OT: raising prices and extra money?

twosticks

• Members

I only drive my car to gigs,bank,market and the GAS STATION....gas here is $3.41 per gal and going up every few days....sucks! I'm angry! I'm in hock and I hate it....apartment living for me got rid of the house about ten years ago soooo the house crunch does not matter to me but it is bad where I live. I have friends who are going belly-up left and right.

• Members

I only drive my car to gigs,bank,market and the GAS STATION....gas here is $3.41 per gal and going up every few days....sucks! I'm angry! I'm in hock and I hate it....apartment living for me got rid of the house about ten years ago soooo the house crunch does not matter to me but it is bad where I live. I have friends who are going belly-up left and right.

Uhhhhhhhhh... average around my parts is 3.79, I'd be so happy to see $3.41 anywhere.

• Members

Stay away from Houston. Unless you have an energy star home, your AC bill will be about $400/mo in the summer. We cant break that so far. Cant wait to move.

My AC bill is easily half of what the rest of my block is paying. It comes down to a few things, but I have no south or east facing windows. It is two stories with a central living room w/ vaulted ceilings. That means that if I have the fans on, all the air circulates very easily through the living room.

Also, trees.

...and in the winter, because of free firewood, I do not have a heating bill, as my fireplace can heat the whole house.

I'm pretty sure that I can knock my summer AC bill in half it I install a couple of solar attic fans and a closed system solar AC system. (Imagine a bank of solar panels that feed into a bank of deep cycle batteries, and those power an air-conditioner. I use all the solar power first, and any extra help comes from the existing AC. I know a few dude that did this, and it is a simple way to reduce energy costs).

Remember, the energy costs of a house vary from house to house more than from city to city. So, moving out of houston my not be the answer.

• Members

Well lets see,

I have only had 2 jobs in 23 years

I was laid off last June do lawsuits against my then employer, Medtronic.

I found out that my estranged wife hadn't made a house payment in 6 months and was about to lose the house so I moved into a room I built in the garage for my eldest son, and made him share one with his brother, cashed out my 401k to pay off her back payments (while still unemployed) so that my kids have a place to live.

Lucky I don't have any credit card debt as I still have no options on a job.

My car is paid off... But if things keep up I may need to sell it and buy something a bit more efficient. We are headed into the summer here in Phoenix, and I just had to turn air A/C on, its 92 today. 401K money is now gone and I have about 5k left in unemployment fund.

So I guess I have cut back on my spending already.

• Members

Keep these things in mind when you vote, on any level. I have yet to hear a candidate say anything useful about getting the economy up and gas down again, I graduate this Friday, and I am already disenchanted about the workforce and economy, and I have zero credit and zero social security to depend on.

Its a sad time to be anything but rich in this country of ours. I wish us all luck in the coming years until I pick up and move to Germany.

Archived