Favorite Cymbals? (I'm sure this has probably been posted 10,000 times before)

neschn

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's like beer or wine. Some guys will only stick by their favorites whereas others appreciate the variety of flavor.

Or to put it another way...

Some are able to appreciate when they've found the best/right choices for their situation, whereas others are unable to pick something that they will definitely stick with.

:poke:

• Members

And you've just scratched the surface of the actual
good
Paiste offering...

If you like the entry-level junker stuff, you should love the better quality lines.

I have a full set-up from the Signature line (Full Ride/Full Crashes/Hats/Splashes/China); another set-up that's a mix of Twenty Series hats (and China on order), 2002 ride, Sig & Dimensions Crashes, and then the "C-Team" which stays at home for woodshedding and emergency backup which includes all the older stuff I replaced in my gigging set-ups.

Well, I'm also 17 and have bought everything myself. My parents don't help me out with anything very much, so everything on my set was purchased by me (mostly before I even had a job). I don't think Alpha's are really Entry level junk, the 502 is but not the Alpha. I've read that some pro drummers use Alpha because of the sound. I personally love Alphas, and I would love to get Sigs, I have the Full Ride but thats only because it was on Clearance.

• Members
Well, I'm also 17 and have bought everything myself. My parents don't help me out with anything very much, so everything on my set was purchased by me (mostly before I even had a job). I don't think Alpha's are really Entry level junk, the 502 is but not the Alpha. I've read that some pro drummers use Alpha because of the sound. I personally love Alphas, and I would love to get Sigs, I have the Full Ride but thats only because it was on Clearance.

Ok, Alphas are next step after entry level junk...

I'm not trying to put you/your available options down, mind you: I just know that Paiste, like virtually every over manufacturer in the game, has what can most easily be described as 'entry-level and professional level' offerings. The Alphas sound good for what they are, but what they aren't is a pro-level (materials/manufacturing) cymbal line, IMO.

And don't use that 17/no help from parents stuff as a reason not to aspire to and more importantly go after better gear.
:cop:
Been there, done that. You can figure out some way to afford the good stuff if you apply yourself, I'm sure of it, and ultimately, you'll almost certainly enjoy playing that much more.

• Members

Clarification on my original post...

I started way back using only Zildjian. Then Sabian...then I stopped playing for about 8 years.

When I got back into drumming again, I started off with what I knew - Sabian...and I was disappointed. Went to Zildjian - a bit better, but not what I wanted. Someone turned me towards Paiste. Exactly the sound I was looking for.

Bought a set of 2002's - 16/17/18 crashes, 22" ride, and 14 sound edge hats, later adding an 18" china.

After about a year of beating the {censored} out of them (it's how I play too...) (someone once said, it looks like you are trying to kill your cymbals...) - my hats got a crack...then my 17" crash...and I decided to sell the rest off while they were still in great condition. During that year, I also bought my 2nd drum kit, and went all out with the same setup in the Signature "Full" line (thin china) for the second kit.

Switched to Alpha Rock series (+1" on crashes as well) after 2002's started breaking...while they obviously don't sound as good as the Signatures nor the 2002's, I can beat the unholy {censored} out of them all day and they won't break. GREAT for practice and live. (they do the job!)

I debate about selling off the Alpha's and going to Signature Heavy/Power...but I can't justify the cost until I'm making the money to pay for them with a band, and truth be told, while there is a difference...it's 90% the same. Will the audience ever know? Doubtful. Same with moving to 2002 heavy/power series...which I know would, to me, sound a lot better...but it's just not worth it - plus if these Alpha's do break...it's MUCH cheaper to replace...

Also...

Alpha's (really do IMO) compare to Zildjian A's and Sabian AA's in terms of quality of sound...I went through them all...

And the best part about Paiste...blind-buy OK. No hunting through stacks of them to find "the one"...they sound like the clips on the website...every one of them. For someone who searches their sound, how reassuring is it that you can call up MF and have one shipped to your house, that will sound exactly like what your last cymbal that got lost/stolen/broken...

• Members

Every cymbal is an individual entity. Brand is immaterial.

I disagree: brand is an indicator of general cymbal sound in many cases.

Zildjian cymbals from across many decades have an overall shared common sonic character to my ears, as do Paistes and Sabians, etc.

While ALL cymbal manufacturers have changed their lines & manufacturing methods, etc. over time, I think you can still tell a fair amount about how a cymbal will sound simply by whose name is stamped on it.

Throw up 3 crash cymbals of varying types: a Zildjian, a Paiste and a Sabian. Hell, throw a 4th from another manufacturer up: I would bet most of us who are familiar with cymbals enough could tell you which one was from whom without looking at them, just from hearing them struck.

