Your Thoughts

fretless

• Members

Originally posted by RyCLB

Given the fact that I've been through blizzards here in Colorado and also been through hurricanes in Louisiana - there's absolutely no comparison between the two - effectively making that piece null and void. We had very minimal loss of human life throughout these winter storms in Colorado while numerous people died during Katrina. While I completely disagree with how the Katrina {censored} was handled, I still say those storms were on completely different levels and should not be compared as if they were similar.

+1

Apple/orange.

• Members
Originally posted by ThudMaker

The moral of the story is that building a city below sea level is an accident waiting to happen. Why should I have to pay for it? I didn't tell them to build there. FWIW, you might check on how much more orderly and quickly Mississippi is rebuilding after Katrina. NOLA was a disaster before Katrina ever went through.
;)

That's true, building a city below sea level is stupid, not to mention the design and upkeep of the levees and pumps. Building cities on earthquake fault lines is also stupid. So is building on the gulf coast where hurricanes come repeatedly. Or near a volcano that can become active. Or in a mud slide area. Or in any flood plain, ETC ETC. NOLA was in fact a disaster waiting to happen. I don't mind my tax dollars being spent to help people who picked a bad place to live (or be born), even Californians who know the big one is coming.

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Sorry. I didn't realize you guys were so much better at dealing with 3 feet of snow at a time, since it happens there like every other week. What a bunch of assholes we are.

C7

Yep and everyone has to shovel, too. We don't need no stinkin' plow trucks.

• Members

Sure it's your right. But you talked {censored} about the original poster when all he said was "I don't know about this". You came in swinging your battleaxe, looking to shout from the ramparts, and then talked {censored} about Coloradans who were merely being speculated upon and used for comparison in the article. I haven't asked for anything, except for asking Santa for new {censored}ing snow tires. That federal money is going to fix the interstates that now have mortar holes from the snowmelt, and to pay for disaster relief on the plains for ranchers that lost all their cattle.

I personally think the article is bull{censored}, too. A blizzard shuts down a city, a hurricane flattens it.

C7

My post was directed at the author of the article, not the poster, I even said that but maybe you missed it. The poster asked for my opinion about the article and I gave it. My sarcasm was directed at the content of that article and the author, not a forumite or the people of Colorado: "Does anybody else think the writer of the article quoted in the initial post is an idiot?" was my comment. And yeah, I am offended by the way Bush, FEMA and many people in our country responded to the suffering. Most are not upset about it and don't give a rip. Fine. I am pissed about it and happy share my feelings in my own subtle way. Glad to see that you know the article is bull{censored}.

• Members
Originally posted by Perfessor

Yep and everyone has to shovel, too. We don't need no stinkin' plow trucks.

Right. Nobody here shovels and you guys have cars that just glide along through snow.
Did you hear about the avalanche that buried cars in 15 feet of snow and blew several others off the highway? People didn't bother to shovel then, either, they dug the victims out with their bare hands.
Oh wait, avalanches are mundane to Clevelanders. Nevermind. :D
C7

• Members
Originally posted by gbassman100

I don't mind my tax dollars being spent to help people who picked a bad place to live (or be born), even Californians who know the big one is coming.

We do? When?:eek:

• Members

I dont feel sorry for the people that CHOSE to stay in NOLA, when they had plenty warning.
When you live in oh, say, Denver or other cities/towns that have a signif. amout of snow every year, one usally has the means to cope/deal with it. Its a bitch dealing with those amounts of snow, but you at least have been through something like it on a smaller scale.
I grew up in Tuscon and had to cope with the {censored}in' heat!
110-120 in summer sucks, but one gets used to it and then we would where it like a badge of honour.
HEAT?! Quit your whining! I spent every summer with no cooler and could fry an egg on the sidewalk when I was growing up! Damn kids!
NOLA is below sea-level and Kat. was something we've never seen before. A little diff. IMO.
Yeah, KS is getting the "left-overs" from that storm, but its not at all that bad, just damn windy,
because OK sucks and Neb. blows!:D

Hey C7, is that the same dog you got in your avatar pic?
Good lookin' dog ya' got!:D

• Members
Originally posted by dragon9666

When you live in oh, say, Denver or other cities/towns that have a signif. amout of snow every year, one usally has the means to cope/deal with it. Its a bitch dealing with those amounts of snow, but you at least have been through something like it on a smaller scale.

Hey C7, is that the same dog you got in your avatar pic?

Good lookin' dog ya' got!
:D

We see snow like this once every few years or so, but the problem this time around is that it came in 3 big waves; 27", then 3 days later 18", then a couple of days later, another foot. That's what created the problems, they didn't have anywhere to put all the snow they were plowing from the first storm, then we got hit two more times. I still can't park in front of my house, the snow in the street extends 8 feet into the street and it's 2 feet deep, almost solid ice.

The dog in the picture is Lucy:
LinusandLucy2-06004.jpg

The dog in my avatar is Linus:
2edfa850.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by fretless

someone just sent me this , I don't know, discuss :

Subject: Weather Bulletin

Colorado News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the eastern part of Colorado, after two blizzards in 7 days.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Here on the Front Range of the Rockies, and in the plains of Colorado, we have just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with 2 historic blizzards of over 40

• Members
Originally posted by fretless

someone just sent me this , I don't know, discuss :

Subject: Weather Bulletin

Colorado News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the eastern part of Colorado, after two blizzards in 7 days.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Here on the Front Range of the Rockies, and in the plains of Colorado, we have just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with 2 historic blizzards of over 40

• Members

Right. Nobody here shovels and you guys have cars that just glide along through snow.

Did you hear about the avalanche that buried cars in 15 feet of snow and blew several others off the highway? People didn't bother to shovel then, either, they dug the victims out with their bare hands.

Oh wait, avalanches are mundane to Clevelanders. Nevermind.
C7

Now we're getting somewhere.

By the way, we go barefoot all winter.

• Members

We see snow like this once every few years or so, but the problem this time around is that it came in 3 big waves; 27", then 3 days later 18", then a couple of days later, another foot. That's what created the problems, they didn't have anywhere to put all the snow they were plowing from the first storm, then we got hit two more times. I still can't park in front of my house, the snow in the street extends 8 feet into the street and it's 2 feet deep, almost solid ice.

The dog in the picture is Lucy:

LinusandLucy2-06004.jpg

The dog in my avatar is Linus:

2edfa850.jpg

Such cute pups ! :)

Archived