Interesting Wal-Mart News

T-40

• Members

So in your 7 years of experience, were all DMs relocated to their couches during a reorganization or were they fired more often than not?

I'm assuming that your point is that the silver lining portrayed by Kelemvor isn't accurate, but rather than simply disagreeing and laying out your experience as a reference, you took a halfcocked shot.

Pardon me for holding you to your own standards.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've known all this info for years. I know walmart sucks, bigtime for all the reasons.

I work two jobs and have a family, so we try to get the best deals possible. Im broke so we have to go where its cheap and its usally wm. I hate the fact I shop there. I dont have to. I dont have to feed the kids or buy anything for the family. Alls I gotta do is stay white and die, but I go for the deals. Its a trap wm does everywhere they go. If you broke like me, you go there, and soon they close everyplace everywhere and then its United Stats of Walmart! The prices go up and everything goes to {censored}.

So yeah, {censored} wm, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And no im not "whitetrash". I live in a house and my wife could be a {censored}in' supermodel!:p

• CMS Author

{censored} Wal-Mart, Kmart, and Target. If you can find ten different items in any of these stores that is made in USA, let me know....when I last walked around one of these stores I couldn't find anything that wasn't made in China.

Thanks to the people who buy from these stores, China has plenty of money to {censored} up the world as badly as it does its own people.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

{censored} Wal-Mart, Kmart, and Target. If you can find ten different items in any of these stores that is made in USA, let me know....when I last walked around one of these stores I couldn't find anything that wasn't made in China.

Thanks to the people who buy from these stores, China has plenty of money to {censored} up the world as badly as it does its own people.

How about, "{censored} American greed."?

How much do you think it would cost to sell all of those Chinese made items if they were made in the USA? There's a reason the manufacturing industry is on it's way out in this country and it isn't Wal-mart. Most Americans expect ridiculous wages and they don't want to pay anything for their consumer products.

I buy American where it is important, but there's no way that I am going to seek out American made textiles and pay a premium for that.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

So in your 7 years of experience, were all DMs relocated to their couches during a reorganization or were they fired more often than not?

The latter, as I've already stated, and the claim was not just about DMs, but about employees from top to bottom...

Seriously, are you just not reading? I never said "all DMs", I didn't say anything of the sort...

I'm assuming that your point is that the silver lining portrayed by Kelemvor isn't accurate, but rather than simply disagreeing and laying out your experience as a reference, you took a halfcocked shot.

Pardon me for holding you to your own standards.

Whatever...You've decided to disagree and are looking for any basis for doing so...You're "assuming" my point? Considering I've stated it explicitly, that's quite the accomplishment...I know you're a smart guy and certainly not obtuse, so I'm left thinking that you're doing this purposely...

I never said "all such situations are the same", and I never said that I was basing it on anything but my experiences...

Which of "my standards" am I therfore violating?...If I have a standard against smartassed remarks, that's news to me...

My statement was specifically that in my seven years, I saw far more situations where employees got fired outright rather than the pleasant relocating of folks described by Kelemvor...

• Members

My gripe is with your opening statement:

Yeah, like all those people who were "relocated" when Kmart's Executives looted the company...

Relocated to their couches at home...

:rolleyes:

You have a tendency to get in people's asses about such statements. You wouldn't have clarified your position if I hadn't been looking a wee bit too hard. That's all I'm saying.

• Members

I get most of my shopping done at Costco. They seem to have more knowledgalbe employees and often have better prices than Walmart or Sams Club.

I haven't boycotted Walmart though. Some of the businesses they are thrashing deserve to be killed off. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by superiorparts

if you need any extra technical advice you cant find it at a walmart.

Come on, it's Wal-Mart. Do you need additional technical advice on a package of Ho-Ho's, underwear, dish soap? The vast majority of the stuff they sell is self explanitory.

• CMS Author

How about, "{censored} American greed."?

How much do you think it would cost to sell all of those Chinese made items if they were made in the USA? There's a reason the manufacturing industry is on it's way out in this country and it isn't Wal-mart. Most Americans expect ridiculous wages and they don't want to pay anything for their consumer products.

I buy American where it is important, but there's no way that I am going to seek out American made textiles and pay a premium for that.

Note that I wrote, "thanks to the people who buy from these stores". Retailers will sell what people will buy, so I don't blame them for what they sell. The days of Americans looking for American products are long gone. The irony is that eventually there won't be any decent jobs here, and we won't be able to buy any of the Chinese crap no matter how cheap it is...it'll be too expensive to ship and still sell cheaply enough here.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Rowka

Come on, it's Wal-Mart. Do you need additional technical advice on a package of Ho-Ho's, underwear, dish soap? The vast majority of the stuff they sell is self explanitory.

Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. If I didn't have that info, who knows what my hair would look like today.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

....when I last walked around one of these stores I couldn't find anything that wasn't made in China.

Try walking through a new car dealer and finding something made in America. The Ford Mustang contains so many foreign parts that it can't by law be classified as an American car while the Toyota Camry, on the other hand, does qualify as an American car. It is in fact the #1 selling American car.

Help! The whole damned world is spinning off its axis. :freak:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Mudbass

Try walking through a new car dealer and finding something made in America. The Ford Mustang contains so many foreign parts that it can't by law be classified as an American car while the Toyota Camry, on the other hand, does qualify as an American car. It is in fact the #1 selling American car.

Help! The whole damned world is spinning off its axis.
:freak:

I'm tired of all of it.

