Question About Owning a Kit in an Area of High Heat/Humidity

Chunkaway

• Members

Question - when living in a relatively high heat/humidity locale, such as Florida, or the Far East (thinking Bangkok or Hong Kong), should you avoid owning a wrapped kit, or does it not matter? (Assuming you are not playing in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.)

Thanks

• Members

I think the biggest question/issue/concerns should be related to how often/regularly the drums are going to be (a) directly exposed to the elements (in this case, heat/humidity) in the more extreme cases (i.e., left in 120 degree temps and 80%+ humidity for a whole day (or more)) and/or (b) stored in the same manner (but assuming some sort of cover, etc.).

In either case...like others I suspect heat/humidity would be far less of a concern than extreme cold temps. I've had wrap/glue grow brittle in way low temps to the point that playing the drums caused breaks/cracking...

I think heat/humidity are far less likely to impact things.

• Members

Also from Houston, SE, real hot-wet Houston bayou crap. Again, never had issues with humidity directly, variety of drums and gear took it without issue. HOWEVER, kit left in car in sunlight for 15min bubbled the wrap on a shell once. I just started carrying a cheap white sheet to throw over when transporting, did the job fine, even when temps in the parked car were likely 120deg+

NEVER expose any drum to sunlight when you can avoid it I say. If you play outdoor shows a lot, its totally worth the investment for a cheap EZ Canopy, even an 8x8 will ensure you stay clear of the suns path for a few hours. But beware the winds.

• Members

It's not an issue. I have my Yamaha set in the garage because I have no room in the house for them. I live in Florida and its extremely hot and humid here. I keep a sheet over them with one of those 30 dollar stand up swiveling fans on it at all times and I have had no issues. I recommend the fan at the least though if you're going to be in those temperatures.

• Members

Thanks for everyone's comments. It looks like I could be moving from Portland, OR to someplace much warmer. (Looking at Austin, TX or possibly the Far East.) I just wanted to get some insights in dealing with my kits in the different climates.

• Members

Thanks for everyone's comments. It looks like I could be moving from Portland, OR to someplace much warmer. (Looking at Austin, TX or possibly the Far East.) I just wanted to get some insights in dealing with my kits in the different climates.

Do you believe in AC?

• Members

Do you believe in AC?

F*CK a/c!

Obviously, I believe in a/c. (Seriously, who wants to roast in heat and humidity?) The issue that I'm running across is that some rehearsal spaces I'm finding in the Far East (mostly Bangkok) are not necessarily air conditioned.

• Members

Austin is worlds apart from Houston for climate, in a good way. Youll find Austin is much like the Willamette valley most of the year, plenty of hills and green and comfortable temps. If you can afford it though, it really is the best place to live in TX in my opinion. Second best would be Houston, and third best would be not moving to Texas.

What takes you there from Portland? I did just the opposite.

• Members

Isn't Oregon always rainy and high on humidity??

Just saying.

Well, yes and no. We do have some humidity, but typically it isn't more than 50% (unless it is raining!). In addition, when it isn't raining the humidity levels drop pretty quickly. Plus, we almost never have temps into the 90s, so it is a very temperate climate.

• Members

Austin is worlds apart from Houston for climate, in a good way. Youll find Austin is much like the Willamette valley most of the year, plenty of hills and green and comfortable temps. If you can afford it though, it really is the best place to live in TX in my opinion. Second best would be Houston, and third best would be not moving to Texas.

What takes you there from Portland? I did just the opposite.

We have actually been out to Austin a couple of times and we love it. It is exactly how you described it. However, my wife and I are both elementary school teachers, which makes Texas not a great destination. The pay in Texas for teachers is terrible (especially considering the cost of housing in Austin). In addition, the state's politics are very much against what our educational philosophies are. (No critical thinking is to be taught, for example. WTF!?!?!?)

As for why we are leaving Portland, about six years ago I developed a wicked case of asthma that is affected by temperatures below 50 degrees. In addition, I developed some allergies to "environmental" conditions in Portland. (Translation: I'm allergic to something in the air, but they don't know what it is.) These two factors cause me to get very sick very easily. (I have had pneumonia three times in the last five years.) As an elementary school teacher, I am exposed to a ton of viruses, bacteria, etc... so all of these factors have made it so that I have basically been sick from October until June for the past five years. It sucks!

• Members

We have actually been out to Austin a couple of times and we love it. It is exactly how you described it. However, my wife and I are both elementary school teachers, which makes Texas not a great destination. The pay in Texas for teachers is terrible (especially considering the cost of housing in Austin). In addition, the state's politics are very much against what our educational philosophies are. (No critical thinking is to be taught, for example. WTF!?!?!?)

Pay isnt great, but they also arent laying off teachers at the hilarious rate Oregon seems to. I used to joke with people when I moved here that the Great Recession in Texas meant we were paying an extra 20 cents on our gas. The economy really didnt take the hit, and the biggest thing was how little food and other goods increased in price there. What I wouldnt give for HEB and Kroger stores' prices out here.

As for no Critical Thinking, I dont really know what you are talking about as Im no teacher. I have heard a lot of hear-say bumpkis about backwards Texas and their education, but I never saw any of it. Of course, Austin and Houston are very different from a majority of the other cities in Texas, and far more liberal. Austin really is a lot like Portland in that way. Cultural and political mix is good.

