Bass FRIENDLY guitarists

conk97

• Members

Does anyone else play with a guitarist who has a bass friendly tone?

My guitarist takes ALL his bass out and boosts his treble and i Boost my bass 2 10. It gives a really good combo as u can easily hear the bass

• Members

Yes, my brother. We both feel that guitarists shouldn't be infringing on the bass frequencies. We also believe that basses have no buisness boosting treble. Keeping the highs in the guitar and the lows in the bass makes everything hearable and natural sounding.

• Members

I have no problem with the guitarists in my band infringing on MY bandwidth...

But man, they can't seem to figure out how to not clash with each other.

One guy has a great sound with a PodXT, and I wouldn't want him to change it. The other guy doesn't really have a set rig, but he doesn't take the time to fine tune his sound either, so it's just messy.

• Members

Originally posted by conk97

Does anyone else play with a guitarist who has a bass friendly tone?

My guitarist takes ALL his bass out and boosts his treble and i Boost my bass 2 10. It gives a really good combo as u can easily hear the bass

I can imagine

*VRUMBLE VRUMBLE VRUMBLE*

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

Yes, my brother. We both feel that guitarists shouldn't be infringing on the bass frequencies. We also believe that basses have no buisness boosting treble. Keeping the highs in the guitar and the lows in the bass makes everything hearable and natural sounding.

I wish I could one day experience the wonder of working with a guitarist that respects the fact that there are other instruments in a band besides the guitar. :rolleyes::(

• Members

Originally posted by Tlaloc

I wish I could one day experience the wonder of working with a guitarist that respects the fact that there are other instruments in a band besides the guitar.
:rolleyes::(

My guitarist has no idea about sharing musical space. I think it stems from him setting up a great sound at home when he plays by himself and "carrying" it into a band situation. Kinda like the smilie face EQ bass setting that often bites bassists in a band situation.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

My guitarist has no idea about sharing musical space. I think it stems from him setting up a great sound at home when he plays by himself and "carrying" it into a band situation. Kinda like the smilie face EQ bass setting that often bites bassists in a band situation.

Or rather he is the one poor, unlucky guitarist forced to play with the King himself, trying with everything he can to produce a decent band sound to the poor crowd. This man has the sympathy of all musicians everywhere, for the incredibly difficult, and dangerous, job of mixing tones with Lug...

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

Or rather he is the one poor, unlucky guitarist forced to play with the King himself, trying with everything he can to produce a decent band sound to the poor crowd. This man has the sympathy of all musicians everywhere, for the incredibly difficult, and dangerous, job of mixing tones with Lug...

He plays thru twin Marshall Full Stacks. That's right, SIXTEEN 12" speakers and 2 Marshall Lead heads.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

He plays thru twin Marshall Full Stacks. That's right,
SIXTEEN
12" speakers and 2 Marshall Lead heads.

There is no bigger red flag of cluelessness than this. I refuse to play with guitar players who use a stack in a club.

• Members

Has heard plenty of dark heavy guitar tones that work well with the bass players voice in the mix. Its all a matter of the little tweaks the bass or guitar player makes to their tone. Most of my custom voice presets on my processor are just small variations of a few basic voices. To allow easy adaption to whats needed in the mix for bass to either stand out more, or blend in better for solid kick & drive. And I dont use mid boosting as the way to do that. Mainly little adjustments to the compressor, overdrive and the upper treble or lower bass. I firmly believe in each musician useing their desired tone tweaked to better fit the mix desired.

But there lies a good part of the common problem. Musicians shaping their fave tone solo. Rather then shaping their fave tones in the mix. A simple tool like a drum machine can provide a level of "in the mix" sound to use as a backdrop while you dial in the sound that works great for you. Alternately you can play a music cd thru your rig while you tweak your tone for it. This help avoid frustration by the guitarists, bassists, & keyboardist. Who end up finding their made while soloing sound, just doesnt do it when played along with other instruments. Which then results in temper tantrums & over cranking their volume to try and compensate for their unsuitable sound. Or they stop playing in the groove cause they just cant hit it with their sound mind. And the bass player stops charming the guitarist into grooving better with his voice. Cause bass sounds like flabby old butt that he wants to run away from. So he starts playing off key, out of tempo, and way to loud to try and drown out the not desireable nastysounding other instrument.

Sometimes the bass player needs to tweak his sound to work better with the guitarists. Untill you can get him humping his guitar cause you've charmed him with your sound into danceing the music more. When you've done that. He'll be more open to little mods to his sound. So he'll feel more like humping & thrashing it out to your playing.

Is everyone trying to copy the original players tone? Cause they're in a cover band? Well geauss what. Those as originally done voices for bass & guitar by the band your trying to copy. May have been tones that lit up those oiginal players. That doesnt make those tones right for other players. Doing a cover song with diff voices for bass & guitar, & even keyboard. Can often let the cover band rock out those songs better. Cause the cover band musicians are now useing voices that work better for them in the mix. The best covers of other bands songs that I've heard. Have been by bands that do their own originals. And who do a cover of another bands song without sacrificing their own bands sound while doing it. This applies for even pop music cover bands. Look how many covers of other peeps stuff Rod Stewart has done. He doesnt comprimise his bands sound in doing covers. Does the audiance mind? Nope.

• Members

This is one of the reasons im searching for a band now, my old band, a power metal one... The guitarist was stuck on solo's and couldnt handle my rumble, so my volume was always way lower. Almost all the guitarist i know are self centered egotisical bastards who bitch to the other saying "But my amp is smaller than his, how come i cant have his amp?" Im just weiting to meet a guitarist like Adam Jones who will let me truly stretch my fingers.

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

There is no bigger red flag of cluelessness than this. I refuse to play with guitar players who use a stack in a club.

You know, you're absolutely right but if you posted this in a guitar-oriented forum you'd have guys jumping down your throat. Don't you realize they have to use such amps so they can get THE TONE???

• Members

Originally posted by J.

You know, you're absolutely right but if you posted this in a guitar-oriented forum you'd have guys jumping down your throat. Don't you realize they
have
to use such amps so they can get THE TONE???

You know, it's funny, my guitarist is actually satisfied with his tone right now, and he's only using a 30W Roland Cube amp. However, when we actually get our {censored} together, he has admitted that he will get a bigger amp, but he just doesn't really crank it. Well, he does, but my Ampeg can counter his loudness well. It could help that he doesn't really play metal or anything that is really excessive.

Archived