The "cheap gear" theory

Phantasm

• Members

I've been thinking about gear a lot over the past year, and I've been noticing that almost every player that I know (not everyone!) has at least one component of their rig that they're perfectly happy with it being cheap.

For example, I've had an Eden cabinet that I bought for $450 that I bought about 10 years ago that never lets me down. I bought a SWR Henry 8x8 for $300 and it's awesome!

Of course, those cabinets weren't NEW for that price. The real area where I seem to be able to deal with the cheapness is my bass amp. I've got an Ampeg B2 that I can make work in just about any situation and it sounds just fine. It's also very consistant because there are no tubes. I also have an SWR Bass 350 and an Ampeg B4, but I bought the B4 used for $550. I think the most I've ever spent for an amp that I didn't return was $600 and I overpaid for that! I'd consider a GK 1001RB-II again but I'd have to buy one used.

The thing that I try to pay the most attention to is the bass itself, because a lot of times that's what people are hearing. I love it when the soundman mics my rig and it usually sounds better if he/she is used to doing that but 90% of the time they just want to DI the bass so I notice the differences in that the most. I'm not saying that I can't play on a less expensive bass, just it's easier for me to find the tonality that I want with the basses I own. I've found that my hands try to play whichever instrument I'm using to find a certain tonality that I'm searching for... and when that doesn't work out I reach for the EQ!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a major proponent of 'cheap' gear. It's all I get, unless I'm absolutely convinced that spending more $$$ on a particular item has overwhelming advantages.

If you are careful, you can save lotsa $$$ while getting excellent stuff.

• Members

i'm more about bang-for-the-buck than actual price. if i can get what i need from a $.50 piece of gear, cool. if it takes a $500 piece of gear to get the sound from my head to your ears, then so be it. i don't care if it says peavey, hartke, Genz or JAF. if it helps me to make the music that i want to make, it's worth it.

• Members

Originally posted by mlwarriner

i'm more about bang-for-the-buck than actual price. if i can get what i need from a $.50 piece of gear, cool. if it takes a $500 piece of gear to get the sound from my head to your ears, then so be it. i don't care if it says peavey, hartke, Genz or JAF. if it helps me to make the music that i want to make, it's worth it.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

Have you decided to keep it then?

I just couldn't part with the SB2...it's just too good of a bass. I have decided to find an instructor in Oregon and learn my craft. You will get bored with just about anything if you stop progressing I think...

Dan

• Members

I think another plus with cheap gear is that i don't HAVE to sound all that good. It's a bitch when you get expensive gear that don't rise to your expectations.

On the other hand, my firm belife that a higher price tag equals better tone and that you get what you pay for often has an influense on me. It should sound better, therefore it does. Mindgames, man :p

• Members

My philosophy on bass amps matches this thread nicely... you just need to put a good clear bass sound out to the audience, either by the PA or by the amp. If you have a PA you just need to put a good clear bass sound out to yourself and your band. Anything beyond that is overkill unless you're recording or have a fantastic soundman and PA setup.

The bass, OTOH, is what it's all about, especially when DI-ing, which I happen to prefer in almost all cases... it's just far easier to get a clean, clear sound out to the audience or recording.

• Members

I guess what I'm saying is that generally there's an area of gear that people can get away with a lot cheaper.

Let's say that you buy a bass for $1.00, a head for $5.00, and a Cabinet for $10.00. Obviously you're able to get what you want out of a cheap bass, but you like to have a nice cabinet - otherwise, you'd have bought the Bass Cabinet for $1.00.

So try to throw out the gear snob arguments, and revisit this again... what part of your rig cost you a lot less but you're happy with? That's the real question here!

Admittedly there are people who like to have the cheapest gear possible all around and make it rock. I see these guys on Bourbon all the time with Squire basses and Behringer combo amps and they'll rock your socks off!

• Members

Originally posted by Emprov

After going through a ton of cabs, (Schroeder, Ampeg and Aguilar to name three), I'm now using Avatar neos. Does that count as cheap gear?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying! You've tried the more expensive stuff but you still went with Avatar because dangit, you like it!

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

So try to throw out the gear snob arguments, and revisit this again... what part of your rig cost you a lot less but you're happy with? That's the real question here!

Admittedly there are people who like to have the cheapest gear possible all around and make it rock. I see these guys on Bourbon all the time with Squire basses and Behringer combo amps and they'll rock your socks off!

I am extremely happy with the Behringer Vampire combo - only thing would be to have a 1x12" cabinet to go with it to get the full power, and fuller sound of the stereo patches.

My Yamaha bass is very nice considering it was less than $400 Canadian.

• Members

I guess what I'm saying is that generally there's an area of gear that people can get away with a lot cheaper.

Let's say that you buy a bass for $1.00, a head for $5.00, and a Cabinet for $10.00. Obviously you're able to get what you want out of a cheap bass, but you like to have a nice cabinet - otherwise, you'd have bought the Bass Cabinet for $1.00.

Trying again to answer your question in the way that it was asked, but I can't. Each and every piece of gear that I run is much nicer than what's necessary to get the job done, even down to the monster cables and batteries.

I'd like to think that that doens't make me a gear snob, I haven't bought anything other than a cord in over 3 years. I just ponied up the dough, bought what I wanted, and never looked back.:thu:

• Members

A few years ago I was in the market for a bass combo amp. I was willing to spend $500.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying! You've tried the more expensive stuff but you still went with Avatar because dangit, you like it!

