your favorite cymbals... ever.

JMR

• Members

i don't know, I'm bored. Post pics/clips of cymbals you really like.

For me, my favorite hi hats of all time have to be these:

[video=youtube;QmCsWlVpnGI]

way better IRL.

with a close second being the non-soundedge 2002s and the 70s Zildjian new beats.

Also, 21" Zildjian Armand. My friend owns one and it is amazing. Crashes really, really well.

[video=youtube;fm65RIwWst0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm65RIwWst0

• Members

This is a tough one. I've had a lot of cymbals over the years, I really loved. An old 40's Zildjian ride I got from Tony, when I studied with him. My late 60's Paiste Formula 602's. My Bosphorus's.

But, over the decades, I'd say that Paiste 2002's have held a special place in my heart, more than most other cymbals.

• Members

No special or particular cymbals. I've always liked New Beats. And especially so now that I have them paired with thin crash tops.

I also like the sound of Quick Beats and KZs ( Mark Craney, Vinnie C. respectively ) but they'd do me too much hearing damage to play.

The Paiste DE hats sound very good. They have that crisp white noisy quality but not harsh like Sound Edges. Very unobtrusive too. I wouldna paid much attention to 'em if Paul Leim hadn't explained their virtues.

The Armand ride is killer; sounds like it has a rivet, crashes like a thin ride, still has the fundamental sustain of a med.

• Members

Paiste Signature Full crashes - best/most musical crashes I've ever heard.

Paiste Twenty hats - the most 'traditional cymbal sound' hats I've found; have that certain Paiste character still, but sound like what I imagine anyone would expect hihats to sound like

• Members

For crashes...my 18" Armand Thin Crash.

Splashes...my 10" AAX Splash (beautiful shimmer).

Rides...I've heard some really good Paiste's, but I love my plain-ole 20" Medium A.

Chinas...I'm one of the pickiest drummers when it comes to chinas...have to go with the XS20 China. I've tried nearly everything else and didn't care much for them...

• Members

I have an 18 IN Sabian Sound Control crash that's ended up with all my sets for many years, even if all the others are Zildjians.

I have one of those. My friend cracked it about a week or so. I want to cry.

The 21" armand is a lot like the sweet ride... but better.

• Members

I'm happy with all the cymbals I've bought (and kept) over the past 5-6 years - all of them have been paiste...in fact, I've only sent back 1 paiste, because it really didn't jive with me for some reason - it was a 20" Alpha Rock Crash. I already had a 17/18/19, and a 22" Rock Ride and 14" Rock Hats...I think it was that the 20" Rock Crash was lower in pitch than my ride...and LOU.D compared to my 17/18/19...

Otherwise, I have no complaints. If I could do things over again, I would have 1) Kept my Alphas, 2) gone with a heavier grade for my signatures...at home I'm on my Saturn kit with Signature-Full's - and I worry about snapping them when it's a band practice.

• Members

This is a tough one. I've had a lot of cymbals over the years, I really loved. An old 40's Zildjian ride I got from Tony, when I studied with him. My late 60's Paiste Formula 602's. My Bosphorus's.

But, over the decades, I'd say that Paiste 2002's have held a special place in my heart, more than most other cymbals.

Wow, a ride from Tony, how cool is that? I would love to hear more about it. It's gotta be a killer.

• Members

Wow, a ride from Tony, how cool is that? I would love to hear more about it. It's gotta be a killer.

It was indeed a "killer". One of the best rides I've ever heard, for "Bop" style playing. Tony had a crate full, (no exaggeration), of cymbals that zildjian would just give him. He let me pick one out. I wanted one that sounded the closest to his. He actually helped with the choice. But, when all is said and done, it was his touch, that made the cymbal sound like it did, more so than the cymbal itself.

Unfortunately, that cymbal along with some of my 602's, were stolen in NYC in the late 70's, during the load out on a Jazz gig. They grabbed the whole cymbal bag, and that ride was in it.

• Members

It was indeed a "killer". One of the best rides I've ever heard, for "Bop" style playing. Tony had a crate full, (no exaggeration), of cymbals that zildjian would just give him. He let me pick one out. I wanted one that sounded the closest to his. He actually helped with the choice. But, when all is said and done, it was his touch, that made the cymbal sound like it did, more so than the cymbal itself.

Unfortunately, that cymbal along with some of my 602's, were stolen in NYC in the late 70's, during the load out on a Jazz gig. They grabbed the whole cymbal bag, and that ride was in it.

Sorry to hear that it got stolen, that just plain sucks man, and on top of that they got your whole cymbal set up. Ouch!!! They got my cymbal case one time and it hurt as it had all my good stuff in it. But I didn't lose a ride that Tony helped me pick out. That must have really hurt. I hear ya about his touch. Twice in my life I've heard something so pure and beautiful that it just blew my mind. One was listening to Tony play a jazz ride pattern...no hi-hat, no bass drum and no snare. Just him..one stick and one cymbal with me standing beside him with my jaw on the floor. I'll never forget it. Thanks for the details on the cymbal.

• Members

I hear ya about his touch. Twice in my life I've heard something so pure and beautiful that it just blew my mind. One was listening to Tony play a jazz ride pattern...no hi-hat, no bass drum and no snare. Just him..one stick and one cymbal with me standing beside him with my jaw on the floor. I'll never forget it.

Tony was one of a kind, man. We're both very fortunate to be among his former students and having had the opportunity to witness, close up, such pure magic on a drum set. I miss him very much.

• Members

I absolutely love my 14" Sabian AAX Stage Hats. When I went looking for new hats, I put together a few of my favorite sounding hi-hats, and then looked into what they were. Three of the four guys were using them. :thu:

Archived