OT: raising prices and extra money?

twosticks

• Members

Hey all, I kinda interested in what you guys (if any) have been doing to keep your home (day per day) costs down. Please refrain from any big political, religous or DEEP matters. I mean, you can post what you will but I was looking to share ideas and thoughts for daily savings.

For example,

We have been on a budget and paying debt off now for about two years. We have NO credit cards or car payments, I am due to pay off my student loans by next year. we paid off our trailer and land off early and have been saving for emergencies and retirement. If you want details on what worked for us, let me know.

Also please note that we aren't really living bare bones either, I wish we could. We have knocked out a lot of big things. We are like other people I guess, just that we have really tried to quit borrowing any more money and pay off what we had. But we are not all high and mighty. To cut out even more would be to cancel the cable and internet, but that would be rough.

Big day per day things that have helped, we cook and eat much more at home. We bring our own lunch to work. I tranferred to a closer place to save on gas and me and the wife ride together. Lately we have planted a garden with a few things we like, are trying to keep the A/C and heat running as sparsely as possible. My wife has been working some on the side along with her regular job. I had been helping her with house and yard work, but it seems lately it might do us good to have me work another part time job as well to keep ahead during these tough times. What do you guys think and any suggestions or tips for me or other to help with household costs??

Now I don't think these tough times will last and I'm not preaching doom. but how do you guys trim your household budgets?? Besides packing guys in the trunk at the drive-in and packing a whole set of heads inside the bass drum head's box at check out.

Also any ways do you cut cost as your gigging or playing your drums??? Example: I've cut up old socks to use as felt like mufflers. Used old kitchen rugs for bass drum mats etc. Thanks for any input!:)

• Members

I haven't been hit incredibly hard by rising prices because this isn't exactly a big city. I work 6 miles or so from home, and any gigs are usually within a 20-25 mile radius. That said, I used to leave my gear in the car all the time and don't do that now because I get better gas mileage without it (quite a bit better when I've got to brings subs, etc)... I'm actually considering a trailer so that I can just unhook it when I don't need it, since loading in and out is a huge pain.

Aside from that, I've done other stuff that has reduced my costs, but not particularly BECAUSE of that. Stopped eating fast food, for example, and started bringing a sandwich to work. Not for cost reasons though, mostly because eating fast food every day was gonna kill me! ;)

I've replaced all lights in my house with CF bulbs, and am actually using my Colorstrips (LED lighting) in the hallways when I'm not taking them to gigs. Going to be putting a mounting bracket for them on the ceiling hopefully this weekend.

As far as AC, etc... I'll pay the cost rather than suffer in the heat. In the summertime it gets to 110+ degrees here with 90% humidity, since we're right near the water. To hell with that.

I've got lots of credit card debt, twenty years of student loan debt, and another year of car payments... maybe one day that will all go away. :(

• Members

I have done things to keep my car (90 Accord) getting as good of gas milage as possible. When I got the car it was getting like 22mpg. I keep the oil changed, tune up (distributer cap rotor, ignition timing, valve lash), tires aired up to 50 psi. Now I can get 28-30 mpg. This, along with less driving helps a lot. In the summer I'll be riding my motorcycle more because it gets around 50 mpg. Gas prices are a real killer though. :(

I also try to not buy beer at any restaurant unless it's a special occasion and just get it at the grocery store. You can go to a pub and get a burger for $6 with a glass of water. Then the beer is $4. That's almost as much as the damn food!

I think eating out a lot in general is a big money waster for me. Even though I stray from fast food for health reasons, I still eat out A LOT and I need to change that. It's just really hard when you're out and about all the time.

• Members

I don't go out as much as I used to, but that's more of a budgetary thing. I used to blow a lot of money but don't as much anymore. Really watch my grocery bills closely. Planning on ditching my 22 mpg BMW for a 28 mpg Accord. Also moving back with my folks for a year to save up for a down payment on a house. Paid down a lot of debt, hopefully want to pay down almost all of it by next fall.

Mostly though, this is all because I'm still young and learning how to budget and save and not because of a bad economy.

• Members

Here are a few things.

I listen to the Dave Ramsey show podcast.

http://www.daveramsey.com/tdrs/

I shave with a 7-dollar feather double edge razor, with 25 cent blades and use a 99 cent williams mug soap with a 9 dollar synthetic brush. I get better shaves than when I was using gel and a mach 3.

I had made a parody thread here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847560

When I wrote that thread, I was using a Merkur DE, but I moved to a feather DE because I'm a ninja.

Also, this thread (and forum) is great:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52305

• Members

Well to begin with as soon as I can ride a bicycle I pedal my ass all over, this being Minnesota you learn to be patient for spring.

I also only need about a $25 per week in gas as i don't drive excessively, I live in a pretty big metro area so there's a lot near by. That IS off set by my car payment.

I keep my rent low and split between three of us, monthly everything is about $350 total each.

I eat in almost exclusively. I can't imagine why people pay for steaks at a restaurant. I also buy the cheapest acceptable things at the grocery store.

