Your Thoughts

fretless

• Members

someone just sent me this , I don't know, discuss :

Subject: Weather Bulletin

Colorado News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the eastern part of Colorado, after two blizzards in 7 days.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Here on the Front Range of the Rockies, and in the plains of Colorado, we have just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with 2 historic blizzards of over 40

• Members

Originally posted by fretless

someone just sent me this , I don't know, discuss :

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets west of the Mississippi River, and east of California, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate." It does seem that way, at least to me.

With the except of a retirement state like Arizona... or a city like Las Vegas that sends billions of tax dollars to Washington...

yeah... I guess I could agree with that statement.

• Members

Meh. It's bad, but it's not like NOLA was after Katrina, so it's not a fair comparison. The areas that got clobbered are very rural, and the loss of life factor is mostly cattle.

That said, here are some comparison pics, from the day after the first storm, to today, from my front door:

Then

IMG_0258.jpg

Today

IMG_0304.jpg

And we're expecting another 12" on Thursday.

:mad:

IMG_0265.jpg

Lucy says "Yo {censored} this, where am I supposed to take a {censored} in this {censored}?"

:D

C7

• Members

Originally posted by MrsSvi

I wonder how many people live on the Front Range of Colorado as opposed to an entire state which includes a very large city. Snow is a hell of a lot different then water too.

Along the Front Range there's over 3 million people. In the whole state there's almost 5 million.

This is a "disaster" in the sense that it's costing the state billions of dollars and will continue to, and livestock are dying. Katrina was a human tragedy. This set of storms isn't even the worst I've seen...

C7

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Along the Front Range there's over 3 million people. In the whole state there's almost 5 million.

This is a "disaster" in the sense that it's costing the state billions of dollars and will continue to, and livestock are dying. Katrina was a human tragedy. This set of storms isn't even the worst I've seen...

C7

My mistake then. I just remember the "Front Range" being all plains, farms, and nothing but boonies. I didn't think the Front Range would include Denver.

• Members

Originally posted by MrsSvi

My mistake then. I just remember the "Front Range" being all plains, farms, and nothing but boonies. I didn't think the Front Range would include Denver.

The "Front Range" is a term for the range of shorter mountains that flank Denver, Ft. Collins, Boulder, and Colorado Springs. When you hear that term it's usually used to describe the urban corridor along I-25 from the Springs to Ft. Collins.

We call the boonies "Aurora".:D

C7

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Meh. It's bad, but it's not like NOLA was after Katrina, so it's not a fair comparison. The areas that got clobbered are very rural, and the loss of life factor is mostly cattle.

That said, here are some comparison pics, from the day after the first storm, to today, from my front door:

Then

IMG_0258.jpg

Today

IMG_0304.jpg

And we're expecting another 12" on Thursday.

:mad:
IMG_0265.jpg
Lucy says "Yo {censored} this, where am I supposed to take a {censored} in this {censored}?"

:D
C7

Wow !

• Members

Send some of that white {censored} to New England! Vermont alone is suffering because snowmobiling alone is a $500 million business, but it requires snow. Same with the ski areas here. Although right now I dont mind the lack of snow in downtown Boston.

Man, you Colorado people have all the luck! :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by jnewcomer

Send some of that white {censored} to New England! Vermont alone is suffering because snowmobiling alone is a $500 million business, but it requires snow. Same with the ski areas here. Although right now I dont mind the lack of snow in downtown Boston.

Man, you Colorado people have all the luck!
:rolleyes:

This is the most snow Denver has seen in 10 years.

The mountains east of Salt Lake City {censored}in' spank CO's for snowfall amounts. Lake effect storms hit a 12,000' wall and stop.:D

But yeah, if you guys want some, come get it. I have PILES of it:

IMG_0305.jpg

• Members

Yeah, why were all those crybaby southerners looking for help. So what if their entire homes, families, neighborhoods, food, water and vehicles are obliterated. They should have done like the good white people of Colorado and put on another layer of clothes (culled from some pool of sewage) and pushed their water soaked trucks to high ground while picking up some other crybaby southerners on the way. And all this talk of taking another 10 years to rebuild, why not just send a small group of Colorado folks with their pickup trucks and they'll have it fixed up in a month. Oh yeah, they're too busy melting snow for drinking water, the poor things.

