Interesting Wal-Mart News

T-40

• Members

I just got an email from my Mom who was bummed about the situation at work. She's worked for Wal*Mart since 1985 and has always been an exemplary employee, working her way up from a cashier to being an assistant at the district level. Recently Wal*Mart completely restructured their management system, getting rid of most of their district managers and assistants. Unfortunately my mother's job was one of those eliminated. She was sad about that but she had a positive "hey, that's life" attitude. They liked her so they moved her to another position that only cut her pay about 50 cents per hour.

Well all that happened a few months ago. Just the other day Wal*Mart dropped another bomb... wage caps. All of their positions are going to have a ceiling above which wages cannot rise. You can get raises up to that point, but once you're there you're done. Well, after 25 years of service my Mom had been making over sixteen dollars an hour at her district level position. She learned the other day that if she was transferred to yet another position (which very well may happen as the restructuring isn't quite finished) she'd fall under the new wage caps, which would consequently cut her pay anywhere between three and five dollars per hour. Needless to say she's a bit worried and is looking at all her other options. She's 52 and retirement (if my parents will actually be able to retire) isn't all that far away.

I've always been one to defend Wal*Mart whenever threads bashing the retail giant pop up, but this stretches things a little too far for me to defend. I wonder if the people who decided to implement the wage cap had their wages cut as well?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived