OT: How many americans here drive a manual?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

or can drive a manual?

im going to have to learnt to learn to drive soon, as my roommates might be moving out, so i will have to look for a cheaper place, probably the flat my mum owns in this town for now, but i will need to drive to get to work.

just curious, as i though alot of americans are lazy {censored}ers and drive automatics, for obvious reasons though.

:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do, and I learned on a manual. I think it's the best to learn on a manual because it helps you know and feel what the car is doing. In my experience, some people who never drove a manual car don't realize that you can coast; they're either accelerating or braking.

• Members

Originally posted by Deep Bass

I do, and I learned on a manual. I think it's the best to learn on a manual because it helps you know and feel what the car is doing. In my experience, some people who never drove a manual car don't realize that you can coast; they're either accelerating or braking.

I grew up in a family with a bunch of dirt bikes. Nothing else felt quite right for me.

• Members

I have known how to (passable anyway) for several years. I recently traded my automatic transmission'ed Grand Prix for a used Toyota Celica 6-speed.

#1 reason: the tranny in the Grand Prix was going out a 2nd time and making the car unsafe. :o

• Members

Originally posted by Esperanto

I drive a manual truck

can't stand automatics...doesn't feel like I'm in control. Every car I've owned since high school has been a manual transmission.

Move to Los Angeles and cover 20 miles in 2.5 hours in traffic, see if you feel the same...

Like riding a damn bike...

As for me, I am fine on an Manual, driven them in the UK (left hand shift no issue) driven them in Greece (Mountains...whole damn country is mountains)...

For certain cars (sports cars, muscle cars, off road) manual is distinctly superior...For others (full size sedans, vans, etc) there's no point and an automatic is rather more convenient...

Edit: I wrote "automatic" when I meant "manual" :D

• Members

I have always owned manuals. Most of the automatics I've driven don't seem to wan't to shift when it seems like they should, and it drives me nuts. I've never really driven a new car though.

I've heard that manual transmissions are cheaper to replace/repair if needed, but I've never had to.

• Members

I can drive a manual (I learned on a crappy $500 Ford Econoline with a four on the floor and no parking break) but I suck at it. I can get to where I need to go, but I'm far from fluid.

I read in a car advice column that less than 10% of passenger vehicles sold in the United States have manual transmissions. I suppose that's the way things are going, especially because today's automatics can equal the manuals in terms of gas mileage (or at least come really close). A CVT can beat 'em both though.

• Members

In my 15 years of legal driving, every one of the four vehicles that I have owned has been a manual.

I don't deal with much traffic, so it works fine for me.

If I lived where I sat in traffic for an hour or two every day, I'd probably consider an automatic. That part of the reason why I choose to live where I do. I don't like traffic, so there's no way I'd take a job in a major metro area.

My current truck is only three years old, so I won't be new vehicle shopping for another six years, at least.

My wife's car has a CVT, it's pretty cool.

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

Move to Los Angeles and cover 20 miles in 2.5 hours in traffic, see if you feel the same...

If you think traffic jams are bad in USA, pay us a visit. :)

A manual is perfect in the traffic especially with a diesel car.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

If you think traffic jams are bad in USA, pay us a visit.
:)
A manual is perfect in the traffic especially with a diesel car.

Meh. Last year I spent a grueling two hours in a traffic jam in France, on the autoroute. Pretty steep uphill all the way, stop and go traffic with a full car.

How I prayed for an automatic then, my left leg must've been twice its normal size after those two hours.

• Members

I spent nearly 10 years in the Fire Brigade driving automatics. Absolutely lethal for driving fast. There's no way I want the vehicle to decide what gear I should be in, and the things used to change gear at the most ridiculous times, like kicking down when your trying to hold a steady speed around a bend.

I'll take a "stickshift" (I presume that means I have to change gear!) every time, I don't care about traffic, I don't want an idiot car telling me what to do!

• Members

Originally posted by hawkhuff

Now it seems you can't get any newer vehicles with a manual shift; they're all automatic.

Automatics have come a long way in the last 15 years. But still it's silly that manufacturers don't offer cars with manuals. Clearly there's a market for them.

Archived