Style two:

- Snare

- Rack tom

- Rack tom

- Ride

- Floor tom

- (optional) Floor tom

EDIT:

And what genres do you prefer/play the most in picking one setup or the other?

/EDIT:

Just kind of curious. I see a TON of people using the classic... but I've only ever used style 2 and I think I'd really miss that second rack... not to mention hating the ride in that position.

I play punk and rock. Boston needs to be played w/2 rack toms :).

• Members

The ride is way more important/useful close to me than a second rack tom. Some jazz jams I attend I'll only bring one tom, sometimes none. I prefer the bebop setup with 2-3 different crashable rides.

Hmm.. good point. Included in the original question should be favorite/most played genres w/the setup...

Perfectly understandable for Jazz.

• Members

Depends entirely on the genre of music being played. I prefer a 7 pc for most of the stuff I play. A 5 pc will do in a pinch. Unless I'm playing BeBop, a 4 pc is just silly. Not enough of a tonal pallet to choose from, for the majority of the type of music I like to play. ;)

• Members

the least I would take to a gig:

left to right

hats

snare

rack

ride

floor tom

at least 2 crashes - 1 between the hats and rack (16"), 1 over the floor tom (16 or 18)

but I like having my 14" paper thin either over the hats or over the ride

I also use a side snare if think I can use it on a gig, and there's room, and my aux hats between the rack and ride.

for a few weeks I had my middle sized tom to the right of my floor tom, just cuz I had it.

• Members

Lately while jamming at home I've been putting my 10" converted snare to the left of my 12". If I had an intense fusion or livetronica project that gigged often I'd bring that out more. My usually gig set is 12" rack and 14" floor, rock or jazz.

• Members

I play rock, with my formative years in hardcore punk.

I've played numerous setups with 1, 2, 3 and 4 toms, multiple rack toms and up-to-2 floor toms (on my right and split on both sides) and everywhere in between configurations...

I always come back to 1 rack up top with the ride in the spot where a 2nd rack would be. For the past 2 years, I've been playing with 2 floor toms on my right for the most part.

I find the idea of style of music being played dictating what set-up works best kind of...laughable, honestly.

Ultimately...

Whatever works for you...works for you; it's that simple.

• Members

Sometimes I'll put up a rack tom or an extra ride/crash.

But for the most part, the set-up is:

kick, snare, floor tom, hats, ride, and extra mountable percussion miscellany ... lately the SPD-S has been incorporated more

As far as genres go, I'd guess the band plays "indie" music? To me, it's just fun experimenting by starting with a more minimalistic approach then playing around with different textures.

• Members

My favorite setup used to be 3 racks, a floor, snare and kick. Now it's 2 up two down. I like my ride position more now with 2 up 2 down but I still like the 3rd rack if i had one... Currently this is the most comfortable and flowing my setup has ever been...only took me 40 years to learn what's best for me...

• Members

Well of course I meant more than just what was in the OP... I didn't include hats or any cymbals besides the ride :p. I'm just talking about basic setup. If you had to pick between those two, which would you prefer?

Since that's kicked to crap already... I hear a lot of ppl talking about 2 floors. I'm still pretty green, but that's one of the things that has intrigued me the most. I have some decent hats, need a better ride, would like some better crashes, but that second floor looks more and more juicy... especially as my guitarist has me do more and more bass work.

• Members

I play rock, classic rock, garage rock, stuff like that..

And do just fine with a minimal 4 piece.

Kick, rack, floor, and snare..

Cymbals are ride, ride, and hats. Everything multi purpose.

Keep it simple and make music, nothin fancy, works for me..

Archived