Now if you're open to trying anything with your setup, looking for 'any' sound that you like, sure, brand won't come into play. But if you're like me, it's more likely that you've come to realize that there are certain things you want out of a cymbal, and certain things you do not want, and you know that you're (most likely) to get them from certain brands, and not from others.

To me, Zildjian cymbals, across eras and lines, sound like CYMBALS. If you opened up an audio dictionary and played an example of 'a cymbal', the sound you heard would be a Zildjian. I personally have no dislike for Zildjian, but...time & experience has shown me that I'm not particularly inspired by their cymbals overall.

On the other hand, Paiste cymbals, across lines and eras, have always come across as a more musical brand; there's something about their process overall where their offer just seems to have a bit of something extra to it. And I like that about them, and that's why I look exclusively to Paiste when looking for new cymbals. That and the fact that their manufacturing is far more consistent overall from cymbal to cymbal, so that if I want to replace a specific make/model due to breakage, etc., I know the replacement stands a better than average chance of sounding almost exactly the same (That's been my experience with them. I have not noted that with Zildjian, Sabian, or other cymbal manufacturers.

• Members

I disagree: brand is an indicator of general cymbal sound in many cases.

Zildjian cymbals from across many decades have an overall shared common sonic character to my ears, as do Paistes and Sabians, etc.

While ALL cymbal manufacturers have changed their lines & manufacturing methods, etc. over time, I think you can still tell a fair amount about how a cymbal will sound simply by whose name is stamped on it.

Throw up 3 crash cymbals of varying types: a Zildjian, a Paiste and a Sabian. Hell, throw a 4th from another manufacturer up: I would bet most of us who are familiar with cymbals enough could tell you which one was from whom without looking at them, just from hearing them struck.

Now if you're open to trying anything with your setup, looking for 'any' sound that you like, sure, brand won't come into play. But if you're like me, it's more likely that you've come to realize that there are certain things you want out of a cymbal, and certain things you do not want, and you know that you're (most likely) to get them from certain brands, and not from others.

To me, Zildjian cymbals, across eras and lines, sound like CYMBALS. If you opened up an audio dictionary and played an example of 'a cymbal', the sound you heard would be a Zildjian. I personally have no dislike for Zildjian, but...time & experience has shown me that I'm not particularly inspired by their cymbals overall.

On the other hand, Paiste cymbals, across lines and eras, have always come across as a more musical brand; there's something about their process overall where their offer just seems to have a bit of something extra to it. And I like that about them, and that's why I look exclusively to Paiste when looking for new cymbals. That and the fact that their manufacturing is far more consistent overall from cymbal to cymbal, so that if I want to replace a specific make/model due to breakage, etc., I know the replacement stands a better than average chance of sounding almost exactly the same (That's been my experience with them. I have not noted that with Zildjian, Sabian, or other cymbal manufacturers.

Your point is certainly not lost on me. It's a matter of how you approach choosing your cymbals, and there is really no wrong way...just personal preference. I prefer to disregard brand. It is interesting that in my experience, most players I've seen/known who are truly brand loyal, aside from endorsements, are Paiste guys. The consistency in their lines/models is certainly an asset in that respect.

• Members

Alpha's (really do IMO) compare to Zildjian A's and Sabian AA's in terms of quality of sound...I went through them all...

none I've heard or played. Perhaps in a loud rock club few would complain, but to me they're lacking the sweet warmth that can come from well crafted b20. And not saying I haven't heard some A's with questionable overtones, but I've never once thought an Alpha was top shelf.

• Members

I'm OCD and need my cymbals to all match. And I usually like mine to all be from the same "family"...I usually don't want say a dark K crash and then a Z Custom rock crash. I like one cymbal a little brighter/thinner and one a little darker/thicker.

It's a shame there aren't more good cheap cymbals. I was looking at Sabians and Zildjians and they want $400 for a pair of 14" hats! That's nuts.

• Members

I can't say I hate Paiste cymbals,I just found that Sabian has the sound I was looking for,and Paistes are very hard to find in my area,well,the good ones are at least.
I never cared much for Zildjian and probably never will. I had a few China's and even they were not the sound I was wanting,but I Didn't figure that out until I got my 18" HH Chinas,then I figured out the Zildjians I was using sustained way longer then I liked or wanted. Zildjian Chinas are great for killing someones ears :)

• Members

none I've heard or played. Perhaps in a loud rock club few would complain, but to me they're lacking the sweet warmth that can come from well crafted b20. And not saying I haven't heard some A's with questionable overtones, but I've never once thought an Alpha was top shelf.

