Divorce, depression, confusion

vanlatte

• Members
Originally posted by Weirdocat

...And finally Bluesman, you can {censored} off
:)
And no, I didn't learn that in psych 101.

The degree of tolerance and empathy you have shown demonstrates unequivocally what sort of Mental Health professional you will make.

I suppose they need people who like to administer shock treatments, don't they!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Bluesman0511

The degree of tolerance and empathy you have shown demonstrates unequivocally what sort of Mental Health professional you will make.

I suppose they need people who like to administer shock treatments, don't they!!!

I am not studying to be a psychiatrist or counsellor, and have no intention of doing so in the future. My attitude (unfortunately) has no bearing on the amount of information I posess on the subject :)

And oddly enough, shock treatments are one of the most effective ways to treat mood and personality disorders. I'm all for it. :D

• CMS Author

I am not studying to be a psychiatrist or counsellor, and have no intention of doing so in the future.

So what do you want to be when you grow up? And before you get more 'tude that's not a knock, since few of us ever know what we want to be.

• Members
Originally posted by Craigv

So what do you want to be when you grow up? And before you get more 'tude that's not a knock, since few of us ever know what we want to be.

I'm never going to grow up :) I plan to be like Peter Pan.

On a more serious note, I studied psychology because it interests me greatly. However, I plan to further my musical endeavours... and see where it takes me.

• CMS Author

I'm never going to grow up
:)
I plan to be like Peter Pan.

On a more serious note, I studied psychology because it interests me greatly. However, I plan to further my musical endeavours... and see where it takes me.

That sounds like a plan. Definitely more plan than I had in college.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Well, it took a few years, but I always knew you'd come around.

*rubs hands* They all do....

Well, I don't care what the professionals call it, I call it a disease. A disorder sounds like something you could have some control of on your own, like an eating disorder or an addiction disorder. Mental health issues are much more complicated than that, and they can be all-comsuming, so to me that spell disease.

• CMS Author
Originally posted by Bonoman

Well, I don't care what the professionals call it, I call it a disease. A disorder sounds like something you could have some control of on your own, like an eating disorder or an addiction disorder. Mental health issues are much more complicated than that, and they can be all-comsuming, so to me that spell disease.

Perhaps it can all be rolled into one PC term:

"disillease"

I know, I know. It's a gift I have.:D

• Members

Originally posted by s4001
It does sound like you have depression. I'm not a doctor, but unfortunately I've got WAY too much personal experience in this area.

Some anecdotal advice:

It's a good thing you're coming to grips with it now. It's also a good thing that it seems your wife will stick with you. If that's the case that's worth its weight in gold.

The soonest you get help the better. Psychiatrists are basically druggists, for counseling you will need counselors or therapists. Actually you will need both. Try counseling first and only if the counselor feels medication is appropriate, a psychiatrist. If a counselor or psychiatrist doesn't feel right, fire them IMMEDIATELY and find another one. You may need to go thru several of them. There are people out there who can help you, but more who cannot. It's about personality, not technical ability.

You may be prescribed some antidepressants. Bottom line is, everyone responds differently to them. There are some that can help, but it's going to be somewhat trial and error. Don't let a psychiatrist keep you on something if it is obviously not working. But keep in mind that there is help out there.

You've got work ahead and even though it may sound impossible now, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist either, but I have my own story to tell. I think it's important that people realize that mental illnesses are every bit as legitimate as other illnesses. Bi-polar disorder is just as real as cancer, things like that. Despite how far we've come, there are still people out there who live in the dark ages when it comes to mental health and think that things like clinical depression are just "made up BS." I'm sure everyone with mental health issues has encountered folks of this type. It's sad.

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as well as chronic depression. A lot of people who have a major mental disorder also have clinical depression as a nice little 'bonus' (not saying clinical depression isn't major on its own). My disorder leans towards the Obsessive side, which is rarer than the Compulsive behavior slanted form of the disorder. I engage in ritualistic behavior, but never to the extent that it impeded my general social functioning. My obsessions and rhumenations (sp?) are definitely in the pathological however. Without medication I can be rendered non-functional because of them. When my obsessions take control I often experience psychotic symptoms as well.

I just wanted to echo s4001's comments. A lot of psychiatrists are drug peddlers. My old psychiatrist would've prescribed me anything I wanted - not kidding. I had to go through A TON of drugs before I found what worked for me. Some medications actually made it worse.

All counselors are not created equal. I've had a couple that were wonderful, and a couple that I absolutely hated. When you get counseling, don't settle for anything. If one rubs you the wrong way, find another.

...and be open to medication. As has been said before, getting the right medication coupled with therapy can literally be a life (and marriage) saver.

• Members

One other thing to point out about medicine is that you may not need to stay on it forever. Those same pusher psychiatrists are also happy to just leave you on. If you switch from one to another, many seem to just accept what's already there and just continue things as-is. Not always the best thing.

Archived