OT: what's your heritage?

bikehorn

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by burdizzos

Heritage is BS.

It doesn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that counts.

You can cling to your heritage as something that defines who you are, but that's crap. Your genes only define you if you let them.

+1
and you are where your feet are
heritage can influence your character in both directions
up and down....
so your point is valid...we all can be better...or worse
its up to us.. and our genes arent going to hold us back either...or promote us
its personal effectiveness which counts in the world
true and deep relationships and a regard for other peoples welfare....
you got to get jesus man!...:)

dosotevsky said..."it takes more than intelligence to act intelligently"

search inside:cool:

• Members

Heritage is BS.

You can cling to your heritage as something that defines who you are, but that's crap. Your genes only define you if you let them.

The apple don't fall too far away from the tree.;)

• Members

I am Hispanic from New Mexico, which means I am of Spanish, Mexican, Native American ancestry. I trace my family back to the first colonists of New Mexico of 1598. I play traditional New Mexcian music with my family, playing guitar and singing in Spanish. I also LOVE rock n roll music, play bass with bands and friends whenever I can!! VIVA ROCK!!!!

• Members

Heritage is BS.

I agree with you, to an extent. I still think it's interesting to trace one's roots. It bothers me when people get all gung ho about it. There's always some sort of history in your geneaology (sp?) and that's what i enjoy... mmm history channel.

On me ma's side, I'm English and Dutch. My father is Cantonese (region of China) with a touch of Vietnamese.

• Members

I am a true Heinz 57. These are what I've heard from different relatives:
Scottish
Irish
English
German
Italian
Native American (not sure what tribe, but from Southern Cali area)
French
Maori (aboriginal New Zealander)
Scandinavian

I've alway wished that I knew more about my ancestors and had a heritage I could pass on to my children.

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

On the one hand though, I agree with burdizzos, genes don't control us, we shouldn't feel limited or blessed by them, but I still think it's nice to know where you came from.

Exactly. That's why I'm into it. Knowing one's roots, where you came from, the very particular history of it all. But, it has nothing to do with where you're going. I like knowing the background though, the context, it lets you know you're more than just a random, roots-less person wandering around this planet.

• Members

Originally posted by Spark

+1.

I'm first-generation American and could not give a flying {censored} about my Greek heritage (although I dig the food--the Greeks got some of their recipes right, I'll be the first to admit!).

There's a Greek place in Cleveland thta sell the goat cheese. They have it in a big barrel and break you off a piece. Wow is that good.

I'm Czech. My Great, great uncle was Antonin Sova the poet and writer. That all I know of my heritage on my father's side. The Czech's invented the Octoberfest so you can imagine the beer drinking heritage. My Czech grandfather wasa baker and made homemade cinnamin raisin bread.

My mother is 100% Hungarian. I grew up eating stuffed cabbage and all that good European stuff. Also, she made some great poppyseed rolls and struedle from scratch.

That's the only thing to cling to your heritage about in my opinion. The food and stuff like that.

• Members

I asked an Irish guy who was visiting Baltimore about my family. I told him we were Kearney when Great grandad got off the boat. I asked what part of Ireland Kearneys might have been from. He replied with a smile that Kearneys are about 1/3 of Irelands population. Since he had some humor about it I bought him a long island iced tea. Someone else I spoke with via the 'net said I'd do well to check around Kerry or Cork. They told me Kearneys were south coast people before they proliferated.

Archived