Short-Scale Bass Recommendations

Thunderbroom

• Members

The bassist that will eventually replace me in my rock band is having a hard time with her 34" scale bass. She just can't get the stretches of one fret per finger though she's worked at it. She's starting to get frustrated.

I've been thinking that a short-scale bass could be in her future. I'd like to give her a little direction but dont' really know who makes them other than Fender and SX.

I'm going to recommend that she try a Mustang at the local GC. I think Gretch makes one. SX would be my last recommendation because I think she really needs to try one before she buys it.

Any suggestions? I'm sure she'd like to keep the cost to a minimum but would rather buy one.

Thanks!

:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Hamer Slammer shortscale isn't too bad. They arn't the greatest for sitting and playing but sound really good for a cheapy shortscale (about $170) Mine:

hammer.jpg

I think the black ones look a whole lot better though.

• Members

Originally posted by AntiStuff

The Epiphone EB-0 is a short scale, at least I'm pretty sure of that.

Originally posted by lug

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by lug

Except for the lack of the ability to produce some of the higher notes, the Gibson EBO is one of the finest guitars ever made.

:p

• Members

Originally posted by AntiStuff

Yeah it is.

That was meant as a shreek of horror at the thought of telling someone to get one, not a disaffirment of the fact that it is a shortscale, sorry for the confusion.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

The bassist that will eventually replace me in my rock band is having a hard time with her 34" scale bass. She just can't get the stretches of one fret per finger though she's worked at it. She's starting to get frustrated.

I've been thinking that a short-scale bass could be in her future. I'd like to give her a little direction but dont' really know who makes them other than Fender and SX.

I'm going to recommend that she try a Mustang at the local GC. I think Gretch makes one. SX would be my last recommendation because I think she really needs to try one before she buys it.

Any suggestions? I'm sure she'd like to keep the cost to a minimum but would rather buy one.

Thanks!

I have a early Mustang bass along with SX J and P shorties. The SXs are better basses than the Mustang. For years I used a standard Fender bridge which was a great improvement over the original Mustang's string-thru. There's just no attack with the original bridge. A couple of years ago I replaced it with a BAII. It also has a '70s DiMarzio P. Never played one of the Mustang Bass RIs.

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

an Epi Allen Woody might be cool in that type of rock situation, both on the eyes and the sound.

I had one. It was great, except for that stupidbridge!:mad: It was almost impossible to find strings with couplings that didn't ride up over the saddles and whack out the intonation.:freak: A trapeze tailpiece might have made that the perfect shortscale.:(

:wave:

• Members

Gretsch makes a mean ass short scale, I think its the electromatic junior jet. These things pack some serious low end punch thats not present in the short scale sx jazz. If you can find one with the dual humbuckers she would be set, Unfortunately I think Gretsch fazed it out of production. Still its not a bad bass, the Slammer is also pretty good, but all the ones I tried had bad electronics. Stay away from epiphone EB-0s.

• Members

Originally posted by F-holes

I had one. It was great, except for that stupidbridge!
:mad:
It was almost impossible to find strings with couplings that didn't ride up over the saddles and whack out the intonation.
:freak:
A trapeze tailpiece might have made that the perfect shortscale.
:(

:wave:

Somebody caught on to this, and invented this.

Makes sense, and appears to work well. Might be just the fix for that problem.

And once again, I have to take up for the Epi EB-O's. I've played several and find them to be light-years better than the Gibson EB-O's. Much more tonal range (still not tremendously versatile but much better), light, fast. It would be my short-scale of choice, were I a wee person.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Thanks!

after changing the PU's in my SX shortscale, it sounds pretty darn good...

Archived