The "cheap gear" theory

Phantasm

• Members

I've found that buying bargain priced gear is largely futile; unless you enjoy changing out equipment and buying and selling.
Research and demo your purchases if at all possible and spend what it takes to get exactly what you want.... in the long run you'll spend more time playing instead of endlessy trading up and out your equipment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by pbass_groovin

I am completely satisfied with the basses I have. They cost me $625, $475, and $275. I have played basses costing thousands. I have yet to hear anything that I've liked better than my Fender MIA P.

Seriously, when you're playing a show is a $2K or $3K bass going to sound
significantly
better than a $600 quality used instrument. I find myself GASing for a SX more than a Warwick and I haven't even played a SX but I've played a dozen Warwicks.

:freak:

My $400 bass is in big demand at the blues jams I play at. The last time I played a guy with a $1200 custom Hill wanted to play mine. And I believe mine sounded better. There just might be a point of no return, so to speak. But consistant quality is had by spending a little more sometimes. I lucked out because I believe my bass was actually a custom for a company exec or something that was shipped to me instead, honest.

• Members

I love cheap gear. I have a bunch of it. My two basses are a MIJ Squier P-bass I bought for $100 circa 1989 or 1990, and a MIM P-bass I bought for $250 (w/OHSC) a few years ago:

92632799_645eaf262c.jpg
64187962_974e2d0103.jpg

Usually my head is a Crate BX-200 I picked up for $225 about a decade ago. Around the same time I picked up a cosmetically beat-up SVT 8x10 cab for the same amount, so I have a big rig for under 5 bills. I have a couple backups as well.

First I have a 70's Woodson 250 head and matching 1x15 cab a buddy told me to keep after it'd been at my house forever (I kept trying to get him to take it back but he'd bought a more modern combo and was no longer interested in retreiving it), so that was free. The head still works and I frequently loan it to bassists in either of my current bands for practice, and often use the Crate head with the 1x15 Woodson cab rather than the SVT when van cargo space is at a premium or when I just don't feel like lugging the SVT.

Lastly, a year and a half ago I picked up an old Randall 1x15 combo for $75 that also functions just fine, though it has one loose jack connection that needs some work.

BK

• Members

Whenever I have played through cheap(er) gear, well, it just sounds cheap for the most part.
I did play through a peavey rig one time at a gig and it sounded suprisingly well, but for all I know it could have been peaveys higher end line of head/cab. It was pretty beat up, and it looked cheap at the time.
My Yamaha bass I paid $250 for and it's my 2nd best sounding bass - playability is another story though :freak:

• Members

I've gone through two different pairs of ampeg cabs, I liked them both but wasn't the exact sound I was looking for. Bought an avatar 212 and fell in love with it.

Amp wise, I had a behringer 3000xt and got rid of it fairly quickly. Had an ampeg b2r and still didn't like the sound I was getting. Bought a kustom groovebass 1200h and I am really pleased with it. Then a new model ampeg v4-B came up for a good price, I played it's big brother the svt and loved it, so i figured might as well give this a go. Now I'm more than likely going to sell my kustom and keep the ampeg and avatar 212. It's amazing what you can go through on your quest for that specific "tone".

As for bass, I had an ibanez sr500 and didn't like it much. Bought an sx57pb, liked it so I decided to try out a jazz, bought an sx75jb and that's my main bass now.

Name brands doesn't bother me a bit, when I play something and like the sound that's coming from it, then its good enough for me (as long as it doesn't cost an insane amount of money).

• Members

I have tons of used gear but I have to disagree with you guys. I think it's more of the amp tone than the bass tone.

I have purchaced two 92 Peavey Fury's that were third hand and beat up for $30 and $25. After cleaning them up, rewiring them, throwing SD QP and adding a Jazz pickup to one, I can't see myself playing another bass.

I have a really nice amp with a DI out that could make just about any bass sound good. My basses are cheap but very solid and feel great.

Yo.

• Members

I've got a collection of custom handbuilt basses that cost well over $1500 ea. at discounted prices. They are considered 'top of the line'.
After I discovered the SX line of short-scale jazz cheapies, and that I was having a blast modifying them to fit my rather picky needs...I haven't even touched any of my high-end basses.
I just play my SX's. Although, after mods they probably cost around $500 each. But they play as well, and sound as good as anything I've got. They just flat out R-O-C-K!!!
I don't care what the gear snobs think of them or me. I like my SX's...no check that...I LOVE my SX's, and that's all that counts to me anymore.

• Members

I've owned a ton of used gear. But through the years my gear has gotten better and I am reasonably happy with what I have now. I'd say in my case as my gear got more expensive, my sound got better and I became happier with it. But a good cheap piece of gear cleanses the soul.

• Members
Originally posted by no-logic

I've owned a ton of used gear. But through the years my gear has gotten better and I am reasonably happy with what I have now. I'd say in my case as my gear got more expensive, my sound got better and I became happier with it. But a good cheap piece of gear cleanses the soul.

It could also be that your technique also got better, maybe not just the gear making a difference.:D

• Members

Do you know what I like about cheap gear (besides the price)? If I get broke or want to buy something else, I'm not very tempted to sell gear that I have and like because it isn't worth much. I'll never say, "I wish I hadn't sold my..." that way.

• Members

Cheap gear can be great. I really like my modded SX Jazz, and I stil pick up the first bass I ever bought ('60s Harmony H22 hollowbody, $75 in 1977). Cheap amps can be fun, too---just ask Ox about his Sunns he picked up for a song each.

• Members
Originally posted by Phantasm

I've been thinking about gear a lot over the past year, and I've been noticing that almost every player that I know (not everyone!) has at least one component of their rig that they're perfectly happy with it being cheap.

My whole rig is cheap.
But it works and it's LOUD. ;)

• Members

Sorry Guys, I disagree.

I've played enough gigs over the last 24 years with people (me included) you used cheap gear and had failures or problems during the gig.

Buy the best you can afford or buy equipment that is gig worthy and be done with it. There is nothing like a train wreck in the middle of a song because you thought your equipment was good enough.

If your just playing at home then buy what you want and have fun.

• Members

Originally posted by 4string

Sorry Guys, I disagree.

I've played enough gigs over the last 24 years with people (me included) you used cheap gear and had failures or problems during the gig.

Buy the best you can afford or buy equipment that is gig worthy and be done with it. There is nothing like a train wreck in the middle of a song because you thought your equipment was good enough.

The unspoken assumption here is that cheap gear is necessarily not gig-worthy.

Cheap does not have to mean so crappy as to be subject to having a problem that will interfere with playability or operation so as to be problematic during a gig. I've played in bands since 1980 and only very rarely had equipment problems onstage. Any experienced gigger knows to bring backup gear just in case, because even expensive gear will fail now and then.

A few examples of some of my cheap gear: my main bass head is a Crate, it's been in the shop maybe twice in about a decade. One of my main guitar rigs is a 1966 Fender Super Reverb modded into a 2x10 combo with 2x10 extension cab, it only cost me $300 when I bought it in the early 90's, and it's been great. I also have a vintage Sunn 200S bass head I got for $275 a year or so ago. So far it's blown a fuse which I replaced myself. I've never had a prob with the SVT 8x10 cab I got for $225 in the mid-90's.

All this stuff is very reliable and gigworthy, yet none of it was expensive.

BK

Archived