The Share-A-Tip Thread

Cratz

• Members

Here's a tip for ya: Buy low, sell high.

ba dump ching!

Real tip: Invest $10 in a Zildian Drummer's Survival Pack. I bought one 10 years ago, and have used the contents many, many times. Mostly cymbal sleeves and felts, but had to use one of the springs once, and one of the snare cords.

I usually leave whatever I use on the kit that needed it, and I still have more than half the pack left!

for what it's worth.

I'll build on this one... a tackle box makes a really great carrier for your felts, cymbal sleeves, snare cords, tension rods and washers, allen wrenches, drum keys, screwdriver, pliers, duct tape, flashlight... whatever you take to gigs. Keeps it all organized and easy to find.

• Members

I use a Meguiar's Spray & Wax type deal for cleaning the drums. A nice shine and polish.

I also do the tackle box for miscellaneous shiite.

And of course, get a cheap big hockey bag (pref 40") off Craigslist for all your hardware. Wheels is a plus.

Bonus points, bring a towel to gigs to wipe sweat, and if your kick is unruly, throw it in there. Duct tape is good too. Flashlight is awesome.

• Members

Once a year, hit all things metal with turtle wax. It will never rust or pit and will always look new. Works on tools as well. Once a year all ya need.

I'm going to guess that it's not a good idea to do that on old patina'd cymbals, hmm?

• Members

Bonus points, bring a towel to gigs to wipe sweat, and if your kick is unruly, throw it in there.
Duct tape is good too.
Flashlight is awesome.

I'm on a mission, so pardon me, but...

Duct tape is something no self-respecting musician should ever have in their possession.

Get a roll of gaffer's tape; it's easier to work with, easier to tear into the exact size piece you need, just as strong and can be used in all the ways duct tape can be, and doesn't leave the impossible to clean off residue of duct tape.

If you are going to bother with bringing a roll of something along, make it gaff tape.

• Members

Always count the number of items you put in the wagon...twice....going to the gig.....and count them again....three times before leaving the venue.

Wouldn't be the first time I've left a tom sitting at the side of the stage after a gig.:facepalm:

• Members

Take your duct tape (Or Gaff tape for indie cred) off the roll and re-role it flat onto itself.

It fits a lot easier in your cymbal bag, hardware bag, etc.

I keep several flat rolls of duct tape in any compartment that can hold it.

• Members

Take your duct tape (Or Gaff tape for indie cred)...

If by 'indie' you mean: smarter, more logical, wiser, able to discern the best tool for the job, etc., etc....then sure.

If, however, you want to remain all 'street legit' and continue to use duct tape, go right ahead.

:thu:

• Members

I'm on a mission, so pardon me, but...

Duct tape is something
no self-respecting musician should ever have in their possession

Well I guess I don't respect myself, since I have a roll of red duct tape in my gig briefcase. I use it to tape down cords that run across walkways.

I think the key thing that self-respecting musicians should know is that when removed within the span of a typical gig, duct tape does not leave any residue. If you need to secure something longer than a few hours, you shouldn't be using any kind of tape. That's what nylon cable ties are for. I have a few of those in my briefcase too!

• Members

If by 'indie' you mean: smarter, more logical, wiser, able to discern the best tool for the job, etc., etc....then sure.

If, however, you want to remain all 'street legit' and continue to use duct tape, go right ahead.

:lol:

• Members

If you want to deaden your toms, try sticking a few cotton balls inside the drum thru the air vent.

You only need about 3, maybe 4 at the most. when you hit the drum, they will fly up in the air for a split second and the come back down onto the resonant head and take out some ring.

• Members

Well I guess I don't respect myself, since I have a roll of red duct tape in my gig briefcase. I use it to tape down cords that run across walkways.

I think the key thing that self-respecting musicians should know is that when removed within the span of a typical gig, duct tape does not leave any residue. If you need to secure something longer than a few hours, you shouldn't be using any kind of tape. That's what nylon cable ties are for. I have a few of those in my briefcase too!

gray not red !!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

• Members

If you want to deaden your toms, try sticking a few cotton balls inside the drum thru the air vent.

You only need about 3, maybe 4 at the most. when you hit the drum, they will fly up in the air for a split second and the come back down onto the resonant head and take out some ring.

That would be awesome with acrylic drums.

Because even if you're {censored}, you can still entertain people.

Archived