Too old to start drumming?

Crusher

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I am certainly NOT looking to get famous or make a career out of drumming. I figured if I could start lessons now and maybe in 2-3 years be good enough to start looking to play local gigs/house parties/whatever with a band, that would be the icing on the cake.

• Members

I haven't read the rest of the responses, so...well, whatever. You're never too old to learn. And if you really want to learn, I seriously doubt it will take you 2-3 years before you can start playing with people. Even 6 months would be enough to get you to a point where you could keep a decent backbeat with nothing flashy.

I'll shamelessly plug my own video lesson and suggest you start here:

[video=youtube;3RRBeHwslLE]

• Members

like others have said: hobby/self-interest wise, no. career wise, yes.

Why?

Sure if it's maybe, billboard pop rock, where 20 somethings rule the scene.. But what about country, blues, jazz, folk, bluegrass, stuff like that.. Those genres don't discriminate like pop or rock does.

• Members

But what about country, blues, jazz, folk, bluegrass, stuff like that.. Those genres don't discriminate like pop or rock does.

Good point man. I'd say even rock is safe, but maybe that's due to the reason D4H mentioned with old rockers already having a big reputation and experience. Any thing's possible with the right ambition and ability though.

• Members

I didn't mean to say you couldn't be a rock star at your age and experience level. If you want to be an astronaut, you could probably get that done too. Just like being an astronaut, you just have to face the fact that you'll be competing with people who have more relevant experience and skill than you do. You might be able to develop the skills in time, but experience takes time. Throw in the fact that most newly minted "rock stars" are between 18-25 years old when they get their first big break, you're fighting father time.

Then again, it all comes down to marketing. If you can somehow make a bunch of 40+ year old dudes from the suburbs seem "relevant" and "cool" to people in the 14-30 age bracket, go for it.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I am certainly NOT looking to get famous or make a career out of drumming. I figured if I could start lessons now and maybe in 2-3 years be good enough to start looking to play local gigs/house parties/whatever with a band, that would be the icing on the cake.

sooner than that if you put in the time,hook up with the right bunch of fellows

• 9 years later...

Archived