Short-Scale Bass Recommendations

Thunderbroom

• Members

Originally posted by AntiStuff

Are they really that bad?

Not sure aboot the Epi version but the real Gibson EB0 was practically unusable as an instrument. I know Suck and this this excels at it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All right, let's do this.

Everyone here who's bagging on the Epi EB-O's, AND HAS ACTUALLY PLAYED ONE THROUGH A DECENT-SOUNDING AMP, raise your hand.

Everyone who's basing their opinion on the sound of the old Gibson EB-O's...go try an Epi and report to us.

As for me, I've played both through {censored}ty and decent-sounding rigs, and it's clear where my opinion stands.

• Members

Originally posted by Deep Bass

Isn't the Kubicki technically a medium scale? Pricey but cool, nonetheless.

32". I guess that would be medium. Stu Hamm has little hamster hands and he gets around okay, so I suppose they could fit the bill for smaller hands.

You can get used Fender custom shop models for

• Members

Originally posted by markman

I just picked up a SX short scale P-bass. I actually like it better than the Mustangs I've tried. Shoot me an email, and if you like you can come over and give it a try.

I've got a short-scale SX P. This is for the new bassist in my band, not me.

• Members

SX short scale jazz w/new pickups/electronics and better bridge should have her fixed up.

I switched over to them after playing 3 and 4 night gigs with long stretches in every song. My hands were aching like I had arthritis after each show. Switched to the shorties, and life is sweet again!

FWIW, I had the Fender P-bass shorty, but it wasn't as 'solid' a bass as the SX's. It was also 4 times price of the SX. Go figure.

• Members

You've had some excellent suggestions so far... Here's mine...

Fender Musicmaster...

2small_a.jpg

Danelectro Longhorn...

danolive.jpg

Out of these two, the Dano is getting more love right now, but the Musicmaster is patient... It knows I will return :D

-robert

• Members

I dearly love my Cort jazz, but since I'm old as dirt, my Fender Musicmaster is my main gigging bass. On the (E)bay they go for cheap, less than $250.00. Excellent shortscale bass. A Gibson EB-O3 w/2 pickups is an awesome bass as well.

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

Not...helping...GAS...

I've wanted a Longhorn for a while but it's always been on the back burner. I loved the reissues, nice and light, good tone. Just not constructed terribly well.

That's an '00 reissue with the popsicle stick bridge... The construction is nearly identical to the originals, many of which are still around forty years later... Feels cheap, but a true workhorse! IMO, a shorty that doesn't feel like a beginner's bass... Of course, I may be biased :D Played through that Ampeg V-4 and 2X15 cabinet it sounds like a 300 lb Gorilla... Wait a minute... I resemble that!

-robert

• Members

I'm much more than satisfied with my SX short scale.

The setup from the factory leaves a lot to be desired, though. Especially the nut. Like all lower priced basses, the nut is cut so high that a rough swipe at setup will make it pretty buzz free but the action at the nut is so high that intonation suffers. I've recut the nut slots on mine to appx. 20% of the stock string heigth and it really tames down the first few frets.

The stock strings are a joke. A set of Rotosound flats did a lot for the playability on mine.

The tuning machines are servicable but will be the next upgrade on mine, followed by a more substantial bridge.

The pups are not bad sounding at all after a careful setup. The stock pups with the factory setup are useable but not what an experienced player would likely be real happy with.

They are fine for a newbie right out of the box. To be a giggable instrument, if you do all the work yourself will nearly double the cost of your investment. A small price for what you'll end up with.

• Members

Originally posted by wishful1

[b

The tuning machines are servicable but will be the next upgrade on mine, followed by a more substantial bridge.

The pups are not bad sounding at all after a careful setup. The stock pups with the factory setup are useable but not what an experienced player would likely be real happy with.

They are fine for a newbie right out of the box. To be a giggable instrument, if you do all the work yourself will nearly double the cost of your investment. A small price for what you'll end up with.

---------------------

+1

I've changed the tuning gears on my SX's, but that wasn't absolutely neccessary. The ones that come standard on them will work okay, but I'm in a more 'professional' environment, and I needed to be sure they didn't fail. I went with AllParts tuning machines, and a Hipshot D-tuner on the E string.

Altogether, after mods, the SX cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500. But I've got an instrument that would have cost me 4 times that much had I bought one like it quality and tonal-wise like it is after the mods. And it sounds great. Every bassist that comes to see us play asks me "How do you get that sound?"...I tell them that it's the bass...it just absolutely ROCKS!!!

• Members

Originally posted by BigPigPeaches

Somebody caught on to this, and invented
this.

Makes sense, and appears to work well. Might be just the fix for that problem.

And once again, I have to take up for the Epi EB-O's. I've played several and find them to be light-years better than the Gibson EB-O's. Much more tonal range (still not tremendously versatile but much better), light, fast. It would be my short-scale of choice, were I a wee person.

That's fantastic!:idea: That addresses the very problem I had. :cool:

It's a shame that I ended up selling the Woody.:(

:wave:

• Members

I have owned the following short scale basses:

1970's Fender Musicmaster

1970 Univox 'Lectra (Beatle Bass clone)

1983 Kramer Duke (aluminum headless, steinberger type clone)

Epiphone Allen Woody

The only one that played a low E with any definition was the Kramer Duke. The only one I still own is the Univox. I play it on acoustic pieces. The Allen Woody looked the best. I found through owning these that I prefer the sound and definition of the longer scaled basses.

• Members

I'm diggin' my newly setup 80's era Yamaha Motion Bass right now. 32" scale with 1.5" nut. Two soap bar humbuckers. The fit and finish is as good as any mid-level bass. They are out of production but they still show up on ebay all the time.

This isn't mine but it's the same bass:

image16301.jpg

Archived