Nick Mason's weird hi-hat

Fluke

• Members

Whoa, did anyone watch the Olympics closing.... Nick Mason had a weird hi hat, looked like it had a second fully functional pedal-operated mechanism on top of the regular one. Roger Taylor's kit looked pretty weird too.... then there was The Who drummer's acrylic kit :p

• Members

So there it is... but no clue who made it?

Ah, it's just a pair of mini-hats with a second mounted clamp. I'm pretty sure I've seen Gibraltar and DW offer them, and a net perusal would likely land you a few companies that offer them in varying ways.

• Members

My guess judging by the picture is that the bottom hats don't open, and the top cymbal of the top hats do open, as they have a clutch. The bottom cymbal of the top hats are supported by a modified cymbal stacker thing that is attached to the top cymbal of the bottom hats. The modified cymbal stacker would allow the pull rod to pass through the stacker and open the top hat. Just a guess.

• Members

He had a great interview in Modern Drummer a few months back, and he's very quick to know his position in Pink Floyd's music. Let's face it -- a more busy drummer would have destroyed what they created.

He really got into how they went about creating things -- in the studio, they'd add all kinds of stuff and then just strip away ideas until it felt right. Really ahead of their time with the "studio magic" concept.

Archived