Still debating on basses

u6crash

• Members

So...for whatever reason I've got it in my head that I need to get myself a bass even though I don't have as much time as I'd like to play music.

I had all but decided to get a Fender Jaguar because I've heard good things about them. I'm a sucker for matching headstock colors, so I wanted a red one. Musician's Friend didn't have them, so I started checking other sites. Zzounds, SamAsh, Elderly Music, American Music Supply, and Music 123 are all completely out of them in any color.

So then I started thinking, maybe this bass is really popular and do I want to have something that everyone else and his uncle is getting? So I started looking all over and found some used Univox bass that was kind of neat and a few other things, but they are all far away and I want to try one before I buy or at least have the option of returning it.

Today I went to the nearest guitar store (about thirty miles away) just to see if by chance they had any weird vintage stuff that might fit the bill, but an eight string Hagstrom was all I found. I think eight strings is too many for a beginner like myself, but I decided I'd ask about the Jaguar bass. They said they are expecting one in and it's red, so they took my name and said they'd give me a call.

I'll go in and try it out, but do you think it is foolish for a beginner to spend that much on a bass? Should I look at a standard MIM Fender P-bass instead? What else can you tell me?

• Members

RD500SB.jpg

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RD500&color=1

Call Music Center in Kenosha, I have a guy that should be able to help you. Ask for Scott Chapman. This guy has been taking care of me since I started playing bass. He will help you out with finding a bass and will give you a good deal. Tell him Chad sent you. PM me if you have any questions.

Music Center

7700 Green Bay Rd.

Kenosha,WI 53142

Scott Chapman

1-262-697-9393 Ext.242

• Members

I'd recommend a Precision or Jazz Bass-style instrument. Don't limit yourself to Fender---G&L, Lakland and many other makers offer some nice basses. You might want to consider a used bass. Let some other poor bastage eat the depreciation.

As for the Hagstrom 8-string---it's not a good choice for a first bass. I had one for several years, and I hated it. It sounded thin and puny, never played in tune, and was an unmitigated disaster at gigs. Some folks love them, but not me.

• Members

Buying an quality instrument in the first place is not a bad idea, mainly because you don't have to fight any inherent faults of the instrument (i.e. it will sound and play well right out of the box), and because you won't need to upgrade from a low-quality instrument later on in your career.

• Members

Originally posted by 82Daion

Buying an quality instrument in the first place is not a bad idea, mainly because you don't have to fight any inherent faults of the instrument (i.e. it will sound and play well right out of the box), and because you won't need to upgrade from a low-quality instrument later on in your career.

+1:thu:

• Members

How about the Fender Aerodyne Precision bass? It's Japanese made and I am told that Fender Japan have better quality control than they have in Mexico. They have matching headstocks and they're not that expensive.

Also as some people here may know I've been drooling over those basses lately.

• Members

Well, my wanting a Jaguar is purely for aesthetic reasons. I'll have to get my hands on one before I know if it really fits me. Once upon a time I had a MIA Standard Jazz, and I liked it, but I don't want another one because it just seems so typical. The other one I had was a Carvin bolt kit. It was beautiful, but I couldn't help feel that the low E string was off a little bit due to my own inexperience in assembling kits.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

Well, my wanting a Jaguar is purely for aesthetic reasons. I'll have to get my hands on one before I know if it really fits me. Once upon a time I had a MIA Standard Jazz, and I liked it, but I don't want another one because it just seems so typical. The other one I had was a Carvin bolt kit. It was beautiful, but I couldn't help feel that the low E string was off a little bit due to my own inexperience in assembling kits.

Non-typical basses in your price range that will knock your socks off:

MTD Kingston. Burdizzos has one for sale I think, or go to basscentral.com:

kingston1.jpg

Spector Legend (the bass I play):

396497.jpg

Lakland Skyline 44-01. Can be hard to find in-stock:

44-01_2.jpg

Schecter Stiletto:

399268.jpg

Those are just a few, if you're wanting to get away from the typical Fender look, which is something I chose to do as well. I like my Spector, the Schecter was alot like it. RyCLB's Lakland Skyline kicks ass, and I've never played the MTD but I really want to, I like their styling, and you can get them without the weird pickguard if you don't like it.

