Married guys - I have a question

BEAD

• Members

A girl in one of my classes at university is dropping because of schedule conflicts, but she wanted my number so we could keep in contact. I guess she just recognizes my brilliance? She knows I'm married. I don't know her that well, as the class has only met two or three times, but she seems cool.

How would your wife react to this info?

My wife gets pretty worried about this stuff sometimes, although it seems like she's gotten much better.

I'm always looking for better ways to relay info like this to my wife. Any suggestions?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's not the way your wife reacts but the way you do that counts.

It's up to you to keep her confidence.

Telling her about it is a very good way.

If you just leave the paper in your wallet, forget about it and she calls in a few weeks, there you may have a problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I think it's not the way your wife reacts but the way you do that counts.

It's up to you to keep her confidence.

Telling her about it is a very good way.

If you just leave the paper in your wallet, forget about it and she calls in a few weeks, there you may have a problem.

I fully intend on telling her tonight. I think I'm going to pretend that she never has security issues and just be like "I made a new friend today" or something.

• Members

Hmmmmm.

It's a tough one.

My wife, even in all her intelligence and coolness has some doubts if I have coffee or lunch with a chick at work.

She deals with it in half jest and all.

My advise to you is, if you ever feel you have to keep a meeting with someone a secret from your wife (even if it is all innocent) then do not do it.

Also try reversing the tables. How would you fell if a guy was "just friends" with your woman?

May clarify things a bit.

• Members

I'm not sure if this is relavent, but since two people have gotten this bit wrong...

I gave her my number, at her request. I don't have hers. I didn't even ask. I don't call people.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

A girl in one of my classes at university is dropping because of schedule conflicts, but she wanted my number so we could keep in contact. I guess she just recognizes my brilliance? She knows I'm married. I don't know her that well, as the class has only met two or three times, but she seems cool.

How would your wife react to this info?

My wife gets pretty worried about this stuff sometimes, although it seems like she's gotten much better.

I'm always looking for better ways to relay info like this to my wife. Any suggestions?

Are you nuts? You never give a woman any extra ammunition...especially wives! Take my advice. Do not give this chick your number and do not ever mention this little incident to your wife. Women tend to take a little thing like this and beat you over the head with it for the rest of your life.

• Members

Originally posted by shelbass

Hmmmmm.

It's a tough one.

My wife, even in all her intelligence and coolness has some doubts if I have coffee or lunch with a chick at work.

She deals with it in half jest and all.

My advise to you is, if you ever feel you have to keep a meeting with someone a secret from your wife (even if it is all innocent) then do not do it.

Also try reversing the tables. How would you fell if a guy was "just friends" with your woman?

May clarify things a bit.

I'd be super cool with it. My wife's best friend is male, actually. I trust her, and if she ever betrays that trust we'll both be in a world of {censored}. We both know that.

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

Are you nuts? You never give a woman any extra ammunition...especially wives! Take my advice.
Do not
give this chick your number and
do not
ever mention this little incident to your wife. Women tend to take a little thing like this and beat you over the head with it for the rest of your life.

:D

• Members

If I were to be in the same situation as you, and I confided to my wife that a fellow ( female ) student wanted to keep in touch- I would be singing castrato pronto!!

Women are so friggin' jealous. I have a job where I am on-call basically 24 hours a day. Some of my colleagues are women and some of them work on shifts. Occasionally, I will get a late night call from a female colleague for business advice, or if the factory is really AFU, they will ask that I come to the plant to help ' fight the fires". When my lovely bride answers the phone when one of the ladies calls she will hand me the phone and say " It's ( jill/donna/mary/whomever)- but the look on her face says it all. With venom dripping from her fangs she is just about saying" One of your whores wants you to come and DO HER !"

Please kill me !!

• Members

:D

Heh, I'm serious man. Women are basically insecure, self conscient, unhappy people. On top of that, they crave emotional stimulation to the point where they will create emotional stimulation for themselves where none exists. Mix all that together and you get something extremely volitile that can blow up in your face at any moment.

Thirty or forty years from now you and the wife will get into an argument about something and she'll hit you with...well you gave that girl your number! {censored}, you won't even remember it, but not only will she remember, she'll remember the date, the time and what she was wearing when she found out. ;)

• Members

Heh, I'm serious man. Women are basically insecure, self conscient, unhappy people. On top of that, they crave emotional stimulation to the point where they will create emotional stimulation for themselves where none exists. Mix all that together and you get something extremely volitile that can blow up in your face at any moment.

This is unfortunately true, to some degree. My wife gets a little bent about this; I have several friends from college who are girls, and I like to keep in touch with them, even ones I haven't seen for 10, 12, 15 years.

It's an issue just about every Christmas, when we're sending out cards and stuff. I try explaining that these are my friends, they helped shape who I am, and I'm interested in knowing how they are. But then I feel like I have to justify my position when I shouldn't have to, and then everyone's a little pissy. It's a f**cked-up double standard.

• Members

Thirty or forty years from now you and the wife will get into an argument about something and she'll hit you with...well you gave that girl your number! {censored}, you won't even remember it, but not only will she remember, she'll remember the date, the time and what she was wearing when she found out.
;)

This is pretty accurate Chunk...women tend to remember everything like this involving "their man". I wouldn't have given her my number.

• CMS Author

Been married 22 years. I can tell you that your wife will have a problem, whether or not she says or does anything about it. But that should not stop you. If it's just a friendship, say so and leave it at that. Invite them both to lunch or dinner ir something. If your wife still has a problem, it does indeed need some work....on her part.

• Members

Wow, some major generalizations goin on in here... all women are emotionally wrecked, overly jealous, manic depressive, vaults of knowledge for everything negative???

Sorry, I beg to differ. Looked in the mirror lately?

• Members

Forget about it. Chances are she won't call. If she does, she knows your married and if your wife answers the phone, they can work it out. If you gave her a cell # and she calls you, talk. If your wife listens to your side of the conversation, be friendly. If she comes on over the phone, hang up. I've been married for 17 years. My wife has found phone numbers in my pockets. No big deal. I don't give my cell number to anyone except VIPs. A girl friend ain't a VIP.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by THX1138

Wow, some major generalizations goin on in here... all women are emotionally wrecked, overly jealous, manic depressive, vaults of knowledge for everything negative???

Sorry, I beg to differ. Looked in the mirror lately?

How long have you been married?

• Members

I don't know her that well, as the class has only met two or three times, but she seems cool.

Right here makes me ask why would you give her your number? It would be different if you were long time friends or something. Theres a lot of cool girls out there but none of them have my number to call me up

Friends of the opposite sex is a tricky matter. Weird things happen. They just do.

Archived