MySpace Is Going To Die a Painful Death

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

There is a way to search locally, but it's a PITA! Further, the sub-catergories are like so idiosyncratic that's it's useless. "GRINDCORE" Or "Happy Jungle Hardcore".

How about: Rock, Folk, Metal, Dance, Rap, Jazz, Classical?

Yeah, there was a band in my local paper advertising itself as "prog mathcore."

WTF?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey BlueStrat!

Could you give us a little more insight on the TOS agreement on MySpace that I posted above.

I am told it is pretty heavy for a site that caters to unsigned bands. What's your take?

PS - You mean to say, you don't like MathCore? :evil:

• Members

I dunno...

I like the site. Met a lot of interesting people through it. Also got laid a few times because of that site. Gotta like that.

Also, if you guys don't dig the crazy browser killing pages just disable javascript and plug-in support on your browser when using the site. If you find a page who's javascipt and plug-ins you want to see then re-enable them. I use Opera as my browser so this is a one click process for me (I could bind it to a keyboard key for more convenience but I'm not that lazy ...yet).

-Necro

• Members

Hey BlueStrat!

Could you give us a little more insight on the TOS agreement on MySpace that I posted above.

I am told it is pretty heavy for a site that caters to unsigned bands. What's your take?

PS - You mean to say, you don't like MathCore?
:evil:

"Here: By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, profiles, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") on or through the Services, you hereby grant to MySpace.com, a non-exclusive, fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees) to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute such Content on and through the Services."

Basically, it means once you put your stuff up online for free, you are allowing them to do anything they want with your stuff-use it on other websites, make it available worldwide, hack it up and use bits and pieces, and really do whatever they want with it. I'm not sure what the implicationms are; I am on download.com and don't see any kind of agreement like that there. But Garageband.com has a similar statement:

6. Grant of Content Rights to GB

6.1. License. By uploading Content to the Service (including, but not limited to, sound recordings, musical and/or vocal works, pictures, videos, song lyrics, written materials and/or other materials), you hereby grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to GB a worldwide, non-exclusive, fully-paid-up, worldwide license to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, digitally perform, publicly display and distribute such information and Content in whole and in part, and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such information and Content, in any format or medium now known or later developed. The foregoing license shall be sublicensable by GB to permit GB users to view, hear, read, stream, download and link to your Content. GB users may not transfer the forgoing rights and, except as otherwise provided herein, GB may not transfer or sell its Content license to others. At all times you shall retain full ownership of your Content subject to the non-exclusive rights granted to GB hereunder.

6.2. Promotional Use. You also grant GB the right to use the Content, such as songs, Gig Listings and Band Information (including, but not limited to, names, likenesses biographical material, logos, marks or trade names of you or any individuals performing or otherwise represented in the Content or the artist or band included or referred to in the Content) for the purposes of syndication and the promotion of GB products and services without any payment to you or any other persons or companies. GB may sublicense its right to display your Band Information and Gig Listings to anyone. 6.3. Waiver of Performance Royalties. You grant GB the right to waive, on your behalf, any performance royalties on the Content when performed in a broadcast format such as internet radio, satellite radio, or terrestrial radio. You represent that you have sufficient ownership of rights in the Content to grant GB such waiver.

It appaers that while you retain full ownership of the material, in exchange for their allowing you space on their site to promote yourself, they reserve the right to use whatever you put up in any way they want to promote themselves as well.

I have used garageband, and I use download.com and CDBaby, and I haven't had any issues or problems. When I was on Garageband, one of my songs eneded up being used in a Macworld Magazine promotional CD insert, as well as in a magazine in Japan. I didn't get paid for it, but I did get a lot of exposure and I sold more CDs through my hardcopy distributor. This is what they mean by using it as they see fit to any sublicensees.

It sure is a lot of legalese gobbledygook to wade through, though.

• Moderators

The last role I want to play here is that of myspace apologist, but...

My band gets about a third of our booking offers through myspace, and we can credit a significant portion of our draw at shows to posting bulletins about our shows.

We've also used it extensively to network with other bands to set up out-of-town shows.

It's annoying, it's buggy... it's EXTREMELY useful.

• Members

Originally posted by Actionsquid

The last role I want to play here is that of myspace apologist, but...

My band gets about a third of our booking offers through myspace, and we can credit a significant portion of our draw at shows to posting bulletins about our shows.

We've also used it extensively to network with other bands to set up out-of-town shows.

It's annoying, it's buggy... it's EXTREMELY useful.

How are the turn-outs out-of-town?

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

I found that myspace has a lot more problems running on Internet Explorer.

+1

all the Myspaces I've made look like crap when I open them up in IE.

And it doesn't work as well, obviously, but my gripe is more how it makes my site look bad.

• Moderators

How are the turn-outs out-of-town?

Eh, so-so. We haven't been that consistent in playing other cities-something we're now trying to remedy.

I will say, though, that when when we play other cities, and someone tells us they came specifically to see us, much of the time it's because they know us from myspace.

And when we play other towns (and don't suck), the next day we often have a bunch of friend requests from people in that town... which should help next time around.

• Members

Originally posted by HarpNinja

I can never successfully search for anything on Myspace. I think it is a fad, and will evenutally wain in popularity. The most it has done for me is let me meet some cool bands out of the area.

Unless, as a musician, you sit on your computer, lie about a bunch of stuff and invite everybody you can to be your "friend", it isn't very efficient for generating much.

I know a guy on there who just brags about himself on his page and it is almost all made up. I don't think anybody buys into it, but he sits around and adds as many 20-something chicks as possible. Then he posts bulletins saying he never spams for friends (which is b.s.)....I am going to stop here since you can see that I have a strong bias as the result of a knuckle head (but if he's so great, why hasn't the real world...or local world...noticed?).

I was hoping it would help with fanbase, and it has, but since it is so hard to seach the pages, it is very slow going.

All in all, myspace makes me feel dirty when I use it and it is 99% b.s. for 1% cool stuff. But I am thankful for that 1%.

I feel the exact same way... my girlfriend loves the damn thing because of the attention those douchebags give her... I was like, 'whatever floats your boat but that {censored}'s creepy'

• Members

Originally posted by xonetruedesirex

And this is where you're wrong, AOL is owned by Time-Warner, Myspace is owned by Newscorp...Tom made out like a mother{censored}er on that deal, though, $40 million dollars or something ridiculous.

Actually, it was purchased for 500-some-odd million dollars (580?). A LOT of loot.

It's cool. Nothing I take too seriously, but I know quite a few people who've made some good connections and/or upped their fan base a little. Enough to warrant them keeping the site fresh and updated. They all say it's been worth it to them.

Remember mp3.com, tonos, and the tons of other sites that are up even now? If it's not working for you, fine. It can be frustrating to even get around on it (due to all that traffic, likely). But I don't think anything that brings people to your music or business is a bad thing.

Peace

• Members

In my hometown, the main local promoter does all of his booking through MySpace. The guy gets everyone from local nobodies to very popular acts from several states away. So aside from how badly MySpace lags, welcomes spam- and cam-whores, and is filled with emo kids, you''ll never hear me say a bad word about it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i can honestly say that my band wouldn't be doing much in the way of gigging or networking without myspace. i owe myspace for pretty much everything. i mean it. no i'm not being sarcastic....i truly think that without myspace we would be sitting in a warehouse rehearsing on end..wondering when we are gonna "get out there". {censored} ive got 12 shows booked in the next two months. thanks myspace!

• Members

Originally posted by hav3th1sm3rcy

myspace= horny guys+ slutty girls+ anarchists+ emo kids

+ just about any band you can think of.

Too bad it's so hard to actually FIND them because of all the slop you have to plow through.

• Members

Originally posted by stompboxx

Botttom line is it's a great way to get lots of people to hear you music for nothing.

That's what it's about, and it succeeds.

Yeah, if the page loads when they get there!

In all honesty, it seems to be running a little better now. That's really my biggest gripe about the whole thing...the freezing pages and and the inability to access someone's info and music as easily as a web site.

Archived