I shop at Good Will, there happens to be one near home that gets donations from Target's clothing design department so i get $40 sweaters for $5.

beers out are almost exclusively "happy hours" otherwise it's fresh from my refrigerator.

I carry a pretty small debit load in the end as well. I don't ever put groceries or a dinner on the credit card - only buy what I can pay off in about two months.

• Members

i drive a 2002 vw jetta, and get about 42 mpg! (come on people, swap to stick...) i eat in, and i refuse to move out of my parents house! (that is the big one) i am also thinking about going to attack heads on my next head change... the price of heads is crazy! i just wish i could test out some attack heads to see how they compare... i play coated g2's on my toms, so i think it should be damn close.

• Members

Since my wife and I are retired, we live on a fixed income. We've cut back on just about everything. No car trips, not much eating out, staying local, etc. Our biggest problem is that as prices go up, our standard of living keeps going down. If the economy keeps going the way it is, we may have to go back to work. Ah well, what can you do.:eek:

• Members

I'm only 16 so the economy doesn't really effect me that much but I still try to keep costs down cause I don't get any allowance and my parents basically only pay for school stuff. I live pretty far away from my school (7 miles) so I try to drive carefully and not waste any gas, I average around 32 mpg. I only buy food or drinks like once a week at most so I end up spending like $7. I try to be nice at work to get as much tip as possible. Carpool on the weekends with friends to save on gas, turn off the ac/heater in the car unless its really cold, keep the radio volume down. I also try to sell a lot of things (sold my stock drum heads to a beginning drummer friend of mine). And for those who smoke: I use a vape so it really cuts down the cost.

• Members

how do you like it? i have thought about it before... but never got one.

I like it a lot, I never cough anymore, the taste isn't warm air as some people believe but it ain't smoke for sure. I picked up one of those cheap ones with the glass dome and it works fine it's very efficient too saves you some money, I also bought a car adapter so I could plug it in my car for portable use. I'd definitely get one over a bong or bubbler or anything like that, just cause it saves my lungs a great deal of trouble, literally no cough just like weird tasting air.

• Members

Here are a few things.

I listen to the Dave Ramsey show podcast.

That's who I've been following for the past years. I have his book, gone to FPU. I wanted to see if anyone would ask first because it seems when you right off say "There's this guy named Dave Ramsey..." Everbody wants thinks your selling something or Dave makes his money off you buying from him.

But to everybody on here: His system really does work!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice and posts! I'm not really panicing about stuff too much. It's just that we have been on a budget ( which really all it means is I pull out money out of my check for each purchase I used to pull out my debit card for. Gas, Beer-cig-cokes, eating out, and a little for blow ($20) in case I want to rent a video or a friend wants me to go to Taco Bell with him. I keep it with me in envelopes or now in a plastic coupon holder thing.

THe other money is written down and given a name $$$ for electric, $$ for cable and internet, $$$ for groceries. $$ for savings, we already have so much taken out for vacation fund and for insurance payments.

But like Cutter said I've seen it go from $35 to $50 to fill up my S-10 small pickup. Also we have budgetted about $500 a month for groceries ($250 a pay period) Mind you groceries means everything to run the house, meat, eggs, milk, dog/cat food, shampoo/deodorant, light bulbs, our lunches for work, a tea pitcher, asprin, etc... most the stuff you find at Wal-Mart. Lately we have only been buying bread at the bread store (it's so much cheaper) and are thinking about shopping more at Save A Lot (a cleareance and generic) supermarket in town. It used to be a good budget for groceries, now it keeps pushing higher than that.

Zeromus- I like the lights in the hallway! and I understand about running the A/C when needed!! in Florida air can save your life. lately it's been so cool at nights so opening the windows and fans sometimes works. I don't mind paying a little more but I'm just hoping we can keep it from being wasted.

1001 Gear: Dbl Cheeseburgers for a buck is cheaper for them then when I worked at McDs in the 80's and a good point!

Djphonics: That's a VERY good point about car maintence. It does help out a LOT. Yeah I hate buying beer out too! Is why I quit going to bars so much if I wasn't playing. There is a new Huddle House (like Waffle House) a mile from my house, about a month ago was eating a BBQ sandwhich with fries and it was $6 (before the drink). For the same $6, I could buy a pound of hamburger, a can of Manwhich (is like BBQ sauce) AND the the buns and have like two or three BBQ sandwhiches. I think if you just plan ahead a little, get a paper bag or a lunch pal. TV dinners, crackers, the soups that just take water and a microwave. Vienna Sausages in a can, even like Zeromus said: bring a sandwhich or two with you.

K Bollox: Hey way to go!! I like your way of thinking. You're doing better than me with riding the bike and GoodWill shopping. Very GOOD ideas as well.

theDan: Hey man Carpooling and info on Vape. Sounds like you got a good plan going. If you ever get a chance, please check out the Dave Ramesy website and let me know what you think. Just saying it because it has a lot of good info and has written plans that you can follow so that you can retire a multimillionare. (No Joke) I paid for my own stuff in high school as well. I never was in debt until I went to college and got credit cards in my mid 20's. Just know that you DON'T need a credit card! Life does not take Visa, but Visa does take life!

Thanks again for all the good ideas!!

