Things to do with crappy/broken cymbals

JMR

• Members

ahhhhhh, nice. My parents are gone, I think I'm going to break out the hammer...

You'd have better success with a drill if you're looking to make an o-zone. If you do feel the need to use a hammer, be careful you don't break the cymbal.

• Members

One can do some amazing things with a band saw; skill saw; hammer drill and a belt sander. Add various springs, washers, bolts and nuts, chains, rivets and so on. Also, always use safety glasses, tight fitting leather gloves and hearing protection, oh, and pay strict attention to what the hell and where the hell you're cutting.........

You only have so many body parts.

• Members

It seems like there should be some way to recycle all these busted cymbals. Like give them back to a music shop so they can be cleaned and melted down back into new cymbals. I've thrown away too much perfectly usable scrap metal. Just a thought I've had for a while now.

• Members

It seems like there should be some way to recycle all these busted cymbals. Like give them back to a music shop so they can be cleaned and melted down back into new cymbals. I've thrown away too much perfectly usable scrap metal. Just a thought I've had for a while now.

Good point. Jewelers do this with gold, why not with bronze?

• Members

Sabian has their SR2 cymbals, although those are obviously not meltdown and recast (I don't think).

Also, I think Jamie at Saluda recycles some pies. IIRC he does not have a foundry yet but I believe that is a long term project.

• Members

I believe Saluda will still accept cracked/broken cymbals on trade but I would not expect much for them though, you have to be realistic. I know I sent in one once that had a small crack forming at the bell hole and Jamie did accept it. I always sent pictures of my pies before sending them in for trade to give Jamie as much info as possible on the front end.

• Members

If they're thick cymbals and the bell is preserved (no key-holing), I like to take a dremel around the bell and turn them into a home-made version of the Zil-Bel. I've had great success with these so far (I've got 5 or 6 of them). Gavin Harrison has done the same thing (though, rumor is, he has a signature line of them in the works).

• Members

If you're going to sand/drill/use machinery on them, make sure you protect your hands. They will get really hot and the heat will dissipate through the whole cymbal, so even parts you're not directly working on can get extremely hot.

Archived