Computers, The Internet & You

Thunderbroom

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yet another Commodore 64 guy here. My mom probably got it in 85(?). It was for the whole family, but at age 7, I was the only one who was interested in it, so I'll call it mine.

I guess I got online in '93 or '94. Local BBS's on a 2400 baud modem. One of best friends hosted the Blue Buddah BBS from his bedroom. I think 7 people could be on his BBS at once!

• CMS Author

Commodore 64 - 1983

Commodore_64_System_s3.jpg

Same with me, sometime around 1984. A few months later I got the 5.25" floppy drive. Those were some serious money back then....$400 for the C-64, and $450 for the drive.

{censored}ing drive failed a month after the 90-day warranty expired. I took it to some hack that lived nearby and paid him $150 to fix it. It still didn't work. I gave up on computing in frustration.

In 1988 I gave it another shot, getting a Packard Bell 286. Paid about $2000 for PC, monitor and Panasonic dot-matrix printer. It was of course obsolete before I even bought it, but didn't know that until later when I couldn't get anything remotely useful to run on it.

It wasn't until 1997 that I got my first AOL membership and got online, but by then I was using someone else's PC's as I had, amazingly enough considering my personal computer experiences, shifted careers to programming.

• Members

I mostly borrowed time on other computers (school, friends) until 1992 when we bought a 486-33 with a whopping 4mb RAM. I also threw in a 14.4 modem.

For getting online, I hit several local bbs'es a while before we got out own computer. My friend let me use his old 8086 PC with a 2400 baud modem in it so I'd typically use that.

• Members

Yep...early 80's for me also with a Commodore although as an electrical engineering student, we used 8088's in labs and various mainframes. I still remember computer punch cards that we used for programming. What a PITA.

My first laptop was a Kaypro like this one:

e921_1.JPG

I used it in the Netherlands for starting up a steel mill and I used it for email access.

I went through a masters program with some kind of inexpensive computer than was more designed for gaming. It had 512k of memory on board and I wanted to add another 128k. I had to solder the memory socket on the motherboard for that one! Later, when I wanted to add a HDD, I called a company called Harddrives International in Tempe AZ. Man, imagine my surprise when they were able to tell me exactly what I needed!

Anyone care to guess what Harddrives International grew up to become?

Yep.....

header_black_logo.gif

• Members

'93 with a 486, went online with a Pentium 133 a couple of years later. I kept that one for quite a while, got a 800mhz packard bell laptop, then a self-built 2GHz AMD machine three years ago. This fall I got myself a MacBook Pro which I am really satisfied with and will be keeping for a looong time.

• Members

Oh, man.

We (being 82Daion, me, and parents) had (and still have) a pair of NCR DM-5s, an NCR PC-4, and about eight NCR 386/486 machines. The first machine I remember using regularly (around age 4/5) was probably a 486 or an original Pentium. I think we got Internet access around that time as well, so 1992-1994ish.

I'm currently using a homebuilt machine with an Intel Core 2 setup.

This is one of the NCR machines:

NCR_PC4_System_s1.jpg

• Members

we had a commodore amiga 64 for years. i remember my brother mail-ordered 1mb of extra ram. it cost him lots! but the amiga then had 2mb and we had worms on it....the worms could then talk :D

i thought that was great! :)

our first pc with web access was in 1998 and it was a Gateway G-350 with 4gb hard drive, 64mb ram, and 4mb graphics. i think we had it for about 6 or 7 years. internet access was thru dial-up with a isp here called oceanfree.

my OWN first computer is a Toshiba Satellite L20-173 laptop, i bought it in feb '06. still have it and i'm using it now :)

i love it, its great. i have 1gb ram, 128mb graphics, 60gb hard drive and DVD-RW drive.

• Members

First computer somewhere in 1989, a C64. First PC - a 286 with a hardware switch that switched from 6 to 8 MHz. Man, I was green with envy when a friend's father bought a 486/DX4 running 33MHz. It was kinda cool to have games run 5x too fast :D

First online? Hm. 1996 or so? Celeron 366. I kept that until... 2003 or something. Actually it's now my mother's computer.

