flatwounds vs roundwounds on a fretless?

skier4467

• Members

Originally posted by skier4467

I just got a 4 string Kawai fretless. Right now it has those silky smooth strings. Can I put regular strings on it cause that's what Im used to?

You can but they'll chew up your fret board. If you want some flats with a little zing try the TI Jazz Flats.

• Members

Originally posted by seraphim7s

This may be bollocks, but I thought it was possible to use rounds on certain types of wood - like rosewood, but not ebony.

They may not wear at the same rate, but they're all softer than steel.

• Members

Unless you're using an especially soft wood, you shouldn't need to worry about rounds eating the fingerboard much more than you need to worry about frets wearing down on fretted basses. I would avoid steel strings, since they are harder.

If the fingerboard is ebony, use whatever you want, since ebony is as hard as rock. Rosewood is softer and wear will be noticeable eventually, but not necessarily enough to affect playability. Maple is supposedly softer than rosewood, in which case I would use flats. Any laquered/finished/epoxied fingerboard should be safe for rounds. The main cause of wear from rounds will come from using fretted vibrato technique. Using "true" vibrato technique could make any wear negligible.

• Members

Originally posted by Zebra

The main cause of wear from rounds will come from using fretted vibrato technique. Using "true" vibrato technique could make any wear negligible.

This is the primary thing to remember. NO BENDING.

Low action will also help, as you won't have to press as hard.

• Members

Originally posted by chubrocker

I use half-rounds as well. Flats are too smooth for me. I like feeling the "grip" on the strings with my finger.

that is exactly right for me as well..but i dont play fretless now so i have the best of both worlds...

the tape wound black strings have some stiction...but i prefer the grip as you do on a full round wound string

• Members

Originally posted by chubrocker

I use half-rounds as well. Flats are too smooth for me. I like feeling the "grip" on the strings with my finger.

That's pretty much the reason for me, as well. Yes, I like the half-wounds' sound better, but ultimately I've never been comfortable playing any type of flatwound, fretted or fretless. I just don't like how they feel.

• Members

I use rounds on some fretlesses, and flats on others, different sounds, neither better or worse in general. Jaco used rounds on his fretless, nothing wrong with it (of course, he did also epoxy the board, so wear was less of an issue).

Unless you're paranoid about the appearance of the fingerboard, don't worry about it, try both and decide what you like.

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

I use rounds on some fretlesses, and flats on others, different sounds, neither better or worse in general. Jaco used rounds on his fretless, nothing wrong with it (of course, he did also epoxy the board, so wear was less of an issue).

Jaco said on the "modern electric bass"-video that he always practiced on a fretted bass because the roundwound strings wore down the fretboard on his fretless' so fast. The Rotosund RS66's (stainless steel) I tried once on my fretless wore down the fingerboard a lot, so I would reccomend halfwounds or flats. Nickel strings might work better too.

Archived