Computers, The Internet & You

Thunderbroom

• Members

So, how long have you owned a computer and when did you start your online experience?

First Computer

Bondwell Laptop with a b/w LCD screen, 640k RAM and dual 720k floppies (no hard drive)

I bought my first desktop (a Zeos) in 1990 and starting logging on to BBS's around that time on my 9600 baud modem. I got an AOL account in 1991. My first taste of the internet came via AOL whenever they started offering it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

KIM-1 in 1976 which still works. I was doing stuff online in the same time period through a terminal and an acoustic coupler. In 1978, I had a General Automation SPC16/45 minicomputer w/ 32KB of core memory and a 2.5MB Caleus 3346-type top loading disk drive running GA's RTOS ww/ their extended Fortran and an assembler. I first used the internet in '88 when I was working for Philips.

This one isn't mine.

Kim-1-computer.jpg

At the bottom is a SPC16/80, a faster model but otherwise identical.

spc12_16_small.jpg

• Members

Commodore 64 - 1983

Commodore_64_System_s3.jpg

I have no idea when I got my first modem but I had to buy it and install it into my 298 that had 1 meg of ram and had a 40 meg hard drive. It ran at 12 MHz.

Haha cool! My first was a Commodore Vic 20 back in '84 or '85. The first computer I got on the internet with was my old 25Mhz Macintosh Performa 475, upgraded to a whopping 36 MB and 1 GB hard drive. Those were the days... :cry:

• Members

I didn't start really using computer until about 5 years ago when my job required me to. The internet was all new to me then. Pretty pathetic, huh.

We didn't get our first computer until a few weeks ago. Same with the internet. We never really needed it.

• Members

First computer was a Commodore Vic-20, I was probably 7 or 8, and I first went online with a 386 that had a whopping 1meg of ram and a big 80MB harddrive, and a 2400 baud modem... that was on the ftp internet... I started using the web with images and search engines and stuff in 1995-1996, and I have my hotmail account since then...

• Members

I got my first computer in 1982, an original IBM PC. The one I helped build 2 years before was actually owned by my independant study project partner (we designed and built our own computer and operating system from the ground up). Depending on how you define "online", that probably first happened a year or two earlier. My first use of a computer was in 1975 or 1976, a small machine one of the math teachers at my high school had.

• Members

My family bought a Sinclair ZX81 sometime in the early 80's. Then we upgraded to an Apple IIe, but I was always jealous of the neighbor kids because they had a Commodore 64 and it was WAY better for gaming :)

Here is the Sinclair

zx81.jpg

I started interwebbing around 93-94 when I had access through the high school computer lab. I remember begging and pleading for my parents to subscribe to Prodigy in the early 90's.

• Members

My first pc would have been in about '95 - a lovely 100MHz Pentium, 16mb ram (though I had a game that needed 16, and it seemed to only have 15 of them available...) and a whole 1gig hard drive

We had that on dialup with a mighty 28.8kbs modem, which probably would have been around the same time, or a wee bit later

my dad used computers for work earlier than that though, so myself and my brother got to play on that occasionally (a wee racing game he had, and the excitement (completely seriously, to an 8 year old with no computer experience it was) of MS Paint, that would have been a few years earlier (windows 3.2 is about all I can tell you iirc) and possibly gfetting to do wee bits on the computers at school (bbc's and some early macs) which was probably about the same time

I am too young for most of the 'birth' of computers really, growing up as they developed as user friendly units average people could work ;)

David

• Members

this thing:

ti-994a.jpg
sometime around 1983...

My first online experience was via AOL in 1993.....it's been downhill ever since.

That was my second... my first was a Sinclair. I actually had a modem for my TI and dialed into a BBS to share games. All stored on cassette tapes :thu:

I upgraded the TI to an Apple IIc with dual 5 1/4 floppies, 9pin dot matrix printer and the same acoustic coupler / modem.

My first public internet access came in 94 when my local BBS linked up to the net... Had to retire the Apple IIc for a Mac to browse

• Members

First computer was a Timex-Sinclair 2000, followed by a TI99-4/A which I traded to my friend for his Commodore 64. All this was in the early 80s. Before this I used to mess around at the Tandy Computer Store on the weekends programming their TRaSh 80 Model IIIs and at my friend's house typing code from Byte! and Antic into his Atari 400 and saving it to cassette tape. :)

Got out of computers in the late 80s and didn't get another one until '93. Hooked up with CompuServe and that's how I rolled until Netcom came out in '94 or '95. Various home brewed PCs until 2001 when I got my first Mac (Titanium PBG4). Been using Macs at home ever since.

• Members

My parents bought a 486SX 25 MHz in 1993, the year I graduated high school and left home.

I didn't own my own computer until 1999, I think it was an AMD K6-2 450 MHz.

After burning up the second processor in that machine, I got a Dell P4 in 2002 that I still have and I now also have a Dell Laptop with a Intel Duo T2250.

• Members

First Computer:

circa 1990, an 8088. I bought it for MIDI programming purposes after coming off of workstations like the Roland D-20. Learned basic DOS programming, Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold, and - of course - Sierra games :thu: ! It had a 40 Megabyte harddrive :p

First Online:

circa 94-95. AOL

Archived