OT: How many americans here drive a manual?

ToeJamFootball

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by misterhinkydink

We all drive true manuals, including my 15yo daughter who is training towards her license. My Citroen is manually shifted but the clutch is operated by a combination of the gear selector, brake and engine speed. There is no clutch pedal.

pic00009.jpg

Is that a DS with pneumatic clutch?

Great to see another Citrophile here, by the way.. I drive a BX.

• Members
Originally posted by Rusty the Scoob

There's nothing worse than being in traffic behind some dumbass in an automatic vehicle who is all gas pedal or brakelights.
:mad::rolleyes:

Or worse, gas AND brakes.

People who never learn to drive a manual frequently drive and automatic with two feet, one for gas and one to brake.

I knew a chick in highschool who did that. It was cool until she had to make an emergency stop. She pushed both pedals to the floor and the car didn't really stop all that well.

• Members
Originally posted by B-Bottom

in my 13 years of driving I've owned 2 cars, and both have been manual.

It's funny that this thread was posted because just last night I was teaching my girlfriend how to drive manual
:cool:

Did you break out the training stick before hand? :D

• Members
Originally posted by burdizzos

Did you break out the training stick before hand?
:D

nice.

She actually picked it up pretty fast. I know when my parents were teaching me how to drive stick they spent more time screaming at me than actually showing me how to drive the damn thing. By the time I went for my driving test I was so nervous that I forgot to take the emergency break off for like the first 2 minutes. I kept feeling the car buck but tried to play it off because I didn't want the officer to notice. Of course he did and failed me.

• Members

I drive a stick, prefer it so much more, and it is not bad in rush hour traffic, my left leg just turns to jelly after 2 hours...

someone else was mentioning that people who drive manuals know their car better, and I tend to agree with this statement. So many people on the freeway will brake for no reason, when if they were paying attention, they could have just coasted to even out the speed. Of course when that person brakes, the person behind them brakes, the person behind them brakes, then you have one of those moments where traffic comes to a stop, and you can't figure out why as it starts going again immediately....;)

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

I do. I prefer them... though I'm always scared when parking on hills. That is my only concern, especially while my emergency brake is fux0red.

Parallel parking on hills is the worst. And just driving on the hills in San Francisco is scary with a manual, especially when they put a stop sign at the top of the hill. In the east coast, generally there are no stop signs going up because of what would happen in the winter if you stopped on snow or ice.

On a side note, I saw my Dad back a trailer up a steep hill. He started on the hill backwards, then turned the trailer into a campsite while driving backwards uphill. I bet even he was glad to have an automatic!

• CMS Author

I learned to drive MT early on, and have always prefered it, but the last 10 years or so, I've needed trucks or SUV's and they simply don't work with MT.....With an auto trans I can tow over 8,000lb with my F-150. If it had an MT, the limit would be about 2,500lb. Not nearly enough. Plus it's damned near impossible to find a MT truck that's not a bare-bones model, or a special order that takes months of waiting. And resale? Forget it. I had dealers ducking and hiding when I was trying to return *leased* cars with MT...they didn't want to take in a car that they had no interest in selling.

• Members

every car I've owned was a manual. The next car I'm buying will be some cheap pos tho, so I may just get an automatic. I will miss feeling in control and having the fun factor, but then again, what's fun or the need to be in control in some 90hp beater?

Archived