Doc Martens

Thunderbroom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes: they're expensive, yes: they've got a lot of hype behind them, but my last pair of docs last me for six years and they're still good (I'd just have to get them re-soled). I ended up buying some 10i Gripfast boots on recomendation. Supposedly they're what DM's used to be like when they were still made in the UK. Still to early to tell how duravble they are...I'll get back to you in a couple of years.

• Members
Originally posted by Thumper

I've worn and loved Docs, but my favorites are Danner. I've worn their hiking boots and military boots for years, plus they're made right here in Portland, to boot...oh...bad pun. Sorry
:D

www.danner.com

For hiking boots it's all about Asolo:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1767862/c/278.html

I used to go through one pair of hiking boots a year (blown out seams, torn off soles and the such). We're talking serious hiking here though, 45 day trips with 15 miles a day over rough terrain.

So far the Asolos have lasted me three years. I Snowseal em up a few times a year and their good to go!

• Members

My wife was out shopping and came across Docs in some outlet store for $29. But she didn't get any for me because "she didn't know if I'd like them." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I had an old, old pair that I spraypainted and used as gig shoes, but she threw them away, so she owes me big time.

• Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Comfortable or Too Hyped (or Both or Neither)?

My wife is hounding me for Christmas gift ideas. I'm not a big fan of wearing tennis shoes/sneakers on stage. I normally wear my black work boots. While they look cool, they're uncomfortable. I'm thinking a nice low-cut black shoe would work better. I'm all about the comfort though as I'll wear these too work also and am on my feet most of the day.

I like the looks of this one:

b-nppa1561zfdm-28.jpg

gone off these...my choice would be commando soles...screwed onto leather...thats a mans shoe
MAINE(Black)F.jpg

:eek::cool:

• Members

I'm all about the comfort though as I'll wear these too work also and am on my feet most of the day

Check out the Australian Blundstone boot. You can get them in dark chocolate brown or black. Much cooler than Doc's IMNSHO (every "punk rock girl" in your local mall has a set of Doc's on her feet). Just as comfortable, too.

d_30.jpg

Emre

• Members

Comfortable or Too Hyped (or Both or Neither)?

My wife is hounding me for Christmas gift ideas. I'm not a big fan of wearing tennis shoes/sneakers on stage. I normally wear my black work boots. While they look cool, they're uncomfortable. I'm thinking a nice low-cut black shoe would work better. I'm all about the comfort though as I'll wear these too work also and am on my feet most of the day.

I like the looks of this one:

b-nppa1561zfdm-28.jpg

This is the last year I buy Docs unless I could get some Made In England ones. The last 2 pair have sucked. Wierd bumps on the inside soles.

I just bought a pair of GBX boots. More comfortable than Docs.

• Members

I've owned 3 pairs of Skeckers to my one pair of Docs that are STILL kicking after 12 years!!!! BUT, you really need to try them on. Each pair feels different. Somewhat heavy, but they are more durable. Hell, they're England's version of Red Wing shoes!! Aren't they just work shoes for factory workers?

Red Wings are tough too, but definitely more work shoes than "rockin'" shoes. hehehhee

Archived