Still debating on basses

u6crash

• Members

I remember back in my day, I always wanted a red Fender Strat. I wanted it, and wanted it...finally got it and I didn't put it down until I wore down the first 3 frets so hard it was just buzz. So in that case, I learned a lot and loved it.

If you are kind of in between, I can't recommend a Fender MIM P-bass or Jazz bass enough. They are great basses, sound decent stock and are easy to setup. A few months go by if you decide you hate playing bass or hate that bass, as long as it's in good shape, you'll be able to sell it for near what you paid and be done with it. If you love the bass you can easily modify that bass for better tone, or upgrade to more expensive bass while getting a decent trade value for yours.

Those are my thoughts.

• Members

I've thought about that too just because $700 is a lot of money to spend on a bass, and I just paid for my car insurance.

Something bugs me about the way the low e felt on all the MIM Fenders I played, but it is a more economical way to start. I've also thought about getting something simple from Rondo. Heck, for the price of a MIM Fender, I could almost get a new Carvin bolt instead. Thus the debate continues :)

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Non-typical basses in your price range that will knock your socks off:

MTD Kingston. Burdizzos has one for sale I think, or go to basscentral.com:

I've never played the MTD but I really want to, I like their styling, and you can get them without the weird pickguard if you don't like it.

C7

The active MTDs have no Pickguards. All the passives do.

• Members

i got a musicman bongo 4 HH recently and i love it to bits! its great to play and you can get loads of different tones out of it. also, it look nothing like any other bass on the market (designed by BMW, explains the steering wheel on the back). If you're not thinking of spending that much every other musicma i've played has been great!

• Members

Well, I think I've decided that my budget is getting smaller and I'm leaning towards another Carvin bolt kit. The results with my first one were pretty decent, and it will give me more finishing practice for the future (I'd like to make guitars from scratch someday).

Fortunately I have the opportunity to put in an additional five hour shift this coming weekend and maybe for the next few weeks. So I'm going to take what I can get and save my money for the kit.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer2001

Call Music Center in Kenosha, I have a guy that should be able to help you. Ask for Scott Chapman. This guy has been taking care of me since I started playing bass. He will help you out with finding a bass and will give you a good deal. Tell him Chad sent you. PM me if you have any questions.

Music Center

7700 Green Bay Rd.

Kenosha,WI 53142

Scott Chapman

1-262-697-9393 Ext.242

GREAT place to deal with. I got my Ampeg 8x10 from them a couple years back. I've priced a few things since then from them and they've always come back with the best price.

Archived