Peter Criss: Hugely influential mediocrity

akaiser77

• Members

not logical. I could say the same thing about britney spears. And there are plenty of people who don't know any KISS. (ie..britney spears fans)

Just because they were popular doesn't mean they were great song writers. And one good hook per song and marketing doesn't make good song writing either.

Not logical? Really?

So good song writing is what then?

Maybe you can explain what good song writing is...

Because in my book, great song writing is exactly that...

another brittney reference,some people like it,get over it! brittneys fans are young girls who enjoy the beat and her whoreish ways.there is a huge difference.

Not so young anymore.. 20/30 somethings these days.. lol... In a few years, it'll be soccer moms..

• Members

My two cents: I was a child of the 70's I grew up on radio, back when FM was really gaining ground for rock and roll.

KISS was the dream for the grade school boy that I was and getting into music and listening to the radio and was cool with my peers. Where the girls were into Strawberry Shortcake, Holly Hobbie and the like, boys were into other things, like music. I don't know know, back then it was riding bikes, playing Atrai and playing KISS records. I remember also being really into the Original Star Wars Theme, Convoy (yes by CW McCall) Smokey and the Bandit, etc, it just was.

Was before I really got into drums so I knew of Peter Criss and had Kiss Alive I & II and then many of the other albums. Is weird because back then everybody had Boston's first album, Peter Frampton comes Alive, Bee Gees, was just a whole cornicopia of different music of the time.

Kiss was a first in rock, and to many they were what defined a "rock and roll" superstar band. What Metalicca was to the 80's, Kiss was to the 70's. Kiss was just a really cool show, especially to young guys, fireworks, rock and roll, lightshow etc. When I was younger, Criss was an amazing drummer, but he was the only "drummer" I knew of.

As I grew older, got out of Kiss and moved on. Yeah the playing was okay, but they were the first in many ways and rocked much of the 70's. anyway, hope this helps

• Members

Not logical? Really?

So good song writing is what then?

Maybe you can explain what good song writing is...

Because in my book, great song writing is exactly that...

I will admit that this whole thing is subjective...but still...just like you can see someone who can play a double stroke roll better than someone else...I think you can see better song writing, song structure, arrangement, etc..between bands.

Well I can think of 3 contemporaries of the top of my head that were much better song writers than KISS. Aerosmith, Zepplin and Boston...all bands popular around the same time. I mean I think it's just obvious.

I think some of you are taking this personally. And I'm not trying to take anything away from their influence or accomplishment...in fact I've stated it in this thread myself. I have several KISS albums and have seen them live. It's not like I don't like them. Hell I like them A LOT more than I like {censored}ing Boston...But ONE listen to your average Boston song will tell you they were much better song writers than KISS.

• Members

I generally don't rip on artists, especially those with 35 year careers and hundreds of millions of records sold. I'm not going to start now.

I will simply say that as a eight-year old, the inside spread of the Alive II record made me want to play drums and be in a rock band before I ever heard a note.

Alive2.jpg

• Members

I generally don't rip on artists, especially those with 35 year careers and hundreds of millions of records sold. I'm not going to start now.

I will simply say that as a eight-year old, the inside spread of the Alive II record made me want to play drums and be in a rock band before I ever heard a note.

Alive2.jpg

I wish I knew how much time I spent looking at that album cover! That is the one thing I miss the most about the vinyl format!

• Members

... who doesn't know the words to at least one KISS tune..

I don't.

Saw their St. Louis debut in '74 ... free concert, they were on a flatbed trailer. A rock band that dressed up like Bozo the Clown. We threw trash at them and left. Shame they made it indoors.

They are only a testament to successful marketing.

Barney was also a big hit.

• Members

Kiss is a prime example of "Success is not a measuring stick for talent".

No one can argue the fact that they reached a level of success, that some only dream about, yet none of the original members were very good musicians or singers. What they, (and Gene Simmons, particularly, even though I can't stand the egotistical son of bitch), were/are, is, marketing genius's!

It proves Tommy Mottola's point that marketing, management, and business knowledge, are far more important to success in popular music, then talent is.

• Members

Grew up on Stax, Motown and the like so when I first heard Kiss I was like " what the {censored} is this simple bull{censored}?!". To this day I can't stand their music. I've played in cover bands where we played but hated every minute of it. You can have it.

+1:thu:

• Members

my extreme hatred for gene simmons is so intense, it extends to all those associated with KISS.

Awww... did he steal your girl?, lol.

I can say this about Peter Criss and Kiss.

I get it!

I can see why they are one of the most influential bands ever. They represented parental rebellion to every teenager, they were larger than life cartoons to every kid under 13. The hardcore fans are those people and musicians who grew up as kids watching that on tv. Any 8 year old kid who saw Peter Criss on tv with a drum kit that just took over 1/2 the stage wanted to be a drummer. It just looked so cool!

It was the visual aspect of big lights, costumes, fake blood and pyro that sold the records. No one ever claimed they were world class musicians, but they didn't have to be, they were/are KISS!

I saw them a few years back, I didn't go to the show to listen to 1/2 assed songs. I went to watch a kick ass, over the top rock show! And I would do it again!

• Members

When Kiss came out in 1973 or 1974 (can't remember exactly) there were other bands with much more talented drummers and better songsthat I was into: There was John Bonham, Ian Paice, and Carl Palmer to name three. For me, the song has to come first. If I don't relate to a song any amount of theatrics or pyrotechnics isn't going to make me like it.

For me, if you compare Kiss with Alice Cooper, Alice wins hands down.

• Members

When Kiss came out in 1973 or 1974 (can't remember exactly) there were other bands with much more talented drummers and better songsthat I was into: There was John Bonham, Ian Paice, and Carl Palmer to name three. For me, the song has to come first. If I don't relate to a song any amount of theatrics or pyrotechnics isn't going to make me like it.

+1 :thu:

Archived