Doc Martens

Thunderbroom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wore Doc Martens almost exclusively through the 90s. Very comfy and relatively good quality. The styles seem a little dull to me these days though. I still have a brown hiking tread that are my camping/fishing boots. :thu:

In recent years though I have been buying Fluevogs. They're more pricey but they're also a step up on style IMHO.

The quality is better than Docs (nicer leathers/rubber etc.); more of a cottage/hand made feel than the seemingly machine made Martens. Some of the styles have replaceable soles like Docs.

The replacement soles boast to be resistant to alkaline, water, acid, fatigue and yes, even SATAN! :eek:

Unisex:

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w=attribute%3AUnisex&pp=2

Mens:

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w=attribute%3AMens&pp=1

Ladies:

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w=attribute%3AWomens&pp=1

• Members

I've got two pairs of doc's-- one pair of work boots, one pair of not work boots.

827-159878-p.jpg work

and

89800-p.jpg

not work

bought both pairs from zappos.com

i wear a size 14, so it worked out well-- the price on those at a local retailer was just like $.50 lower than the MSRP on them. Zappos' price was much better, and I don't have to go to a shoestore which is another plus, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My wife got me the Docs. Cool shoe I suppose...not sure if they're worth the price. Time will tell. I guess folks in the know know their Docs though. When my sister-in-law arrived in FL over the holidays, I had mentioned that her sister had gotten me some shoes. As soon as she looked at them she said, "Docs". She told me the yellow stitching gave 'em away. Hmmm...learn something new everyday.

• Members

For an interesting look at Doc Martens in the subculture of 1980s skinheadism, both pro-neonazi groups squaring off against the multi-cultural vehemently anti-neonazi groups, read American Skin by Dom De Grazia (Scribners 1998).

Of course there not just for skinheads, punks, {censored}kickers, goths, etc. anymore. Plus depending on the model they are comfortable as hell.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by lingua latina

For an interesting look at Doc Martens in the subculture of 1980s skinheadism, both pro-neonazi groups squaring off against the multi-cultural vehemently anti-neonazi groups, read
American Skin
by Dom De Grazia (Scribners 1998).

Check out "Spirit of '69: A skinhead bible" for a great deal of info on that culture.

Oi

• Members

Originally posted by catphish

Hmm....amazon says no. But they have 1 copy used for $375!!!!!
:mad:

Well, if you happen to stumble upon one it's great.

OOP and collectible...must be good. Not something that my local New England-super-puritanical-WASP-library would have on the shelf ;)

Archived