Well...the first one of my high school friends got married

leepmeister

• Members

It's kinda weird...until now all I've really thought about during college is classes and my band and video games...hence I still feel like a kid.

So here one of my best female friends from high school is the first one to get married...

It was neat, first wedding I've ever been to...

But now I see this "growing up" thing coming over the horizon... :eek:

At least I met a pretty hot girl, the room mate of one of the bridesmaids. We danced a bit, and I may follow up on this one :cool:

• Members

Don't worry, it loses its shock value after awhile. I'm 25 and a bunch of the kids I graduated with are married and some of them have kids. My cousin who is my age already has two.

Of course the baby thing didn't shock me, 'cause one of my close friends got pregnant by another close friend when she was 16. The ended up getting married when he was 18 and she was 17... now they have three children.

• Members

Relax fellas, you need stretch out and breathe the free air while you can. All in good time. Most of my friends from high school are now either dead, or divorced and remarried with young kids.

Retirement is the next great adventure for me. You guys should all slow down and appreciate what you've got right in front of you before it skates off, never to be seen or heard from again.

• Members

It's all good. I only have 1 ex-gf that isn't married. Every other one got married or engaged in less that 4 months of us breaking up. Talk about weird...

Enjoy your life while you can. You have forever to get married and be "responsible" and do that whole "job" thing. :p

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

Enjoy your life while you can. You have forever to get married...

Damn right, RSB and Bluesman.

It boggles my mind that so many people these days are so quick to want to get married and settle down right out of high school or college. Freedom of choice, yes, but it doesn't make it any less surprising...

• Members

One of my friends got married before our senior year of high school even started.

One friend has a ring for his girlfriend but I haven't talked to him in months and I don't really miss him. I don't know whats going on.

Me? I'm 19 with my first girlfriend. I'm not ready for any kind of commitment like marriage yet, though. I sure hope she isn't either!

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesman0511

Relax fellas, you need stretch out and breathe the free air while you can. All in good time. Most of my friends from high school are now either dead, or divorced and remarried with young kids.

Retirement is the next great adventure for me. You guys should all slow down and appreciate what you've got right in front of you before it skates off, never to be seen or heard from again.

+1!!!:)

• Members

I'm just wondering, but is this more of a regional thing? I know friends who have parents who like didn't get married until they were after 30 and stuff. I think that's a little late, especially to start a family, but for those of y'all who ARE married, how/when did y'all start? I used to want to get married a few years ago, but then just realized I was in no way ready for it, so we broke up and she got married the exact same date our wedding was set for... just another groom... ;)

Anyhow, I'd like to maybe get there between 25-27. Have a few years left, so we shall see.

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

I'm just wondering, but is this more of a regional thing? I know friends who have parents who like didn't get married until they were after 30 and stuff. I think that's a little late, especially to start a family, but for those of y'all who ARE married, how/when did y'all start? I used to want to get married a few years ago, but then just realized I was in no way ready for it, so we broke up and she got married the exact same date our wedding was set for... just another groom...
;)

Anyhow, I'd like to maybe get there between 25-27. Have a few years left, so we shall see.

I was 26, my wife 23 when we got married. Didn't have kids until I was 35. I think the age and maturity level for the big step into parenthood is more important than when you are married. And the MOST important thing is WHO you marry, not when.

If you have any hassles at all getting along on a day to day basis you need to keep looking. Even little hassles and aggravations indicate basic incompatibility that will eventually drive a wedge in your relationship. The real proof of compatibility is in the little {censored}.

• Members

If you have any hassles at all getting along on a day to day basis you need to keep looking. Even little hassles and aggravations indicate basic incompatibility that will eventually drive a wedge in your relationship. The real proof of compatibility is in the little {censored}.

Excellent advice Bluesman!

I got married at 25, my wife was 21. We've been married 14 years and couldn't be happier. We chose not to have kids and we still don't really feel "all grown up" in the same way our friends with kids do.

• Members

Originally posted by StevieMac

I got married at 25, my wife was 21. We've been married 14 years and couldn't be happier. We chose not to have kids and we still don't really feel "all grown up" in the same way our friends with kids do.

You know, too many of us (myself included) regard marriage and kids to be one and the same thing. My view on this topic has come around 180 degrees. The decision whether or not to have kids should be separate from whether or not to marry and should be done on the same grounds, i.e. whether or not it is a compatible life style for you and your spouse.

I have had more than one opportunity to wonder whether my wife and I made the right choice as far having kids. It is a decision that will definitely change your life more dramatically than almost anything else short of the death of a loved one. It merits a lot of serious, sober thinking.

• Members

It merits a lot of serious, sober thinking.

SOBER THINKING!!!! That's what I did wrong when i asked her to marry me!

JK, I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary. we got married when we were 29. I didn't think I was ready until about 2 years ago. So it's really a matter of your own maturity and who.

A lot of my friends in FLA, aren't married. Up here, though, it's a bit different. People tend to get married younger in the upper midwest. It's amazing how many 20-somethings are married in Minneapolis.

Don't freak out. Your 20s are for being a complete screw up. Take your classes and get really drunk and puke your guts out and do it again. Go crazy, be stupid and don't die. Eventually you learn what's fun and what isn't.

I know I would feel really cheated if I got married when I was 23. I would also be cheating my wife, because I'm a much better person now then I was then.

• Members

I've ben out of high school for 10 years now. And right around 95% of the kids who got married and had kids right out of high school are divorced now.

People (especially woman) feel as if when they hit acertain age they must get married. Then by another age they have to have kids. I just don't get that mentality at all. But maybe that's why I'm a single 27 year old who plays in a band, drinks to much and can't get enough of video games.

• Members

Originally posted by fureybass

Go crazy, be stupid and don't die. Eventually you learn what's fun and what isn't.

Right on, man!! Far out (as we used to say)!!

If you don't mind I will borrow this little gem for my signature. Seems to me like it should be a universal anthem for America, ragardless of age.

• Members

Originally posted by StevieMac

+1. This thread rocks!

• CMS Author

Originally posted by leepmeister

It's kinda weird...until now all I've really thought about during college is classes and my band and video games...hence I still feel like a kid.

So here one of my best female friends from high school is the first one to get married...

It was neat, first wedding I've ever been to...

But now I see this "growing up" thing coming over the horizon...
:eek:

At least I met a pretty hot girl, the room mate of one of the bridesmaids. We danced a bit, and I may follow up on this one
:cool:

If you're in college, the growing up thing should be more than just a spot on your horizon.:rolleyes:

If you didn't bang the bridesmaid's roommate that day, the magic is gone. Since you're new to this, that's the big perk of going to weddings (OTHER people's).....it's probably the easiest social function to get laid at.

Archived