A few things

1001gear

• Members

I not into Avril, I have been an Amy Grant fan since she was a Christian Artist and I had a crush on her back in high school. I like Celine's early stuff (Where Does my heart beat now, If you ask me to, etc) but don't care for her later stuff too much. After Titanic, all her songs sound alike and she has gotten weird the past ten years.

I'm not an Alicia Keys fan, but once I heard this song on the radio at work I had to find and get this song, I love the song, her voice and the drums plus is fun to play!! "If I Ain't Got You" [video=youtube;SVHDwU4Mh1A]

• Members

I want you to answer the question you ignored from the other thread. Tell me some bands/artists that don't live up to these universal standards you seem to think exist?

eh, you just wanna argue. PBS has aired a couple documentaries of the Tchaikovsky competitions in Russia. look 'em up and watch.

• Members

I don't like these artists more than Rush but...

I am curious to know why you like these particular songs...and not so I can disagree with you. There can be so many reason why we like or don't like certain songs.

In Avril's case, I just think she blends in musically with a billion other artists that sound just like this. It's not her fault necessarily....but it seems I've heard that song a hundred times by 16 different bands. To me, it sounds monotonial...nothing about it stands out to me. Of course, the stock response to a song you don't like by a female artist usually goes "well, I'd still bang her.....huh huh"...but to me, there has to be something other than a pretty face. I don't know if she is more than a pretty face. Her fake "edgy-ness" is kind of a turn off as well.

I don't know a lot about Amy Grant. I didn't listen to her mainly because she was associated with christian music. I know she has been around forever and is respected in the biz. The song sounds dated of course, but it was ok. I do like the "spooky-ness" of the groove and her phrasing on this song. I do love the Amy Grant song "Wuthering Heights"...brilliant, one of my favoites. Pat Benater covered it.

Celine Dion's personality is more annoying than that song. It's a good pop song and she leaves out a lot of her vocal gymnastics...which is why I hate Christine Aguilara with a passion. Celine has a hell of a voice, but I'm not a huge fan. I don't like when she chest pounds. lol

Here are two artists I really like: unique, have their own sound and have (GREAT) voices, and are accessible (but are kinda weird and edgey in different ways)

You might have heard Queenryche do a great version of this one:

[video=youtube;0rV1pwLx5AI]

and this brilliant tune:

[video=youtube;yub2tPUhhEw]

• Members

hope you weren't referring to bjork. and i hope that was a joke.

no...i was the one in another thread saying all music is subjective. "Like" is subjective. He was arguing that there is some basic "standard" that music should have to live up too. Which is bull{censored}, because no two people will ever agree on what makes "good" music. Some people love Mozart and some people love The Germs. Does that make Mozart "better" than The Germs?

And as you can see he keeps making lame ass posts skirting around the issue. Why? Because he knows that as soon as he tries to define these mystical "standards" he will be torn to shreds logically.

• Members

Some people love Mozart and some people love The Germs. Does that make Mozart "better" than The Germs?

Mozart was a better composer than anybody in the Germs, and prolly better at being a queen than Pat Smear, too.

Hoever, Darby was a better/bigger 'presence' as a performer.

Who wins?

I dunno, but my money's on the guys who were cool with rolling in broken glass.

I love both.

Archived