Too old to start drumming?

Crusher

• Members

Longtime member here, just haven't posted much the last couple years. Started playing guitar around 32 years old, took lessons, played with a few bands here and there. I consider myself an advanced beginner if that makes any sense. Last couple of years I played with my current band as rhythm guitarist, practiced 2x per week and played a couple of gigs and house parties. We play mainly hard rock/metal originals with some blues stuff thrown in.

My interest in guitar is pretty much zero now and as a band we haven't played in at least 8 months or so and doesn't look like we will be playing again together anytime soon.

I'm looking to switch over to drums. I did have a full Tama kit and took about 3 lessons before I moved and took a job promotion. Drums took a backseat once I got all settled in since one of the guys I work with was already a drummer, so we formed a band together. I had also sold my drum kit as part of the "purge" prior to moving to get some much needed cash and have less stuff to lug halfway across the country.

Anyway, I'm 40 years old already. I know for sure I will be taking lessons and I'm looking to buy a new or used kit after the first of the year. This is where you guys come in, what do you think? Take lessons as if I didn't know anything at all, a real true beginner or find a teacher that will get me playing right away since I have very little experience already? Too old to even bother?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too old...what's that mean? Never say too old, there are too many of us uh hum "life experienced" players here to say that. A good teacher is worth his weight in gold (wait...I should be very wealthy by now) Go at it like a noob from the ground up. Learn the right way instead of the fastlane. Take it slow and steady and put in your time...literally, cause time is where it's at! Knowing notes and music and reading will be very much helpful in the long run, but 3 lessons didn't make you a prodigy. I'm not trying to put you down, but you really have a different animal here to contend with in being a drummer, that is unless you been playing with your hands and feet as a guitarist,. I believe in building a good foundation above all, and learning to crawl before walking...

And if you're serious...welcome! I'm Carmine...54 years young and still going at it with a vengeance...

• Members

40? Barely played before? ex-guitar player?

You are already too old. Forget it, stick with the guitar. How do you expect to compete with other drummers that have been playing for 20+ years? Drumming is expensive, no one respects you as a musician, and neighbors complain about the noise. You have to be crazy to want to start up seriously at that age.

but then if you are crazy you would fit right in,,,go for it.

• Members

Yeah, you're ancient. You should just map out a spot on the couch, open up a bag of Cheetos and wait for the Grim Reaper.

Or not.

If your goal is to be a rock star playing stadiums and riding around in a tour bus, it's likely that ship has sailed. If you have more modest goals, go for it. Take a lesson, buy some videos, read some books...there are 1000 ways to become an adequate enough drummer to be "the dad with the really weird hobby" on your block (that's what they call me).

The upside of having less-than-lofty goals is that it takes the urgency away. You don't NEED to woodshed for 80 hours a week if you don't want to. Play as much as you want, and you'll get better over time. If you're a little better tomorrow then you were yesterday, you're doing it right. Once you get to a point where you can play a few songs, go scrape up a guitarist (leave a pack of cigarettes and a 6 pack on your porch as bait, and they'll come right to your door...often carrying pizza). Bassists are harder to find, but they're out there too. Before you know it you'll be enjoying free tap beer out of a dirty glass while playing some Skynard song at 2am in a crappy bar with a half dozen or so people ignoring you! Ain't rock and roll grand?!?!

• Members

Crusher, you'll fit right in with these Geezers - it's never too late man. These drum vets' definitely know their {censored}, and they're a very cool lot. Definitely buy used and, take lessons if you wish. Btw, that looks like a dude from the NES Punch-Out in your avatar, if so bonus man.

• Members

ahhh, your not umm that old. I just turned 41, been playing since I was 8. I still don,t know half the crap that some of these guys know.:poke:....But I play anyway....Would I do it all over again if I had the time and money??? heck ya:thu: I wished when I started I was smart enough to get lessons. (not that its a must) go for it...if it continues to be fun...I don,t see a problem with it at age 100.....or if your still breathin:wave:

• Members

I'd suggest you buy a nice used drum set and take some lessons. You can buy videos and read books and watch youtube videos, but really a teacher will be your best way to learning correctly and quickly. While a video may be able to show you the right way to do something, it can't watch you do it and correct anything you might be doing wrong but don't know about. Makes all the difference in the world.

I have a friend at work that started recently definitely older than 40. he got a teacher and into a rock band type class and is now playing with other musicians regularly.

• Members

I agree with everyone here man. You're just a pup. Hell, I'm 52 and took the drums back up 4 years ago. I've learned a boatload on here from these guys, young and, well, aged. Definitely go used on a kit. There are some killer deals out there right now if you look. People are broke and need cash. Welcome from the dark side my friend. Lookin' forward to having some discussions w/ ya on here.

marko :thu:

• Members

I agree with everyone here man. You're just a pup. Hell, I'm 52 and took the drums back up 4 years ago. I've learned a boatload on here from these guys, young and, well, aged. Definitely go used on a kit. There are some killer deals out there right now if you look. People are broke and need cash. Welcome from the dark side my friend. Lookin' forward to having some discussions w/ ya on here.

marko
:thu:

Yur old

• Members

I'm 41, self taught mostly after a few lessons a year after I started, been playing for over 25 years. No Way are you too old! If you Really want to play drums well. Even if you are not going to be famous. If you are "For sure" you want lessons and "for sure" want to practice and get better. I would go in like a newbie with an open mind and ears and just soak it all in.

In the past ten years, I have taken up Scuba and even though I knew much about it from wanting to do it and snorkling when I was young, I listened to the instructors and learned and got certified, I have also taken the motorcycle safety course and now have a motorcycle endorsement on my license. Also for my job at the jail, I have taken up shooting on different weapons. My point being is that the experts and instructors know what they're talking about for the most part and if you listen to them and follow their direction, you become much better, it becomes easier and you have more fun doing the activity, you get better and then get more and more interested as you advance!!

If you already have the interest and drive to drum, research all around for the best teacher in your area and now that you ARE older, I think a teacher might be more inclinded to work with you more, which motivates you more, makes your playing better and therefor, you're more interested. Although getting burned out on anything happened with everybody from time to time. Like Carmine said "do it well or don't do it at all".

So start as a newbie all over, soak it all in and have FUN, As per the bifocals, I used to make fun of my mom as she would look over or under her glasses to read close up, guess what I'm doing now???? I just got vision insurance and I bet I get fitted for bifocals on my next visit next year! Man, I hope this guy comes back as there has been so many great members comment on this thread!

Archived