• Members

Note:

I started this thread to maybe have a more meaningful discussion other than top then drummers or what cymbal for me?

Also somewhat because some items are going up in cost but I'm not all about the gloom and doom. I remeber the gas lines and high inflation in the 70's, the steel mills and car factories shutting down, unemployement and "Black Monday" in the 80's, and of course was the further loss of manufacturing and textiles in the US along with the .com bust in the 90's

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

Also somebody remarked how some poor soul will pay $1,000 for a 20year set on Craiglist because they know nothing about drums.

So, I wanted a thread that would be where we could tell each other and educate one another about other things where we could not get ripped off. Not so much "the sky is falling" drama because it's not. Yet. LOL

Like theDan's thing about Vape. very informative and a good review about things we use everyday.....

• Members

Yeah after reading a few OT threads in this forum over the past year I've decided to either a) never get a credit card or b) only use it when I have the money (to build credit) and then stash the cash that it would've cost in a small box or something so I don't ever end up owing anything.

• Members

My mother used to work at a bank. An old school community bank in a small town, not a faceless behemoth. She bought several Dave Ramsey books so that she could give them away. Mainly because she feels that most of his teachings match what they were taught in the bank. Even Dave will say that his ideas are not new.

Of course, being a son of a first responder and a banker means that lots of 'old fashioned' things like rainy day funds and envelope systems are just part of the way I grew up.

• Members

I don't drive much. I live 9 minutes from work, and I actually only work two long shifts, so I only drive there twice a week, but I still work 45 hours. I fill up my car about once every 3 weeks. Because I only work a couple of days a week, I have roughly 5 days off a week which allows me to be at home to care for my kids. This eliminates child care which used to cost me around $10k a year.

I don't smoke, and I only drink about 4 times a year which saves me probably 1-2,000 a year.

I maintain a savings account which is such a nice thing to have when something expensive decides to break.

I stay out of debt. I owe on my house, my car, and some student loans. That's it. I have a credit card, but I don't use it.

Other than that, I really don't deprive myself of too much. If I want to go out and eat, -and I do enjoy eating out- I do it. I try to limit it, but I'm not very good at that. If I want to buy something, I usually buy it, but it's rarely anything really expensive. I'd love to have a nice new set of D-dubs or Noble & Cooley's, or a nice Gibson ES335, but it's pretty unlikely that I'll be buying anything like this in the near future. What I'll do is make use of the stuff I've got, which is nothing special but has certainly served me well over the years.

Yeah after reading a few OT threads in this forum over the past year I've decided to either a) never get a credit card or b) only use it when I have the money (to build credit) and then stash the cash that it would've cost in a small box or something so I don't ever end up owing anything.

That would be very wise. Credit card companies will be targeting you in a couple of years. In college we used to earn money for student organizations by getting students to fill out credit card apps. 3 apps and the student gets a free T-shirt or a 2 liter of pop.

A culture of "see, want, borrow, buy" has been cultivated in this country and it is not a good thing. You're going to find the desire to have that new drumset or TV or livingroom set, and the possibility of paying for it over time very appealing in the near future. Don't give in to the temptation. If you want it, then save for it and buy it when you have the money. You'll find you're far more spend conscious that way as well. It's harder to let go of your money when you're holding it in your hand. If you fall into the trap of debt, you will find it's a first class bitch to escape from.

• Members

My mother used to work at a bank. An old school community bank in a small town, not a faceless behemoth. She bought several Dave Ramsey books so that she could give them away. Mainly because she feels that most of his teachings match what they were taught in the bank. Even Dave will say that his ideas are not new.

Of course, being a son of a first responder and a banker means that lots of 'old fashioned' things like rainy day funds and envelope systems are just part of the way I grew up.

Yeah, Dave Ramsey calls it common sense for your dollars and cents. It's weird, I remember being chatised for leaving lights on, leaving the front door and fridge door open, being told we couldn't afford it, You get X amount of dollars and that's it. SO I knew money didn't grow on trees but my parents never showed me HOWto really balance a check book, set up a household budget etc. I can remember being 19 and 20 and barely having $20 left until the next payday after rent, phone, elec, car insurance, gas etc.

That really is the heart of Dave Ramsey and the common sense of yesteryear. Like when you went to the fair and got $10 to spend and no more. You watched out for each dollar spent. You knew exactly how much you had left over and that made it really go farther! Today, even with a debit card and the internet, you can swipe the card or spend $10 in a second at 7-11, McDs, Amazon.com, etc. Just do that 3 to 5 times a week and you're talking $30-50! and then over a month, you're talking $120-200! If you balance your checkbook and budget each month, you again start knowing exactly how much you have, it goes further, and the bounced checks stop.

Image saving that money or putting it in a money market account (short term, under 5 years) or in a mutual fund (long term over 5 years) or IRA Roth or retirement account (very long term, 10-20 yeares, and more times)

But at the same time, me and the wife still have many debates on the budget, what should go where etc. who's doing the most, it's not all ice cream and cherries, but it is nice not being gobbled up in payments. and I don't know everything, I'm learning also and I too still have lean times that break the budget.

Archived