OT: what's your heritage?

bikehorn

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Heritage is BS.

It doesn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that counts.

You can cling to your heritage as something that defines who you are, but that's crap. Your genes only define you if you let them.

• Members

Originally posted by mxpxfan

English, Scotish, Czech and Austrian.

I'm a American and don't have a drop of native American blood in me.

Euro mutt
:D

I've got some Czech and other shtuff on one side and Nanticoke Indian on the other.

Amerimutt. :D

• Members

Me, I'm Scottish and Irish (1/4 each, on my mother's side), and "100% USA Southern" on my father's. I figure that half is mostly scots/irish, too, with a bit of dutch and german, maybe even english. Can't really tell, though, since my father's family has been down south there since before the Revolution. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

My family's of Irish and Navajo descent.

I knew a girl in college that was 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Cherokee, quite a stunning combination! (And she pretty much kicked ass for her belt level in the Tae Kwon Do club, too, even with the guys.) :D

(Not that Navaho and Cherokee are all that related, just reminded me)

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

Heritage is BS.

It doesn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that counts.

You can cling to your heritage as something that defines who you are, but that's crap. Your genes only define you if you let them.

+1.

I'm first-generation American and could not give a flying {censored} about my Greek heritage (although I dig the food--the Greeks got some of their recipes right, I'll be the first to admit!).

• Members

American Cur here

English, German, Dutch, American Indian

I traced my original family all the way back to England somewhere during the 1700's. One of my cousins actually went over there doing research. Pretty cool.

The man Daniel Pegg sold land or something to William Penn which is now part of Philidelphia.

• Members

3/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Silesian Polish. My mom's side is of entirely Norwegian descent, my paternal grandpa is of Norwegian descent, and my paternal grandma is where the Polish comes in.

According to five family genealogies I own, my roots on my mom's side are traceable (based on available records) back to the mid-to-late 1700s. My dad's side, I don't know. Based on what I know of Polish immigration from Silesia that populated a good part of my home county, those roots could easily go back to 984 (and beyond), when the Polish nation came into being. Earliest Norwegian ancestors, Sven and Birgit Syverson, came to America in 1857, the Polish ones came in 1870, and the rest in the 1860s (and a great-great grandpa around 1880). My family's presence in my home county dates to 1861.

Big genealogy buff here...

Archived