I ended up buying a Crate BX100. It had at least as much clear volume as all the similarly-configured combos around, and was louder than most. It's tone capabilities were good; it sounded better than the Hartke Kickback and the Fender and SWR offerings under $500. And it only cost $250. Dangit!

• Members

I'm coming to the conclusion that to get the sound and power I want I need to spend some money. I've thrown away enough $$ on used/cheap gear over the last 2 years, trying to get a good sound that I stay happy with, to buy a nice rig and bass and be done with it.

That's not to say that I need to spend $2000, either, but the MAG300 isn't cutting it anymore and the PV1820 has been a disappointment. I need to get a nice rig that sounds good and stop searching for the Holy Grail in cheap gear.

C7

• Members

I am completely satisfied with the basses I have. They cost me $625, $475, and $275. I have played basses costing thousands. I have yet to hear anything that I've liked better than my Fender MIA P.

Seriously, when you're playing a show is a $2K or $3K bass going to sound significantly better than a $600 quality used instrument. I find myself GASing for a SX more than a Warwick and I haven't even played a SX but I've played a dozen Warwicks.

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by pbass_groovin

I am completely satisfied with the basses I have. They cost me $625, $475, and $275. I have played basses costing thousands. I have yet to hear anything that I've liked better than my Fender MIA P.

Seriously, when you're playing a show is a $2K or $3K bass going to sound
significantly
better than a $600 quality used instrument. I find myself GASing for a SX more than a Warwick and I haven't even played a SX but I've played a dozen Warwicks.

:freak:

IMHO yes. The preamp on the Sadowsky is amazing... it lets you control the exact right frequencies so you can place yourself exactly where you want to be in the mix. Plus just by its construction it cuts through loud and clear and fat and juicy and tight and pure all at once.

I have gigged on $140 pawnshop P-basses, I did it for years and years, albeit hot-rodded with BAII, SD Basslines, Graphite nut. I love that bass and will never give it up. I've also gigged on a $1000 Warwick. In some ways the P was more appropriate. But there's no question in my mind which bass of the three is the most fun to gig on.

• Members

I've come to the conclusion that I can be content with cheaper gear.

I used to have a number of boutique basses, but now I have real-life expenses and I just can't justify that kind of money on a hobby anymore. 18 years ago I bought a Hartke cabinet, which back then was pretty new and high-end. I'll take Yorkville 8 days of the week over the sound I got with that "high-end" (at the time) cabinet.

I've owned Ken Smith, FBasses, Zon's, Warwicks etc etc... and I was absolutely floored last week with a MIM P bass through my Yorkville rig. When I'm floored, I'm inspired. When I'm inspired, my playing shows it! Can't wait for my cheap-ass SX to arrive!!

• Members

I have a ridiculous pile of recording, keyboard and bass gear in my basement. Almost everything is used or clearance priced. I made it a point to not buy anything for full price. The only things I did pay full price for are -

My Ensoniq EPS (bought in 1990, brand new)

My SX jazz bass (although I don't think this should count)

Sonar 1.0 software (It was brand new out when I bought it)

Even the computers were marked down at Microcenter! I'm as cheap as you can get on this, it's just a hobby. I don't spend in a year what most people drink in a year. Good thing I don't drink!

:D

• Members

I look at price tag first, just so I don't get "sold" on an instrument without a way to pay for it. But after that, the bass has to have "it" for me, otherwise there's no point in playing it. I know a lot of folk here aren't Warwick fans, but the first time I picked up my Corvette 5 in the showroom and plugged it in, there was just a vibe about it that I knew it was "the" bass to get.

So, I figure as long as the bass speaks to you, that's more important. No need to go into hock in order to get a uber-bass if another one in your price range does it for you though.

• Members
Good cheap gear rules. I've got some basses that were pricey, but I judged them to be good values, but the rest of my stuff was just plain cheap. The most expensive non-bass item I have is my Fender 400PS, and $500 for 435 all-tube watts is pretty darn cheap.

• Members

I personally like cheap stuff. Basically 'cause I'm cheap and can't play worth a {censored} but....

I've got a modded SX P/J tuned BEAD (BA II bridge, EMG Select pups with a free set of Markley flats .125-.070) total $ 210.00...

A modded short scale SX P, (D'adarrio chromes flats, BA II and select pups) $175.00...

A used Dean Q-4 (stock except for new D'adarrio Ground wounds) $210.00...

Behringer Bx600 12" combo, new $170.00...

Ashdown 300 watt 15" combo, new $325.00...

Ibenez Phat Hed, eBay $25.00...

Akai Deep Impact NOS $140.00...

Tons o' cables about $100.00

So, I've spent about , what? $1350.00 total and the various combinations offer so many different sounds out of this collection of meager gear and that amazes me. Each bass has it's own personality.

I'm a basement player/learner so I don't know if I'd gig with this stuff but, I have the utmost confidence in my basses. As a matter of fact whenever I turn them over to someone more talented that I am, they seem to be impressed with the quality and do make them "sing" better that I can do.

Gotta work on my skills:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Rusty the Scoob

Trying again to answer your question in the way that it was asked, but I can't. Each and every piece of gear that I run is much nicer than what's necessary to get the job done, even down to the monster cables and batteries.

I'd like to think that that doens't make me a gear snob, I haven't bought anything other than a cord in over 3 years. I just ponied up the dough, bought what I wanted, and never looked back.
:thu:

Actually you answered it in the spirt the first time... you said that you too choose to focus on the bass vs. the amp becuase the bass is most of what people hear.

Archived