round...we'd always call for 'top shelf' when that happened! ;)

Beer doesn't rag my voice out...its already ragged... ;)

• Members

Been there feel for you man,It hurts.Watch out for Smilys also same group of people.Different shirts.

Last Friday my band played a gig at a bar in VA. Turned out to be, while not a disaster, extremely subpar.

The stage was TINY. I'm talking about two steps and you're on the dance floor tiny.

The PA was vox only, which meant that I couldn't hear the bass player all night long and was essentially playing along to drums alone all night.

You can smoke in VA bars. *cough* *hack* (I'll stick to DC and Monty. Co. from now on)

The drinks were not comped. I had to pay $4 for a Miller Lite.

We didn't get any $$$ for the gig. WTF????

So I bring 30 people into your bar for no pay and I can't even get a beer?!?!?!?!?

The singer set the gig up because we were invited by his old bass player's band. The old bass player is the one who decided not to charge any admission and why we made no money. He did not consult with us before doing this. We will not be playing with them again.

We're all mid '30s and not in it for the money. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy beer at my own show!

• Members

We played a show last night where we were told in advance that pay and free drinks would depend on attendance, per new management policy. We were also told that there would be no guest list. At the last minute, someone decided to allow a guest list (one per band member x three bands), but due to some lovely April snow and ice, attendance was pretty poor. No pay, no free drinks.

It was still a good show, and the club is definitely better than most overall, so no big deal. The only down side was that I was sick and opted not to drink, but got charged $2 for a lousy Sprite.

• Members

Just cause we're the band, that shouldn't automatically entitle us to free drinks all night
Why not? House drinks are cheap as hell for any bar, it's the least they can do.

It still costs money, and do you normaly drink on the job? No so why should this be any different.

• Members

Good band = busy bar = large ££££ bar take.

How much is a slab of beers? £12.00 or so at the wholesalers? Sod all out of a £2000.00 bar take....

Alot of venues are VERY good and do take care of you, provide drinks, food etc (it's in our contract...), but there are some stingy mo'fo's around at the moment...(you know who you are....)

Archived