I have a friend who is a teacher in Austin, and she seems pretty happy with how progressive her school is. Each district can vary quite a bit. Make sure you talk to other educators who you find reliable before choosing yay or nay for any specific district.

• Members

I have relatives that live on Maui (and they are connected to the state department of education!), so we REALLY looked at moving to Hawaii. The pay is unbelievably low - my pay would drop by over 40%! The cost of living is so high and the pay so low, that I don't think we could really afford to live there. I love Hawaii though.

• Members

Pay isnt great, but they also arent laying off teachers at the hilarious rate Oregon seems to. I used to joke with people when I moved here that the Great Recession in Texas meant we were paying an extra 20 cents on our gas. The economy really didnt take the hit, and the biggest thing was how little food and other goods increased in price there. What I wouldnt give for HEB and Kroger stores' prices out here.

As for no Critical Thinking, I dont really know what you are talking about as Im no teacher. I have heard a lot of hear-say bumpkis about backwards Texas and their education, but I never saw any of it. Of course, Austin and Houston are very different from a majority of the other cities in Texas, and far more liberal. Austin really is a lot like Portland in that way. Cultural and political mix is good.

I have a friend who is a teacher in Austin, and she seems pretty happy with how progressive her school is. Each district can vary quite a bit. Make sure you talk to other educators who you find reliable before choosing yay or nay for any specific district.

Very good points. My pay would drop by about 30% from what I make in Portland, if we moved to Austin. Additionally, my retirement would drop by about 40%. That's tough to take.

The state department of education is basically run by an elected committee that is very heavily slanted toward tea bag conservatives. (To give but one example, they passed a resolution basically banning teachers from teaching kids about ANY minority groups and their struggles in the U.S.) The list of their resolutions was probably the most shocking/disturbing thing I have seen in 23 years of teaching. (There is no hyperbole in that statement.) Texans may love that kind of thing, but I don't want to teach in that atmosphere, and I certainly don't want my daughter to be educated in that kind of mindset.

• Members

Very good points. My pay would drop by about 30% from what I make in Portland, if we moved to Austin. Additionally, my retirement would drop by about 40%. That's tough to take.

The state department of education is basically run by an elected committee that is very heavily slanted toward tea bag conservatives. (To give but one example, they passed a resolution basically banning teachers from teaching kids about ANY minority groups and their struggles in the U.S.) The list of their resolutions was probably the most shocking/disturbing thing I have seen in 23 years of teaching. (There is no hyperbole on that statement.) Texans may love that kind of thing, but I don't want to teach in that atmosphere, and I certainly don't want my daughter to be educated in that kind of mindset.

Keep in mind any drop in pay is softened, if only a little, by cheaper food and energy costs. In most cases much cheaper housing costs too, most of Austin is cheaper than most of Portland from what I remember. Also, there is no income tax for the state, which is a big deal. When I first moved here, I was making 12.50, and had less discretionary income than my 10.75hr job in Houston.

Another good thing to remember is never refer to Texans as the backwards tea bagger groups, or vice versa. Texans are bigger than life, but we are as diverse as anyone could ever hope. I dont refer to Oregonians as burnt out ex-Californian hipster douchebags, though I think thats the general image outsiders get of this state, especially from Eugene to Portland. But you wanna see real tea-bag rednecks? Go to Eastern Oregon! :p

I hope you guys are able to find a good working situation there, if money were no object Id move to Seattle, but Austin would be a close second! And just you wait for SXSW, so much music, even if 99% of it is crap, that leaves like 100 good bands!

• Members

Another good thing to remember is never refer to Texans as the backwards tea bagger groups, or vice versa. Texans are bigger than life, but we are as diverse as anyone could ever hope. I dont refer to Oregonians as burnt out ex-Californian hipster douchebags, though I think thats the general image outsiders get of this state, especially from Eugene to Portland. But you wanna see real tea-bag rednecks? Go to Eastern Oregon!
:p

Everything is bigger in Texas, including the stereo types. I lived in Dallas my whole life until I moved to Seattle in 2004. The stereo types I see tossed around here and with my wife's family from NY about Texas are ridiculous compared to life as I knew it in Dallas. Sure you got backwards rednecks in Texas as you do in Oregon or Washington or New Jersey or New York, but there are also a lot of fine people there as well.

• Members

Everything is bigger in Texas, including the stereo types. I lived in Dallas my whole life until I moved to Seattle in 2004. The stereo types I see tossed around here and with my wife's family from NY about Texas are ridiculous compared to life as I knew it in Dallas. Sure you got backwards rednecks in Texas as you do in Oregon or Washington or New Jersey or New York, but there are also a lot of fine people there as well.

My apologies if I was coming across as presenting a stereotype about Texas, that was not my intention. The article that I read (can't find it right now) specifically said, "Tea Party supported candidates..." so I was simply referring to the information I garnered from the article. In this case, this committee establishes curriculum guidelines, educational goals, materials used, etc... for the entire state's educational system. Unfortunately, that means that even people (kids and teachers) in Austin would be affected by their choices.

I have met a ton of great Texans, most of whom were among the friendliest people I have ever met. (Seriously!) As a U.S. citizen I believe that states should have the ability to dictate how to address the needs of their specific population. In this case I happen to strongly disagree with the choices made by the Texas Board of Education. With that, it would take a helluva LOT for us to move there, which is disappointing because the city of Austin is fantastic, the music is tremendous, and many of the people there are wonderful.

Archived