• Members

Originally posted by the_big_geez

I don't have the time to read this rght now, but I will later. I am particularly interested inseeing if any of this research can bear up to legal scrutiny.

Still, I suggest the boycott should begin on Constitution Av in DC rather than on 'L' street.

It is the difference between treating a symptom or an actual cause.

Just so you know, I do totally agree with you... on an individual basis.

I boycott Wal-Mart for MANY more reasons than that. Like I said, it is just one more thing that makes them a parasite on the backs of America.

• Members

Originally posted by bruto

In their backrooms, regional offices, and corporate offices, Walmart is a barebones setup: plain one-story buildings, open office areas, and none of the executive perks that are normally found in major corporations. Doing away with district managers only adds to the austerity.

And Walmart, like many modern businesses today, relies on a secure network and email for its corporate communication and has a one-size-fits-all business model, so district managers are less needed as they once were. Curiously though, Walmart uses its DMs mainly to ensure compliance with corporate policy, so they must feel particularly confident that everyone will tow the party line.

The elimination of greeters is a bad move IMO. They are a rather inexpensive form of public relations.

First, I hate shopping and will do everything to avoid it whenever and wherever possible. I do like the idea of one stop shopping in a store like Walmart.

So, I don't know. Why the big deal about the greeters? I don't need one and who gives a {censored} if anyone says hi to you when you walk in? :rolleyes:

I could care less about the business practices of Walmart so long as they aren't breaking any laws. If they break laws, then they should be prosecuted. Otherwise, I go there for many of my basic needs because, I know many will hate me saying this, THEY HAVE LOWER PRICES. Some say 'but they do it on the backs of the Chicoms and Indonesians'. So, what? They need to make a living too.

However, let's clearly say what is REALLY going on here. Walmart is a big business and libs/dems hate any big business; HMO's, Pharmaceuticals, oil, to name just a few. They will do everything to make you believe they are evil unless, of course, they are unionized then the libs/dems will say nothing except how evil they are for the never ending quest for cheaper labor.

If you were a business owner you would do the same thing because labor is your largest expense.

Profit is not dirty.

Government is where all the dirt exists.

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

First, I hate shopping and will do everything to avoid it whenever and wherever possible. I do like the idea of one stop shopping in a store like Walmart.

So, I don't know. Why the big deal about the greeters? I don't need one and who gives a {censored} if anyone says hi to you when you walk in?
:rolleyes:

I could care less about the business practices of Walmart so long as they aren't breaking any laws. If they break laws, then they should be prosecuted. Otherwise, I go there for many of my basic needs because, I know many will hate me saying this, THEY HAVE LOWER PRICES. Some say 'but they do it on the backs of the Chicoms and Indonesians'. So, what? They need to make a living too.

However, let's clearly say what is REALLY going on here. Walmart is a big business and libs/dems hate any big business; HMO's, Pharmaceuticals, oil, to name just a few. They will do everything to make you believe they are evil unless, of course, they are unionized then the libs/dems will say nothing except how evil they are for the never ending quest for cheaper labor.

If you were a business owner you would do the same thing because labor is your largest expense.

Profit is not dirty.

Government is where all the dirt exists.

A lone voice in the wilderness, railing against a lifetime of spin.

:D

• CMS Author

Originally posted by hawkhuff

Any guess whether those Chicoms share the same sentiments for you?

• Members

There's a reason the manufacturing industry is on it's way out in this country and it isn't Wal-mart.

Like I said before, 80% of things China exports to the US end up in a walmart. So yes, it is walmart. Walmart is possibly the biggest driving force behind offshore production at this time.

• Members

Originally posted by ec437

Like I said before, 80% of things China exports to the US end up in a walmart. So yes, it is walmart. Walmart is possibly the biggest driving force behind offshore production at this time.

So Wal-mart is forcing people to buy their items?

Aside from that point, your 80% is completely wrong.

Here's a link to an AFL-CIO website.

They claim that Wal-mart is responsible for "nearly 10 percent of all Chinese goods sold in this country that year". But then, the AFL-CIO is probably cooking the books to favor Wal-mart.

The San Franciso Chronicle agrees, but they are a pack of right wing corporate spin doctors too, right?

If you're going to bring statistics to the party, get your {censored} straight.

• Members

Originally posted by ec437

Why do you think they stopped selling only things made in the USA??? Cause Sam died. Did you know that 80% of the things that China exports to the US end up being sold through walmart? If walmart was a nation, it would be China's fourth largest trading partner, ahead of even Germany. Walmart demands yearly price cuts from its suppliers regardless of circumstances, and if they cannot meet the price they find a factory in China that can. I could go on...

Walmart operates on a predatory, unethical, and impersonal business model. I have not ever shopped there and will continue to refuse to do so as long as I am able. I will also discourage as many others from shopping there as possible.

DON'T SHOP AT WALMART!!!!

Again, you're wrong.

In 2004 Wal-mart bought $18 billion in Chinese goods.

Here's the top ten for that same year:

(in millions of dollars)

EU 142,106

USA 136,527

Japan 135,826

Hong Kong 88,589

ASEAN 84,613

ROK 72,573

Taiwan Province 63,476

Russia 17,114

Australia 16,253

Canada 12,701

Source

That puts Walmart 8th.

Also, Wal-mart has stores in 15 other countries, so not all of the Chinese product is making it to US shelves.

I'd really like to hear you back up your facts. I'm sure you could go on, but it would be more bull {censored}.

Archived