Too old to start drumming?

Crusher

1 hour ago, ShakingCharlie said:

well I'm 60 and want to start! for fun of course, maybe a couple rolling stones covers at the local jam, and a couple cheap beers in a dirty glass lol  (played guitar and bass for 50 yrs)

There's absolutely no reason not to IMO. If you enjoy it, that's all the reason you need to do it! Besides, if you already play guitar and bass, you've already got a good idea of what rhythm is and how to count, and probably a decent amount of experience playing with drummers and know what the good ones do. You'll still need to do a lot of practicing to get your skills built up, but that's a big part of the fun - actually doing it! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For decades I used a drum machine as a back beat. I hated programming the ting and had no idea what drummer actually did.

I had a drummer friend that left his drums at my house for almost a year. One day I actually sat down at a drum kit for the first time in my life.

I tried to keep a simple beat, I mean how difficult can it be to keep a simple groove on a kick and a snare drum.

Well I found out pretty damn quickly. I go down to my dirty cellar ever day and work on it.  Took me about a month or so till every thing started coming together. I added that high hat a few rolls here and there.

About a month or two later I called up my drummer friend and asked him if he could come an pick up his kit.

I purchased my own kit. A new Premier kit made in the UK. I couldn't believe the cost of nice sounding cymbals.The HH, the crash and the ride cost me just as much as the kit.

I think you can learn a instrument at any age. You'll be more focused, and have the stamina and strength.

I'll never be a good drummer, I just don't practice enough. Drums are pretty loud. I also own a Yamaha digital kit, which keeps the peace in the family.

If you can breath you can learn an instrument.

Archived