Does anybody else think the writer of the article quoted in the initial post is an idiot? He deserves George Bush as a president and he deserves FEMA if he ever is faced with a real disaster on the magnitude of Katrina. Hopefully he and the people of Colorado won't have to endure that and he can keep on smirking about his state's ability to cope with some snow, with a delusion that it's similar to Katrina.

Plenty of people down in Louisiana and Mississippi are quietly working hard to put their lives back together, but it's tough when your house disappears with all of it's contents and your insurance company denies coverage. Many who have houses are having to pile their entire contents, including all sheet rock and flooring in the front yard to be hauled to land fills due to contamination and mold. They have to start over finishing the inside of the house from the studs out and getting furnishings and clothing with no money to do it. They'd be happy to melt some snow, wrap in a blanket and write smug letters.

• Members

Originally posted by gbassman100

Yeah, why were all those crybaby southerners looking for help. So what if their entire homes, families, neighborhoods, food, water and vehicles are obliterated. They should have done like the good white people of Colorado and put on another layer of clothes (culled from some pool of sewage) and pushed their water soaked trucks to high ground while picking up some other crybaby southerners on the way. And all this talk of taking another 10 years to rebuild, why not just send a small group of Colorado folks with their pickup trucks and they'll have it fixed up in a month. Oh yeah, they're too busy melting snow for drinking water, the poor things.

Does anybody else think the writer of the article quoted in the initial post is an idiot? He deserves George Bush as a president and he deserves FEMA if he ever is faced with a real disaster on the magnitude of Katrina. Hopefully he and the people of Colorado won't have to endure that and he can keep on smirking about his state's ability to cope with some snow, with a delusion that it's similar to Katrina.

Plenty of people down in Louisiana and Mississippi are quietly working hard to put their lives back together, but it's tough when your house disappears with all of it's contents and your insurance company denies coverage. Many who have houses are having to pile their entire contents, including all sheet rock and flooring in the front yard to be hauled to land fills due to contamination and mold. They have to start over finishing the inside of the house from the studs out and getting furnishings and clothing with no money to do it. They'd be happy to melt some snow, wrap in a blanket and write smug letters.

Put down your torch, hippie. The OP was asking for opinions on the piece. Your crusade can go ahead and bypass this burg, it's already passed through here on it's way.

C7

• Members

Cleveland gets more snow usually than Denver, this winter is an exception. East of Cleveland where I live we get more still due to Lake Erie and lake effect snow. There's never a thing to do except deal with it and we don't toot our own horn over it either.

• Members

Given the fact that I've been through blizzards here in Colorado and also been through hurricanes in Louisiana - there's absolutely no comparison between the two - effectively making that piece null and void. We had very minimal loss of human life throughout these winter storms in Colorado while numerous people died during Katrina. While I completely disagree with how the Katrina {censored} was handled, I still say those storms were on completely different levels and should not be compared as if they were similar.

• Members

Originally posted by Perfessor

Cleveland gets more snow usually than Denver, this winter is an exception. East of Cleveland where I live we get more still due to Lake Erie and lake effect snow. There's never a thing to do except deal with it and we don't toot our own horn over it either.

Sorry. I didn't realize you guys were so much better at dealing with 3 feet of snow at a time, since it happens there like every other week. What a bunch of assholes we are.

C7

• Moderators

. . . . .

The moral of the story is that building a city below sea level is an accident waiting to happen. Why should I have to pay for it? I didn't tell them to build there. FWIW, you might check on how much more orderly and quickly Mississippi is rebuilding after Katrina. NOLA was a disaster before Katrina ever went through. ;)

• Members

I gave my opinion, and then some- my right. If you don't like it become a moderator and delete it and banish me forever. And thanks for the hippy compliment.

Sure it's your right. But you talked {censored} about the original poster when all he said was "I don't know about this". You came in swinging your battleaxe, looking to shout from the ramparts, and then talked {censored} about Coloradans who were merely being speculated upon and used for comparison in the article. I haven't asked for anything, except for asking Santa for new {censored}ing snow tires. That federal money is going to fix the interstates that now have mortar holes from the snowmelt, and to pay for disaster relief on the plains for ranchers that lost all their cattle.

I personally think the article is bull{censored}, too. A blizzard shuts down a city, a hurricane flattens it.

C7

Archived