Alpha's sound well ahead of the Sabian AA's I've bought. A's are a bit tougher to judge...which is why I say they are on the same level.

Both of them sound pretty lifeless and less "explosive" compared to alphas. I'll definately say that as well. Zildjian and Sabian are dark and clank-y and just totally dead by comparison - like someone took an alpha and covered it with duct tape.

• Members

again, the thing for me with Paiste is that they sound exactly like the samples on their website. Even if you can't find and play the cymbal locally - you know what it'll sound like and can order one...locally or via internet/mail-order. Zildjian / Sabian, you need to hunt through 10's - 1000's to get the right one....then if it breaks/stolen/etc - you're up {censored} creek when it comes to getting a replacement because no two are exactly alike...and have to hunt through 10's-1000's to get it again. I don't know about you, but NO ONE around here carries that many cymbals...GC and one drum shop in town, might have, at most, 4 of the same type/model/size, and only in the "lower" lines...simply because no one is getting high-end stuff these days...

I've also yet to hear a Zildjian or a Sabian come even close to my Paiste Signatures. They're just not in the same league...

Also, the video posted - shows that 95% of the cymbals sound the same recorded / in the mix. Except hte B8...though it sounded better recorded than I thought it ever could.

• Members
Ok, Alphas are next step after entry level junk...

I'm not trying to put you/your available options down, mind you: I just know that Paiste, like virtually every over manufacturer in the game, has what can most easily be described as 'entry-level and professional level' offerings. The Alphas sound good for what they are, but what they aren't is a pro-level (materials/manufacturing) cymbal line, IMO.

And don't use that 17/no help from parents stuff as a reason not to aspire to and more importantly go after better gear.

:cop:
Been there, done that. You can figure out some way to afford the good stuff if you apply yourself, I'm sure of it, and ultimately, you'll almost certainly enjoy playing that much more.

Haha its all good man, I hear yah. As for the 17/no help, its not an excuse xD its the truth. My parents wouldn't buy me anything xD so I am starting to buy my own good gear. I got me that new Paiste Sig Full Ride, and I got Axis pedals and I'm workin on a new china and a new crash but I gotta save up money for a car too. So I'm working my way up there, and yeah I do really enjoy playing more now that I am getting new stuff. Everyday all I want to do is play my Axis pedals forever xD

• Members

I've learned not to be too brand-centric over the years. I've used Paiste's, Zildjians, Sabians, Vaders and Cambers throughout the years and have loved/hated every brand. Lately, I've been rocking Zildjian K's and an amazing Sabian Vault crash, and they've been good to me. Before that, I used Zildjian A's, and before that, I used Sabian AA's and Paise 2002's. Hard to choose favorites. Here's how I break it down:

Favorite crashes: 19" Zildjian K Hybrid and 18" Sabian Vault
Favorite ride: 22" Zildjian K Light and 22" Paiste 2002
Favorite HH: 15" Zildjian K Light and 14" Zildjian A New Beat

EDIT: That cymbal test was pretty hilarious. I ended up blindly picking the AAX as the worst of the bunch. I liked the Paiste and Zildjian best, and picked the B8 over the AAX.

• Members

I thought the AAX was a Paiste - reminded me of Bonzo - whom I used to think used Zildjians lols.

Got 'em all rong anyway.

I knew right off the bat that number 4 was the worst for me. And I wasn't surprised one bit when it turned out to be a B8.

But I have to say the others threw me a bit. I liked the Zildgen best followed by the sabian and then the paiste...which is a little strange because I generally prefer paiste. And I HAVE a 17" mellow signature!....I guess I don't like the Full...little too dark.

I also tried to "predict" them as brands too. I thought the Z was a P and vise versa, but I did get the sabian AAX correct....lucky guess...lol....

• Members

I don't go into a music store and ever look at brands or series of cymbals. I play them all and pick out what sounds best to me, keeping in mind the tone and projection (I don't like cymbals that are too loud or require to be hit hard for a good sound). Those types lose versatility which is important for me.

But, since my taste in cymbals has never really changed, I tend to walk away with a thin Avedis crash. I've found a few Paiste rides that were amazing...but so was the price. And that is the biggest turn off for Paiste...just too darn expensive. Same goes with some K cymbals too.

Currently have:

14" and 15" A Custom crash
18" A Thin
18" Armand Thin
12" A Splash
10" AAX Splash

14" New Beats

20" A Medium Ride
22" zildjian ping/rock ride from the early 1990's or late 1980s?

I have really wanted a china but never found one I've liked yet.

Archived