OT: what's your heritage?

bikehorn

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mom was born in Koenigsburg, Germany (now Kaliningrad, Russia)

Dad was born in a one-horse town in the Caucasus Mountains near the Terek River.

I think heritage counts to an extent. It's nice to know where you came from.

• Members

My mom can trace her family back to the early 1700s here, and my dad back to the late 1800s. When asked, I say my heritage is American rather than some mish-mash of European countries :)

In my book, that's long enough for this to be my heritage. Everyone's family came from somewhere else if you go back far enough, so that's really the governing factor of what your heritage is I suppose.

• Members

Like most white Americans, I'm a mixture of things.

1/4 Swedish

1/4 Swiss

1/4 Bohemian

1/4 German, Irish, English, and some other stuff

The United States really is a land of immigrants. Three out of my four sets of great-grandparents didn't speak English as their native language.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

Heritage is BS. It doesn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that counts.

I couldn't disagree more!!!:mad:

If you CAME FROM Ireland, you better not be GOING TO Costa Rica without sunscreen SPF 45 or higher! :eek:

• Members

I'm 4th or 5th generation Canadian at least, but the word on the street is that the majority of my family came from England, Ireland, France, and Germany.

I've got an interesting story though... I was talking to these two girls from Spain that are here on exchange, and they said that I was the first one they had met who claimed to be Canadian (they had been here for about a month and a half at this point). Everyone they had met claimed to be whatever their great-great-grandparents (or the last family member that wasn't born here) had been. The Spanish girls found it really odd but funny.

I find that there's a lot of people like that around here though; it's almost fashionable to be from somewhere else. Being Italian seems to be cool right now with the high school and university age kids around here.. There are tons of kids that drive around the university with Italian flag stickers on their car and Italia shirts and whatnot, proclaiming how Italian they are as soon as someone mentions lasagna... But if you start talking to them, you find out they don't know a word of italian, their last name is Kirzpatrickson, and the last relative they had who was born in Italy died in like 1903. :rolleyes::)

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

Heritage is BS.

It doesn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that counts.

You can cling to your heritage as something that defines who you are, but that's crap. Your genes only define you if you let them.

Easy now. You're from America- the melting pot. You Identity is American and you're proud of it. It's a great way to look at yourselves and your country.

We Canadians are from a Mozaik point of view. We are all quite proud of our individual backgrounds that have constructed our country and made it the diverse blend that it is.

I find my heritage quite fascinating.

Half of My mom's family came over on the Mayflower and the other side, my Great Grand Dad was from Britain. He was supposed to gig his way over on the Titanic, but got bumped for someone more famous. His boat (that he eventually got to come over on) heard the SOS call, but were too far south to do anything about it.

My Dad was born in Italy. It was very important to him that I learn about my Italian heritage and try to blend it into the identity of that which is a Canadian. I'm a spagetti western in the flesh and proud of it.

Archived