• Members

I know my parents had a computer back when they had those huge floppy disks, I always played some dinosaur game and my brother liked one of those text adventure ones.

I think we got the internet around the time cd-roms came out. Is there anyway to check when you set up a hotmail account? I know I set it up around the same time we got the internet...

• Members

First comp was in 1996 (I grew up poor, so no computers). A Gateway 2000 (back when it was called that), 133mhz Pentium. I bought it primarily to play Warcraft 2 and Daggerfall. Bought one more Gateway after that (2 years later) and I've built my last 4 Comps.

Got AOL at the same time in 1996.

• Members

The first family computer was a Commodore Vic 20 with 5k of RAM and an external 5.25" floppy drive (sometime in the early 80s?) I learned BASIC on that. I remember I made a program of a stick figure doing jumping jacks when I was in 4th or 5th grade. It had some good games also. We used the TV as a monitor.

Commodore Vic 20

vic20.jpg

Then my Dad bought an Apple IIe with dual floppy drive, a monochrome monitor, and dot matrix printer (mid 80s?). No mouse or internet yet. Thanks to the IIe, I never had to use a typewriter. My Dad still uses Appleworks on the IIe for the budget. I guess because he has the spreadsheet fine-tuned, so why change? They have an iMac for everything else.

First internet use was just email on the Vax terminals in college (early 90s). I could dial into the Vax with my Mac IIsi and 14400 baud modem. Never saw a website until sometime around the mid-90s.

I used the Mac IIsi for about 9 years (it was painfully slow when web pages became popular), then got a Rev C iMac, and now have an Intel Duo Core MacBook Pro. Being an engineer, I use PCs, Unix, and Macs, but want a Mac for home use.

• Members

Lessee....

In 1987 I picked up a second hand Commodore 16. I learned to program it in BASIC from a friend that had an Atari 800XL. Probably around 1988 I picked up a used Commodore Plus/4. Remember those? It was the "business model" that C= was trying so hard to pawn off. Round that same time I also had a friend who owned a TI-99/4a that's been referenced many times in this thread (he had the speech emulator, too! -and-, he's also a bassist these days), plus scads and throngs of people who had VIC-20s, C=64s and C=128s. Remember all those 1980s pre-teen computer geek movies? We lived that {censored}. I even saw the Internet once or twice during that time (The Atari + an acoustic coupling). Not much to do in those days.

I discovered guitar around 1989, and the computers all went under the bed. I always wanted to get back into them, but I could never afford an IBM-compatible computer. Shacked up with a roommate that had a 66mhz 486DX2. Got to experience the Intarweb for the first time in 1997. Heh. Anyone ever hang out a Hotelchat.com?

By 1998 I was building my own computer out of parts. Put together a 300mhz AMD K6-II w/ 128mb RAM, 6.4GB HDD and a 16MB RIVA TNT video card. It also had a Yamaha OPLSAX (or something similar) soundcard. I dual booted Win95 and Solaris 7 for awhile, then pitched Win95 and Solaris for Caldera Linux 2.2.. Went through an assortment of Linux incarnations, acquired a metric fsck ton of computer gear, had a massive LAN of old but working boxen lying around for awhile. Wrote programs in PERL and C. Got tired of it all and recycled everything but the K6-II (Running NetBSD) and my newest (but not very new) AMD Athlon (currently running FreeBSD 6.1)...

I was waiting for the computing world to get all the SATA/PATA and 64-Bit bull{censored} squared away before I built another computer, but now that Vista is coming out, I'll wait until it finishes driving the hardware upgrade cycle.

• Members

I started off with a Commodore 128, back in 1989. I was 13.
commodore_c128_1.jpg

Then one day, on my paper-run, I went past a music shop. There was a burnt-orange coloured Charvel-Jackson electric guitar in the window. I promptly went home and said to mum "I'm gonna buy a guitar". She said "How you gonna pay for that?" I said "Sell my computer"... she said "You'll regret it!...

I never did.

30 -40 odd guitars/basses later, in 2000, I flatted with a programmer dude, got a PC and online (napster was the dangerous thing), never looked back.

Archived