MySpace Is Going To Die a Painful Death

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Space has actually been pretty good for my music journalism endeavors. I happened upon connections that I never would have had unless I wanted to spend more time than I would have wanted reserching magazines, e-zines and search engines.

Tons of bands I would have never heard about. ..sure there are many that just plainly bite... but overall it has been a good thing for me. I don't have the problems you seem to be having with the site itself, although the limitations are evident.

I also help run a music website in Central Wisconsin and My Space has been tremendous in the quest to find information about the bands we feature on the site. When we started, we basically had to follow band links, get word of mouth info and research them ourselves. With MS, the bands usually contact us for the opportunity to have their links,schedules and profiles presented by our site.

If anyone would like to have their band profiled on our site, just go to www.localmusicbomb.com. It is free and although it began as more of a state kind of venture, we have some bands on the site from all over the world in every genre of music.

• Members

My band is ready to record some of our material (read: actually wrote some decent songs worth sharing) and the rest of my band is intent on having a myspace. I know both the pros and cons of this but I'd rather have another website (I can take care of that, even if its not too professional) where you can download or listen to the songs as well. I thought it might be good to post one song on myspace and direct the listeners to our other website to find other, better songs as well.

In theory it should work, but so should myspace. :freak:

Anyway, whats a good place to upload mp3s without the legal crap myspace has?

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

And doesnt it state somewhere that the songs you upload become copyright by myspace? or belong to myspace?

this was answered on the previous page:

Originally posted by BlueStrat

It appaers that while you retain full ownership of the material, in exchange for their allowing you space on their site to promote yourself, they reserve the right to use whatever you put up in any way they want to promote themselves as well.

regarding how myspace has become a cesspool of camera whores or posers or whatever you want to call it, it all boils down to the fact that it's a place for people that want attention. isn't that the goal for all of us as musicians? it's a networking tool, and is most effective in conjunction with other promotion.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

Here:
By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services.

And, like, anyone serious about their music is going to volunarily belly up to this?

• Members

It'd be nice if there was some sort of limit of videos and all that other crap that takes up bandwidth. Some myspaces have buttloads of videos not to mention all the other animated stuff. Basically myspace is out of hand and I see why the original guy sold it, probably made a good profit and knows when the gettin is good.

On the other hand, I use myspace for chatting with buds. And of course it's a easy way to check out music. I actually prefer band's websites a little more though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

I'm sorry, but I can't stand freakin' MySpace. I thought it was a great idea, and in theory it is, but I can't take it anymore.

If anyone directs me to that page to hear their band one more time...and I go...and MySpace freezes...and nothing happens...and the pictures don't come up...and then some stupid message that someone left with a waving Tinkerbell gets jammed...and someone else left an audio comment and it's playing fart noises...and the music never plays and I can't do anything and my browser freezes...

I am going to really get mad.

I think, in theory, MySpace is a great idea, if it ran smoothly and consistently. I don't think it's a good "web-site" for bands to have, I think it's good to cash in on the flavor of the month aspect of it.

In this case: you get what you pay for!

It's so cheesy too! Every moron in the world has a page and they all say the same thing. "I like don't know what to write here about myself, so whatever".

I can't wait until something comes along and KILLS MySpace!

I HATE it!

So, go to my MySpace page below...
;)

You’re obviously a asshole to be in band named "self conceded prick and the less important guys"So {censored} guys like you with your Dave Mathews mindset.

• Members

And, like, anyone serious about their music is going to volunarily belly up to this?

I have a myspace site and I have versions of my songs that aren't complete. I guess that if myspace decided to use parts of my song I'd sue them for copyright infringment reguardless of the disclaimer....

• Members

Originally posted by Kuhnfyoozed

My band is ready to record some of our material (read: actually wrote some decent songs worth sharing) and the rest of my band is intent on having a myspace. I know both the pros and cons of this but I'd rather have another website (I can take care of that, even if its not too professional) where you can download or listen to the songs as well. I thought it might be good to post one song on myspace and direct the listeners to our other website to find other, better songs as well.

In theory it should work, but so should myspace.
:freak:
Anyway, whats a good place to upload mp3s without the legal crap myspace has?

Every free content provider has the same user agreement. It basically says they can use your material to promote their site, since they aren't being paid for it by you.

I like Download.com. I use them (see the link at the botom of my sig). They have a great site, high quality downloads, and they have lots of genres. As far as the legal issues you are concerned with--guys like John Fogarty, Joan Jett, Janis Ian and John Hiatt are on there. If their lawyers nor their labels' lawyers aren't worried about it, you shouldn't be. IMO, anyway. I know I'm not.

• Members

Reluctantly I put up a page which is an extent of the website we have but with some different pictures. Basically I did it to see what we get out of it??? The whole fad is with people that are very young on Myspace. I really started looking around on it today for the first time. To me it seems it is a glorified singles site and is hard to take seriously. I will have to see what happens but it is something I would have never paid for that's for sure.

• Members

Originally posted by nerol1st

You’re obviously a asshole to be in band named "self conceded prick and the less important guys"So {censored} guys like you with your Dave Mathews mindset.

Ahhh, wonderful! Another reason why I don't even come on Harmony Central anymore.

Hey, cheer up, Dave Matthew's band only gets to be called "Band". At least my band has a name.

Maybe I'll name us The Nerol1st's!

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

I have a myspace site and I have versions of my songs that aren't complete. I guess that if myspace decided to use parts of my song I'd sue them for copyright infringment reguardless of the disclaimer....

I suppose, but you're just lining some lawyers pockets instead of your own.

The music "business" is all about intellectual property rights - there is nothing else to it. Just look what's going on with the tab sites as an example.

You protect your IPR through your copyright. As soon as you start assigning away your copyright your diluting your legal claim and underming your IPR. Once your claims to IPR are gone, so is your "business" part of the music.

Perhaps the better way to go - and I think Wierd Al Yank does it this way - is to put a page up on MS and link back to your own website. I think as long as the content - i.e. MP3, picture files, etc. - don't actually reside on the MS servers they have no claim to them. Worth checking into as a way to get the best of both worlds.

• Members

Everyone knows that Myspace changed their user agreement after the whole deal with Billy Bragg right? Its nowhere near as bad as it was 2 months ago, they cleaned it up a lot.

I've read better articles but this is the jist of it...."cleaned up user agreament" .....basically all the scary we can change, copy, record, sell garbage is out of there...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5224146.stm

• Members

I agree man... plus its slow as {censored}in hell man cuz so many people use it. I tried to promote my band on there and it worked for a while but its so slow cuz everyone and their {censored}in m0ms have it. IT WILL DIE A NASTY {censored}IN DEATH. take it easy

-dave :thu:

• Members

There are plenty of places out there that are cleaner, better-designed and more reliable- but speaking from my band's perspective, NONE have brought us the results Myspace has.

I don't believe it's a substitute for a real homesite; every band should have its own www...com, it's just the professional thing to do; but I can't fault Myspace, even being the mess it's is.

It's brought us results in just about every category a band could ask for;

tours, gear endorsements, merch deals, soundtrack work, promoters, radioplay, PR/expanded exposure, and it sold us out of CDs.

- just about everything but a label connection, which isn't something we're pursuing much anyway.

Yeah, it's a mess. Yeah, there's a lot of crap there. It'll go away someday, no doubt. But in the meantime, it can produce real-world results, you can't argue with that.

Archived