The "cheap gear" theory

Phantasm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do not confuse cheap with inexpensive.

Inexpensive gear is great (a la Brian Krashpad's post). You get more than you paid for.
Cheap gear, on the other hand, is well... Let's just say even if it's very inexpensive, it probably costs much more than it's worth.

• Members

I don't think that the point of my thread was really understood. I just tried to delete it but it won't let me.

The point was never to see an bunch of SX basses and hear about the cheapest gear you've bought. The point was that in my rig, I use a Lakland/Tobias/Wal (whichever suits me) and generally Eden XLT cabinets, but I use generally a midrange bass head such as an Ampeg "B" series or the SWR Bass 350 head because I just seem to prefer that. The really expensive heads just don't work for me for some reason.

If all three areas of my gear are of the same sort of "level" then it never seems to work out for me. Probably because the higher end gear is either too stylized and the three pieces are arguing with each other for room in the style spectrum or it's trying to be "flat and uncolored" and it just doesn't work out in that phase eitehr.

I was wondering if anyone else felt this way too, but somehow i think either I didn't explain it right or everyone's just very gung ho to show off those SX basses...

• Members
Originally posted by Phantasm

I don't think that the point of my thread was really understood. I just tried to delete it but it won't let me.

The point was never to see an bunch of SX basses and hear about the cheapest gear you've bought. The point was that in my rig, I use a Lakland/Tobias/Wal (whichever suits me) and generally Eden XLT cabinets, but I use generally a midrange bass head such as an Ampeg "B" series or the SWR Bass 350 head because I just seem to prefer that. The really expensive heads just don't work for me for some reason.

If all three areas of my gear are of the same sort of "level" then it never seems to work out for me. Probably because the higher end gear is either too stylized and the three pieces are arguing with each other for room in the style spectrum or it's trying to be "flat and uncolored" and it just doesn't work out in that phase eitehr.

I was wondering if anyone else felt this way too, but somehow i think either I didn't explain it right or everyone's just very gung ho to show off those SX basses...

Sheesh! I cracked open my 350 head a couple o' times and I'd hardly call it midrange. Personally, I chose it over others for quality over quantity reasons. :)

Archived