C7

• Members

I went to the store again today and played the Fenders they had just to see how they felt and I played a couple of other used basses they had (Ibanez Soundgear, something else) and of the stuff they had, the only stuff that felt right were the MIA and MIJ Fenders. I may have to go to a bigger music store to see a selection. I heard there is one going out of business in town so I might see if they have anything that suits me.

• Members

I went to the store again today and played the Fenders they had just to see how they felt and I played a couple of other used basses they had (Ibanez Soundgear, something else) and of the stuff they had, the only stuff that felt right were the MIA and MIJ Fenders. I may have to go to a bigger music store to see a selection. I heard there is one going out of business in town so I might see if they have anything that suits me.

If you want Fender Check my earlier post, they carry a pretty good selection. I could even meet you up there. I usually am there once a week. Give him a call. He can help you and cut you a hell of a deal. Trust me:thu: :thu:

• Members

I don't want a Fender necessarily, but that is just what 90% of the inventory is at the nearest store. I'll certainly think about that offer, but Kenosha is a hell of a drive for me.

Just let me know if you want to go. They carry more than Fender, but they do have alot of those :thu:

• Members

Still thinking about it a little, waiting for the local shop to get a Jaguar for me to try. Thought I'd look around a bit online and see what else jumps out at me. Here are a couple:

DiPinto Mach IV Bass

237853.jpg

Wilson Brother Ventures VMB75

128608F.jpg

Schecter Ultra Bass

160790.jpg

Music Man Stingray

STNGRY4NTmed.jpg

Ibanez ASB140

129444.jpg

Ibanez ICB200 Iceman

129412.jpg

BC Rich Eagle Platinum

158729.jpg

BC Rich Mockingbird

PMBBKmed.jpg

I'll look up some reviews on these later, but I'll welcome other comments as well. Some of my thoughts off the bat:

The DiPinto is different, not sure about the headstock.

The Schecter is cool looking, but I have a weird prejudice/superstition about set and neck through guitars basses. It's stupid, I know.

The MuiscMan is out of my price range.

The Iceman has a certain rock and roll appeal to it.

Like I said, I'll try the Jaguar out before I buy anything and if it doesn't feel right or I decide it is too much, I'll keep looking. Thanks again for all the input.

• Members

You're like me, dude... I dig the basses that have a good vintage vibe to them. Hence the reason I have a Reverend! Something fun might be the DiPinto Belvedere, but they're tough to come by & feel kinda like a toy (but sound pretty cool). I think the coolest bass I've played lately was a Pewter Yamaha BB 614. Played real well, sounded great, and looked cool as hell. You can see them here:

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D62224%2526CTID%253D600007%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

The Pewter on looked a lot like the Michael Anthony sig model but without the stupid chili inlays.

Anyway, it's less than $500 and a smokin' buy if you ask me.

• Members

Originally posted by zachoff

You're like me, dude... I dig the basses that have a good vintage vibe to them. Hence the reason I have a Reverend! Something fun might be the DiPinto Belvedere, but they're tough to come by & feel kinda like a toy (but sound pretty cool). I think the coolest bass I've played lately was a Pewter Yamaha BB 614. Played real well, sounded great, and looked cool as hell. You can see them here:

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D62224%2526CTID%253D600007%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

The Pewter on looked a lot like the Michael Anthony sig model but without the stupid chili inlays.

Anyway, it's less than $500 and a smokin' buy if you ask me.

Sweet lookin bass. Definitley a cool buy:thu: :thu:

• Members

I haven't heard a lot of encouraging things about Epiphone basses, so I've been avoiding them a little bit. I like the look of the Explorer, V, and Firebird basses, but I think only the Firebird is still being made and I've had trouble finding the other two.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer2001

Call Music Center in Kenosha, I have a guy that should be able to help you. Ask for Scott Chapman. This guy has been taking care of me since I started playing bass. He will help you out with finding a bass and will give you a good deal. Tell him Chad sent you. PM me if you have any questions.

Music Center

7700 Green Bay Rd.

Kenosha,WI 53142

Scott Chapman

1-262-697-9393 Ext.242

Is that an open offer?

:)

Archived